Typing in the script editor is extremely slow in macOS

I recently wiped my mac and downgraded from Catalina to macOS High Sierra and it resolved most of my studio issues. Of course it was very annoying backing up all my files and downgrading the operating system but as much as I’m on Roblox it was worth it. I’m upset that it came to wiping my mac and reinstalling everything just to get proper support for Roblox.

1 Like

As a previous mac user the only known fix is to completely factory reset the computer or wait for the problem to magically go away. (Aside from dragging the script editor out as a separate window, but that is extremely annoying)

Changing the screen’s profile settings–as Roblox suggested before–does absolutely nothing.

My Experience:

I have come across this problem twice so far, and the first time I fixed it I had factory reset the Mac. This was after maybe a month of dealing with intense lag on the editor and working in my scripts with the editor on a separate window dragged out. It totally fixed it.

Second time I encountered this problem it went away within two weeks. I did nothing to change it, and just randomly disappeared.

TL;DR
Roblox prioritizes Windows so don’t bet on a fix. Factory resetting is the way to go.

Hey developers! So I’ve had an issue with ROBLOX Studio for about 3 weeks now, which is the script editor extremely delaying characters when I type on studio.

As I stated, the possible bug started happening about 2 - 3 weeks ago. I do not exactly remember if it was after an update or sometime after, but it was most likely roughly after an update. This bug seems to delay the characters after I type them in (seemingly 3 - 5 seconds).

I previously made a forum post about it, though I got instructed to review older posts and see if they had the solution to my problem, which they didn’t.

I have read similar problems to mine but not many solutions have worked. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling studio and chrome and that did not seem to work. I have tried most solutions/fixes that where on other forum posts.

Here is an example of this bug:
https://gyazo.com/029a503ffd6be9f90a9ed9710601f0c0

If anyone knows a solution/fix to this issue please let me know. This is severely affecting my abilities to develop on studio and making it extremely hard to work on my games. Everything else in studio works perfectly fine except the script editor.

Here is my mac status:
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 8.50.57 PM

I have found a solution to my issue, the steps on how I fixed it are listed below.

Go to finder and press cmnd + shift + g
You should now be on this page:
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.08.08 PM
Now type in ~/Library/Preferences.

Once you are on that page, find your ROBLOX folder and click it.
Go to preferences and select all com.roblox files and move them to the trash, they look like this:
Screen_Shot_2020-06-05_at_11.00.16_PM

Do be aware when you delete these files some of your studio settings will be reset.

After that log into studio and your script editor should no longer be delaying characters when you type, and you can finally program without lag!

Also, this solution may not work for you, it worked for me but i’m posting it here incase it would work for other developers having the same issue.

17 Likes

I have found a solution to my issue, the steps on how I fixed it are listed below.

This also worked for me. I feel dumb now that I didn’t think of it. I assumed that a fresh install of Roblox Studio would also reset the preferences.

Could anyone else who attempts the solution of deleting these preferences files please save a copy of them beforehand, and send them to us in the case where that fixes the problem? (They may contain personally identifying information, so please PM them or post them privately)

3 Likes

ty, this worked for me as temporal solution. :smile:

1 Like

Well, i deleted the folder “com.Roblox.RobloxStudio” and now studio its working fine.Captura de Pantalla 2020-06-30 a la(s) 10.48.49

1 Like

Wooow! What OS are you currently on?

i’m on MacOS Catalina, MacBook Air

Currently experiencing this issue on:
macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta 20A4299v
macOS Catalina 10.15.5

System specs:

Where do I find that?
“com.Roblox.RobloxStudio”

i found it with the com files…, not sure if you have that folder.

Unfortunately this fix isn’t working for me, I’m on a fresh install of macOS and Studio rn and I’m experiencing this out of the box, no com files have been created yet.

They’re both fresh installs, I wiped my Mac completely and installed both OSes.

UPDATE: After finding some com related files and reinstalling studio: this issue is still persisting (I am currently using Catalina)

I have also seen reports of this issue on Windows machines as well, which I have linked below:

im using windows 10

studio will do the same.

it only happens in scripts baseplate world is fine just only in scripts it slows down in…

it will lag skip across screen while in said script…

Tried that, this happened https://imgur.com/a/jET5vJX

Fixed it by reinstalling studio, it works now, thanks.

This has been happening to me ever sense I got my new iMac 2020 27", did anyone find a real way to fix this? I’ve been trying to find a way to fix this! I got my new Mac around a week or 2 ago… What should I do

1 Like

Create a new user account on your Mac and then download studio on that, this fix I discovered a few months back and seems to help provide at least a temporary solution for those facing the issue. It is a bit annoying having to pivot accounts but it works.

2 Likes