VR Updates: OpenXR, Height Scaling and Floor Tracking

This update caused me to experience an issue where I could not load either the Roblox Player or Roblox Studio apps. The Player would load the application as normal until it was time to render the game, then it would disappear and take up a significant amount of CPU usage in the background and showed my status as “Playing” on the site. Studio would open the starting splash screen then standard “whiteout” crash.

There are already bug reports on this issue, but I wanted to share my workaround; open SteamVR (Oculus is also worth a try)! Just having the application running let me open studio as normal and resume work. Do not reinstall windows or reformat your drive as some have suggested.

I hope these two issues are related and that we will be seeing a fix soon.
Otherwise, I’m excited to implement these features into my next game! Our project is very social and features like these let us focus on adding more ways for users to express themselves instead of spending time making complicated frameworks.

5 Likes

It’s great to see updates improving VR for Roblox. Super optimistic about this. OpenXR is a huge step forward!

2 Likes

There is a difference between VR and AR. In AR you cannot play any quality games. Heck, Apple wont even support VR games due to lack of controllers.

3 Likes

Did this happen to cause the bug where vr opens when I start studio again?

3 Likes

Is Roblox planning to put the Roblox App to the Meta Quest Store?

6 Likes

I’ve got some encountered bugs on this update to report so far;

1. Hiding the controller models and the laser pointer do not stay hidden.

• If you open Oculus Dash or the SteamVR menu, and then return to the client, the controller models and the laser pointer unexpectedly reappear.
    • Since Nexus VR makes use of the laser pointer anyways, this isn’t too big of a deal.
    • But with R6 VR, the module does not call for the laser pointer or the controller models to be hidden again.
  2. If you use Oculus Dash or the SteamVR menu to close the client or studio, it causes both to crash instead of closing them.

(Oculus Dash crashing has nothing to do with the player, so that has been disregarded in this overhaul.)

3. Opening Oculus Dash or the SteamVR menu while looking in any direction always makes the camera recenter in that direction upon opening the menu and returning to the client.

• This is particularly annoying because this makes the client recalibrate the camera on it’s own in other words, requiring me to physically recalibrate before pressing the VR menu button.
  4. The new chat service cannot be opened up in VR, it seems as though the new chat service isn’t compatible with VR.

5. When the Safety Bubble fades out users with Layered Clothing equipped, the framerate drops considerably, and worsens the more the bubble hides.

(This issue is caused by Layered Clothing, and has already been reported almost last year.)

Latest Edits: I really wanted to overhaul this reply. Corrected spelling. Even the safety bubble isn’t safe from layered clothing.

7 Likes

Will ROBLOX ever look into options for Finger Tracking support? Many developers that utilize VR including myself have been praying for any sort of implementation, so many creative things can be done with it. There’s a few suggestions to try and alleviate the problems of obscene hand signs on this thread following my reply: Roblox VR System Update - #245 by norperz

8 Likes

I don’t think they will need to, if you watched the event they said that iPad apps will automatically be ported.

3 Likes

When using Roblox studio in VR by means of SteamVR and Virtual Desktop, the program throws an error message when attempting to do any play test after the first one.

Controller inputs also do not work when using this method.

8 Likes

Thats for the 2D app, also Roblox has the right to opt out, they did this with the iPad app for Apple Silicon Macs and we are only hearing from Roblox Staff that the Apple Silicon Native version will come very soon.

I also think it is part of their engine (forget the name of it, this is also why Apple Silicon Support for Roblox was delayed as well) weather or not they support Apple Vision Pro.

7 Likes

This update is amazing, but…

5 Likes

Hey, so there’s been an issue recently. A bug that was fixed has basically been un-fixed by this update. Previously it was stated in the fix from 2021 that you’d “now have to make sure steamvr is running first before you can play in VR”

but now once again steamvr starts itself. it’s been extremely disruptive to workflow and takes up unecessary system resources.

7 Likes

That basically beats the point of VR if you have to be sitting down at your desk with a keyboard and mouse or using a controller

8 Likes

I’m having this same exact issue right now.I’m not sure what to do about it at all.

4 Likes

I’d love one, VR itself is confusing as-is. Roblox’s implementation isn’t great, as many have said over the years.

This week (week of 6/26/2023) I’ve been working on VR with Unity. After said week, I hope to dive deeper and compare the implementation between Unity and Roblox. With Unity, I ‘build and run’ my project and it just appears on the Meta Quest 2 VR headset. I’ll be sure to test out more, but an app on the store would be awesome.

5 Likes

after this update me and a lot of other people in my discord server have noticed that we just… can’t open roblox in VR at all

even with OpenXR set to SteamVR, launching a game with SteamVR open and ready just loads the desktop version of the game instead :frowning:

really sad too cause i just spent like 5 days working on an update to the VR in my game only to find out i can’t playtest it at all :skull:

5 Likes

I just had my bug report closed after reporting that the Meta Quest 2 doesn’t work with SteamVR (my only way to play). Turns out, Roblox doesn’t support (and probably won’t support) Meta Quest 2 through SteamVR but still has the Oculus Touch input method available despite having no tracking or proper input bindings. This is a massive issue as every one of my friends uses Virtual Desktop to play PCVR games and cannot use the Oculus app due to it being laggy through our WiFi, unlike Virtual Desktop.

If Roblox stopped supporting Oculus devices through SteamVR, I officially have to stop working on VR projects on Roblox since I am unable to even use Roblox in VR as I have a Meta Quest 2 and only use SteamVR. Literally every VR title on my computer uses SteamVR except Roblox.

This update single-handedly made Roblox VR completely unusable for me.

6 Likes

I am having major annoying problems with VR (I have HTC Vive).

Problem 1: Whenever I launch anything ROBLOX related (studio and such), it launches SteamVR. Yes, I know, rename the SteamVR folder, blah blah blah, but its getting tiring and repetitive. Sometimes, it doesnt work at all for some reason and prompting me to unplug everything VR related from my PC.

Problem 2: Whenever I do intend to do VR stuff in studio and test play, ROBLOX Studio and SteamVR closes itself.

Does anybody know a fix or file a report? I cant really post on Bug Reports.

Edit: Seems like SteamVR doesn’t detect Roblox Studio

3 Likes

As mentioned above you have to set OpenXR as the runtime in SteamVR. There are currently a couple of bugs with OpenXR that were fixed, but are waiting for the next client release (~583).
This includes Roblox Player not launch VR through SteamVR, Studio shutting down VR when your headset goes to sleep and Quest controllers being supported directly in SteamVR.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I do hope that Oculus headsets can also be tracked as it is unable to in the current release. If that is already fixed in the new releases coming up, I am very happy! :smiley:

1 Like