Updated In Experience Controls on Roblox

I’d really prefer if Report wasn’t included in the More Menu. Or better yet, give us the option to remove Report and hide the unibar entirely.

10 Likes

The best way to improve experience controls: Allow us to completely disable it or automatically disable it once a developer disables every core UI element. I do not want to see the box button reserving an unnecessary amount of space with only the useless report button inside it. (Why is there a report button on the control menu anyway? It takes two clicks to access the menu normally.)

18 Likes

Allow us to collapse everything into a signle (Roblox Menu) button, once again. (And make all this smaller)

While I like the changes that were made from the initial Experience Controls preview, this is still a huge mess in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the design of the Experience Controls, this design would be great if Roblox only had its CoreUI and developers were not able to create their own UI. However, reality is different, and that makes this UI pretty intrusive and hard to work with in certain, if not most, cases.

Games have different styles and identities, some games attempt to follow Roblox’s style, while some games attempt to incorporate their own unique styles. With the new forced toolbar, you can far more easily see the design inconsistencies in the screenshots that you provided.

I’ve already asked this, but please, listen to the developer and their feedback. Experience Controls isn’t something that I think we hate because its “Experience Controls”, we don’t like it because it is imposing an even bigger limit to our creativity and our games’ identities.

Also, here is a comparison of Theme Park Tycoon’s UI in 2016 and 2024, with one UI being far more easily incorporated alongside the required topbar “hamburger” icon and the new topbar (Experience Controls).

22 Likes

can you allow developers to adjust the background transparency?

10 Likes

The only thing I would suggest is the ability for players to toggle between the new ui and the old ui. I can see other people struggling with the new ui, as I have been.

9 Likes

Don’t forget Topbar Plus by @ForeverHD!

8 Likes

I don’t know if there’s a way to do so right now, but I think it’d be great for immersion if we could take out the controls entirely and only keep the Escape menu button/only show the Chat button. Some games aren’t made with a free mouse in mind. I really like this design though.

12 Likes

I think my favorite part of this entire thing is that we don’t have to guess where to put topbar buttons anymore. A most welcome change for me :muscle::muscle::speaking_head:

7 Likes

Please revert these changes. I am now stuck with this UI on every device, even my 1366x768 laptop.

7 Likes

Just so everyone knows,

Using the following code in ReplicatedFirst, you can completely kill the CoreGui (you need to do some tinkering with PlayerScripts though)

game.Players.LocalPlayer:WaitForChild("PlayerScripts"):Destroy()
game:GetService("StarterGui"):SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.All, false)

This bug used to work as it does now but was nerfed to only working after teleports when the new loading screen was added (you needed a custom teleport screen so it didnt softlock the game)

guess what? this regression of a UI unpatched a bug that got patched 2 years ago! I disclosed this in January and it never got fixed!

18 Likes

Glad to see this issue finally being addressed. Constantly activating my microphone on accident due to its positioning above my avatar was such an annoyance.

6 Likes

please make the topbar customizable for devs, make us be able to toggle features, make the inset smaller, remove the circle around the roblox logo and so on

7 Likes

New experience controls are great and I’m looking forward to them going live, but I did notice one issue today with the Self View controls when I accidentally opened it during a Play Test of a project. Please see “Self View Issue Report” below for details.

P.S. I would have posted this in the bug report subforum but I don’t have permission to do so, so I hope that you’ll accept the following report here instead :slight_smile:

Self View Issue Report

1. Issue

1.1. Summary

Opening self view controls causes a significant erroneous rise in memory usage which I presume is due to some memory leak in the new top bar.

UPDATE 1:

I take it back, it looks like this might be a C-side issue instead? The memory leak only occurs when Motion Tracking is enabled. Opening Self View with motion tracking disabled doesn’t result in the same behaviour and does not suffer the same memory leak.

Disabling motion tracking seems to suspend the memory leak but does not deallocate, and re-enabling motion tracking resumes the memory leak.

UPDATE 2:

Tested on an Mac Pro M2 running Sonoma 14.4.1 out of interest and could not reproduce the issue

1.2. Reproduction

Note: Closing the self view controls did not reverse and/or allow for the memory to be deallocated, RAM usage continued to climb regardless. However, the mem was slowly deallocated when the play session was closed which is why I’m presuming it’s due to the new experience controls.

Please note that you should see UPDATE above for why this initial assumption was wrong!

1. Open a new studio session in a blank place and start a Play Test session

2. Enable live view through experience controls - ensure that the “Motion Tracking” option is enabled (seems to be enabled by default so you may not have to do this manually?)

3. Wait & watch as RAM usage skyrockets

4. Disable Motion Tracking and note that (1) no memory is freed and (2) that no new memory is allocated

5. Re-enable Motion Tracking and note that erroneous memory allocation resumes and the RAM usage will start to climb once again

6. Stop the Play Test session and note that the memory is slowly freed

1.3. Associated files

1.3.1. Video(s)

Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/YjEkccNF2bk - see the “See Video Timestamp breakdown” detail section below for a breakdown of what’s happening if you’d prefer to scrub the video

See Video Timestamp breakdown
  • Timestamp 00:00 → 00:04

• Starting Play Test session
  • Timestamp 00:05 → 00:07

• Self View opened with Motion Tracking enabled
  • Timestamp 00:08 → 00:16

• Memory leak shown, see RAM usage climb approx. 1GB
  • Timestamp 00:17 → 00:24

• Motion Tracking is disabled, note that memory does not increase whilst disabled but it is not deallocated
  • Timestamp 00:25 → 00:33

• Motion Tracking is enabled again, and we reach 5.2GB of mem usage
  • Timestamp 00:34 → 00:45

• Toggled Motion Tracking again to show that this is a repeatable step
  • Timestamp 00:46 → 00:50

• Self View is closed whilst Motion Tracking is enabled but mem usage continues to climb, we reach ~7GB of mem usage by this point; this does not seem to have an upperbound, the highest I reached was 20GB before I decided to force exit the app
  • Timestamp 00:51 → 01:02

• Closing Play Test session to show that mem is slowly deallocated

1.3.2. Image(s)

Task manager image:

1.3.3. Memory log file from Console

Note: See CoreMemory->default for the memory hungry offender

19-06-24__self_view_memoryleak.log.txt (45.9 KB)

1.3.4. Studio log file

I didn’t want to add it here since it contains host information and request traces but I have saved the Studio log file that was created during the attached video. I would be happy to send this to you if needed via DM, feel free let me know if you need it.

2. Background

2.1. Roblox Metadata

• Channel: zbeta
  • RBLX Studio Version: 0.629.0.6290609
  • Any additional Fast Flags: None applied

2.2. Hardware information

Highly doubt it’s needed but:

• CPU: AMD 5950x
  • GPU: Nvidia 3070
  • RAM: 32gb DDR4 @ 3600Mhz

2.3. Motion tracking related hardware

• Webcam: I did not have my webcam connected to my device when Self View was accidentally opened, and it remained disconnected for all subsequent tests
8 Likes

Will developers still be able to hide all buttons (except the Roblox icon) if they choose to, like in the legacy UI? In the older version of the updated experience controls a few months ago, these buttons could not be hidden, even when StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.All,false) was set. There are some times where I prefer nothing to be on the screen except for the Roblox icon. I also feel that having another button for reporting is redundant because it can already be accessed by clicking the roblox icon.

20 Likes

Way not

1. make it smaller or add a api to choose properties like transparancy image and color maybe a service in the data model like what we can do with the chat like size from 40 to 36
  2. Do all in the ESC menu button like if you double click it opens the ESC menu or something but so we have only one button

Im busy with on the left side make some buttons to toggle the chat and between some other menus a map and some pannel I only should have the chat and emotes and voice into that if we can make it smaller it can fit with my size chat since it’s not conflict other menus

O and the pin items not save at first and if you rotate your screen it does remove one

5 Likes

@workbloxing Will this mean the VR bug with the new top bar insets gets resolved? Its been several months and VR breaks completely whenever playing live versions of the game using this improved notch system.

4 Likes

I cannot play without getting distracted by that new humongous size menu button…

4 Likes

I second this. We have almost no control over core gui rn and it’s pretty frustrating

6 Likes

For the last time - we do not want the topbar “reserved size” to be increased from its current size!

There is no rationale for this. OK, you can claim it’s better for mobile but this simultaneously results in a much worse desktop experience.

There’s also the fact that the new UI looks like an eyesore and can’t be disabled to the same extent as the current CoreGui (where everything bar the menu button can be turned off).

Please do not go ahead with this update in its current form.

11 Likes

I just wish Roblox would choose a top bar and make it consistent across all clients!!

We should not have to detect what topbar a client has and reactively match our game’s top bar to that.

Meanwhile, we are stuck with a mismatch if we don’t do that.

player joins game, do they have the humongous topbar or legacy topbar?, we don’t know, lets check… if humongous then give humongous custom game topbar icons, else, give smaller icons…
do they have the legacy topbar with right justified button, or new one with only left justified buttons… oh they have the old one, we can’t put a button in the top right corner then… hmmm
oof

9 Likes