UI Selection Between Screen/Surface/BillboardGuis

Hi Developers,

Our goal is to make sure the UI selection works in any situation and layout imaginable, so your UI works without needing to write platform specific code. In addition to being able to reach all the buttons on a ScreenGui with four directional navigation, we’re happy to announce that the automatic selection will now also be able to jump between screen, surface and billboard GUIs without any extra code or properties.

The UI Selection feature will now have the capability to navigate between all your buttons under the following conditions:

• Buttons must be visible and within the screen boundaries.
  • The Selectable property of the buttons must be set to true.
  • The buttons must be descendants of the PlayerGui.
  • In the case of SurfaceGuis, buttons at extreme angles will not be considered for selection.

If you’d like to customize the selection movement beyond the automatic selection, we encourage you to look into our selection APIs and try it out with a gamepad or our UI navigation key bindings.

Feedback

As always, we would love to hear any feedback you may have on UI selection, including any issues you run into or missing capabilities.

245 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Beautiful, a massive improvement for controller users.

44 Likes

Great improvement, good to see continued work on making things ‘just work’ across the platform without devs having to spend time on game-exclusive code.

41 Likes

This looks like a very useful thing. is there a way where developers can keep them separate?

Also when do you think most of those mid 2023 features are coming out?

24 Likes

Awesome change. As someone who occasionally plays on controller, this will make things easier. This should also help UI designers (like me) optimize games for controllers. All around very nice.

23 Likes

Yes! You can prevent selection from escaping by setting the Screen/Surface/BillboardGui’s SelectionGroup property to true and all of the SelectionBehavior to Stop. Also leaving SelectionBehavior on escape will prevent the selection from jumping between GuilLayerCollectors unless there are no other options. This feature is already live :slight_smile:

20 Likes

That sounds really cool! I might even try messing around with it in studio thanks!

13 Likes

I was almost going to write my own GUI library at some point but I guess I no longer have to now, yippee!
Thanks a lot for this update.

11 Likes

This is neat but what happens if the Surface/BillboardGui is far away but not at an extreme angle?

15 Likes

FINALLYYY, to put this into comparison:

Instead of saying “you”, I say “u” to save that microsecond of effort,
and now instead of having to navigate to the properties of the billboard/screen/surface gui I can just click on them? THANK YOU, it will definitely save me like 15 seconds, much needed update.

14 Likes

OH MY GOD AMBATUK-

Ok seriously, good job ROBLOX. Proud of you on this one.

However… may want to focus on Byfron issues?!
nudge nudge: Roblox Player Will Not Launch

8 Likes

Can the backslash key be optional? I accident press it and the first time, I didn’t know how to turn it off.

12 Likes

Really nice change, good job Roblox.

10 Likes

Pressing backslash again will unselect the currently selected UI element

13 Likes

Really cool update. Great to see.

8 Likes

This feature has caused crashing on all of my games for Consoles and players with gamepads connected.

2 Ways to reproduce:

• Set VirtualCursorMode to Default, open the Pets menu (or Tank upgrade menu), and press the Select button on the controller
    or
  • (VirtualCursorMode can be anything) set GuiService.SelectedObject to a frame inside the pets UI or tank upgrade menu

I’m not sure what it’s called exactly, but it seems to be anything that makes the white selection box appear inside those UI’s makes the game instantly crash.

Game link: Tank Simulator X (Clicker) - Roblox

Game Link: 🐔Farming Simulator [UPD5] - Roblox

9 Likes

This is a really great feature! Helps with users who are on controllers, so I believe this will benefit games which have support for these users!

8 Likes

@AykeriZero :warning:
Can this update be reverted or fixed ASAP?
It’s causing instant crashing for anyone using an Xbox or Game Controller alongside Selection Groups.

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about this issue.
We have rolled back this update due to an issue found with selection. We will circle with updates once the feature becomes available again.

12 Likes