Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

For water u ll have to make 25 normals to work with

1 Like

Yep, good luck to whoever wishes to do that

We already have PBR water that splashes and stuff through SurfaceAppearance but I canā€™t find the post

1 Like

that is true but textures cannot follow Uv-maps sadly

Could we have the feature to create our own material instead of editing the default ones?

1 Like

I think its planned, they gonna expand it

What do you mean? Sounds like a Blender thingā€¦

2 Likes

We should be able to also make our own slots as well incase we run out of Materials. This will solve so many of my problems.

2 Likes

Terrain may be a bit tricky to add custom materials to since it has properties unique to itself like random tilling and blending.

So are you talking about this?

Or are you talking about changing the overall look of water, because Iā€™ve managed to do that and it wasnā€™t easy.

Hereā€™s how I did it:

10 Likes

Wow I can see this being super useful, I canā€™t wait to use this.

iā€™ve found that some good texture sites are:

https://www.textures.com/

8 Likes

You and me brother.
It would be better, and they could even keep the current materials as presets.
There was and old post explaining the difficulties. (Keyword: old)
But there are some developer discussion threads about this too.

Some points i donā€™t fully agree with, but times might have changed enough.
Continue in dm? (with time delays)

Best update ever!

While this was fun at the end, but to create all the materials it took years and lotā€™s of storageā€¦ :pensive:

10 Likes

What website has those textures, or did you make them yourself? They look really nice.

1 Like

I think it is not possible through surface appearence. It cant have transmission

1 Like

Yes that is why if players wants play ur game he will take 20min for loading on low end pc.

1 Like

Is there any chance we will be able to stop the material offset from being random? I am trying to make tiles but they keep being cut off.

17 Likes

This bursts of updates, as someone who was using this platform for architecture models, is just such useful stuff. I finally donā€™t have to use hundreds of textures that wonā€™t look as detailed as proper materials! Thank you for all this <3

2 Likes

Yep, they should add a stud offset like they did with the textures

Would be nice as that would then allow for custom (or classic) Stud designsā€¦

2 Likes

Someone did it but it took them ages, this will be easier (I hope)