Upcoming Changes to Avatar Catalog Upload Requirements

That is true both developers and clothing designers need better protection when it comes to stealing.
While your clothing can be stolen our entire games can as well. I think Roblox should listen to the community and help do something to prevent stealing. The way there trying to do it currently just isn’t a good use of moderation.

Someone had brought up the claim of

Having to pay to upload clothing is like you having to pay each time you make an update

And I can see where that person is coming from. Roblox really could use an update with this type of stuff and having some require a payment to upload something is a bit crazy. Sure it does kind of help a bit but a revamp on the moderation asset wise.

I removed my previous post as well, hopefully the catalog gets a reset with all the botted clothing as it is really annoying currently.

2 Likes

I totally agree.

I totally agree, and have been trying to make this point. This fee might get rid of bots, might not, but most likely in my opinion it will help the bots and stop the small clothing designers who put effort into their clothing. I get that not everything is free, and you have to pay every once in awhile, but I thought you could create on Roblox for free.

4 Likes

Techinacly, us devs don’t need to pay a single robux in order for us to launch a good game. You can pay Robux for badges, a group + roles and such, but it isn’t needed. You could set up a team of friends to create a game, have it owned by the main developer, have in-game badges, and advertise through groups/friends. In creating clothing, the only actual thing you would need is a program to make clothing and premium, which can be used by a friend’s account. Now their changing it so it’s necessary to pay Robux for clothing designers. Virtually, it costs more to create clothing than make a game.

3 Likes

Honestly, I have very contrasting opinions on this update.

As a small designer myself, I believe that this upload fee is indeed way too far. I make a few sales a day if I’m lucky, and I’m sure I’m not alone. If your purpose of this update is to stop bots from copying clothing off the roblox catalog, I’m afraid you should lower the prices. Non-premium members should be paying around 25-50 robux per upload, and premium members should be paying 25 robux max.

Though this update may be viewed as a positive impact to some of the roblox members, I’m afraid many people including small designers may quit or at least have limited ability. Premium users may no longer want to pay for a premium membership because they no longer have any benefits other than more robux monthly and other insignificant uses. Lowering the price and having a discount for premium users seems to be the best idea.

Scammers/bots that copy and re-upload clothing off the roblox catalog probably don’t want to pay thousands of robux to make a little bit of robux, which will stop most botting. Designers no longer would need to worry about:

• Having their clothing copied
  • Needing premium
  • Needing a lot of robux

To me, this solution I provided above (and others have most likely mentioned before) seems to be a win-win situation. Any other opinions?

3 Likes

This doesn’t sit 100% right with me. The idea of being able to upload as many clothing pieces as possible gave designers the chance to make revenue to higher possibilities. Now, small designers will only be able to upload a few pieces, causing them to not get out there enough. Larger designers already have premium, so this update does not revolve around them, but rather smaller creators. For small creators, this means “more money put in = more money earned,” which is more of an investment game. Right now, it is currently a “more effort = more money earned” kind of system. This gives smaller creators the ability to make more revenue depending on how much time they spend designing to create more and more clothes, rather than the amount of money they spend making clothes.

In my opinion, an upfront payment of premium is a better option, giving such smaller designers the ability to design without limits once premium has been purchased.

Plus, uploading designs isn’t always perfect the first time, and this applies to even experienced designers. Without even a preview option, someone can make a small mistake on their design template, have to pay for that, only to realize where they messed up after it has been published. If this new update is being finally implemented, I highly consider adding this kind of “preview feature” integrated on the site so designers know what they are uploading before wasting their money on a mistake. I understand you will allow testing on studio, but you have to understand not everyone’s device has the capability of opening that program. I could not open that on a new MacBook Air without intense lag/failure.

4 Likes

I think a player owned catalog would be nice.
Here’s what the requirements would need to be though

Requirements
  • A custom search system
  • Verified designers
  • Each submission goes through human verification to prevent botting
  • Sorting System
  • Etc
2 Likes

This is most definitely, for me, the worst idea Roblox has thought of.

“we hope that this will lead to a better Shop experience for both shoppers and creators”

Didn’t realise that the word Shop was a synonym of moderation and shoppers and creators were synonyms of content moderators…
Edit: The corrected version should be “we hope that this will lead to a better moderation experience for content moderators”.

It does not enhance the experience of shoppers and creators in any way.

Most clothing items cost R$5. Clothing designers struggle as-is to turn over a profit but now, with this update, the thought that you will have to sell 34 (100/3 robux after tax) pieces of that clothing item to break-even simply demotivates designers and thins content on the site drasitcally.

The fee will also mean some creators choose to increase their prices, changing the ‘convention’ that clothing costs R$5 - this means that less people will buy clothing so Roblox will lose out on sales.

Sure, this means Roblox can thin their content moderation team, but at what cost? Putting a huge part of Roblox in contempt so that Roblox can continue making profit by making redundancies is a terrible idea.

With creators discouraged from creating and buyers discouraged from spending because of higher prices, how does this update benefit anybody else apart from the Roblox Corporation?

7 Likes

We don’t know what the fee is going to be. It could be lower than 100. Maybe 25.

2 Likes

I based what I said off of this: T-Shirts Suddenly Cost Robux to Put Up for Sale

1 Like

And that is most likely subject to change.

Doesn’t change much for us, most small designers don’t make more than 2 or 3 sales, so we’d still only be at 6,9 robux per outfit.

3 Likes

exactly!

it may seem all sunshine and rainbows but in reality its already hard enough to make anything of clothes, and this will flood the clothing market, as if there wasnt enough competition already?

so to sum it up: roblox takes 30% already now they want money before hand too
putting u in negative profit and then u sell something and break equal and thats if it does well.

bad idea in my opinion.

5 Likes

either tax us on clothing or charge us to upload it both is excessive honestly very irritating and what happens if u accidentallly upload clothing thats got errors
can i change it?
refund it?
if its the botting problem your trying to solve damage done already in the market place unless u find some way to reverse that first.

3 Likes

This sounds good until the bots change the hue, gamma, or even a few pixels. Even with 16 bit color, there are 65535 available colors per pixel. Let’s assume the bot picks 20 random pixels to alter, probably from an area users wouldn’t even notice. See the problem?

Roblox already stores asset hashes to aid in moderation, but doing what I mentioned earlier alters the hash, having a moderator check the asset again.

5 Likes

This would just favor big designers over small ones.

So does the current upload system; botters will just use captcha farms/services.

3 Likes

I clearly wasn’t clear (not to sound rude)

Verified designers

With verified designers yes they will be bumped towards the front of the page but it will help prevent a bunch of spam bots. Also I did say “player owned catalog” therefor the players of roblox will manage this catalog so we can kind of bump users towards the front page of the catalog itself.

Each submission goes through human verification to prevent botting

When you upload a clothing item it won’t put it on the catalog right away. It will be sent to a submission stage which moderators will be able to look at your submissions and either accept or decline it.

After 5+ Clothing items being uploaded you can upload freely but you’ll be maxed out to 5 uploads a day.
If any bots somehow bypass the systems we can easily remove all the items they have on the catalog to clear up some space.

4 Likes

How about using an AI to compare similar shirts and then sends them to a moderation queue like for ads? Obviously there must be an upload rate limit in this system.

1 Like

Hey all,

The upload and selling fees feature is being rolled out for some users.

Here’s a summary of some of the changes you may see:

• Premium is no longer required to make 2D clothing.
  • All users, regardless of whether they have Premium, earn 70% of their item sales.
  • 2D shirts and pants cost 50 R$ per item to upload.
  • T-shirts can be uploaded at no cost, but there is a one-time fee of 50 R$ the first time the item is put on sale.

As a reminder, this only applies to items created AFTER this feature goes live - existing items will not be subject to any upload or selling fee.

We will be monitoring over the next few days to make sure there are no issues, but expect this to roll out to everyone very soon. We will link here to the updated developer wiki documentation once the feature is live for all.

Thank you all again for your feedback and stay tuned for more updates to the 2D clothing shop!

84 Likes

This is devastating. All of our fears of a high fee have come true. Well Roblox, say goodbye to 75% of your talented, hard-working, honest clothing designers. :woman_shrugging:

Stalking/tracking someone down just because you saw their username in a YouTube video is weird and unusual. Stop it, get some help.

252 Likes

It’s a shame to see that this feature has continued to be rolled out after the responses we all see above on this thread and the testimonies of designers.
What I’d like to know is will there be talks with leaders in the clothing community to see if there can be a better solution to such a big issue?
If the developer relations or appropriate teams asked proper questions and spoke to the people it affects direct, a better result can always be achieved.

112 Likes