What are Free Model Viruses? What can they do?

Disclaimer: This post is talking about the Roblox Free Model Viruses – not actual trojans/viruses.

What are Free Model Viruses?

Free Models viruses are small bits of code usually in scripts that are made to annoy players or ruin the game development for the owner.
There are 3 classifications I say, n00b viruses, amateur viruses, and advanced viruses. I will get on to what these viruses are later on.

What Types of “Viruses” are there?

There are 3 classifications I say, n00b viruses, amateur viruses, and advanced viruses, like I said before.

n00b viruses are viruses that are easily removable, and the way to remove them is pretty easy, Ro-Defender.

Ro-Defender is an oldie, but a goodie. It detects usual viruses, this includes:

• Fire Spamming
  • d???ng… spam value viruses (vaccine)
    It’ll remove them in a matter of seconds and are easily removable.

Amateur viruses contain hidden viruses that are a bit harder to find, these usually contain things like getfenv or require and teleport you to another game or spam you with third-party sales.

These ones are harder to get rid of, but there is still a remedy, I would recommend GameGuard Anti Virus V2 , it is a newer and more advanced system compared to RoDefender. It can also scan to your plugins, so it’ll be more useful when we get to the advanced virus section.

Advanced viruses are viruses you will find in plugins. These include plugin viruses that hide their code and what they do is teleport you to another game or third-party teleports, but unlike the other ones, these ones are hidden and much harder to find. I would still recommend using Gameguard Anti-Virus V2, but you can also do an old method by disabling all your plugin you don’t know.

Myths and Facts

Free Models can give you trojan viruses!

A myth, this was a lie told by many YouTubers. They said you could get your computer infected. This is absolute nonsense and has not been certified by any professional Roblox developer. Plugins can’t even infect your PC, and they’re downloaded!

(Section will be expanded later)

FAQ

Question:

Answer:

(Section will be expanded later)

Enjoyed the post? Leave a like and let me know if this helped you understand Free Model Viruses more.

Have a good day!

84 Likes

Wow never expected to find a antivirus for free models, good job!
This would really help smaller developers because they sometimes may use free models to experiment with.
But the sad thing is the plugin was last updated on Feb 26, 2016 at 9:48:44 PM.
So the plugin may not function as intended. I’d prever to use newer plugins or updating this plugin.

7 Likes

There are, indeed, an “antivirus” for free models, loads infact.
Some scan strings / instances linked to a virus (e.g. Fire) and remove them (Ro-Defender), some scan the entire scripts, allow you to choose whether or not to quarantine the thing that came up suspcious (a good type) and more.

Sorry i don’t understand this answer, can it be a more specific answer?

1 Like

Ro-Defender is an oldie, but a goodie

It certainly is a goodie, but I’d rather look through suspcious instances than have Ro-Defender remove it without me knowing what was removed. Ro-Defender also looks through a list to see if an instance pops up with the same name.

Advanced viruses are viruses you will find in plugins. These include plugin viruses that hide their code and what they do is teleport you to another game or third-party teleports, but unlike the other ones, these ones are hidden and much harder to find.

While it is true that if you have a lot of plugins it will be hard to find the root problem, ever since roblox added script injection permission plugin viruses are less likely to infect your game, though it still does happen

Other than that, good tutorial for those who don’t understand the problem of toolbox viruses and thank you for your contribution :slightly_smiling_face:!

5 Likes

Antivirus plugins such as Ro-Defender look through scripts and check their names to see if it matches to one on their list, i.e. “INFECTION”, “Virus” and etc. It also checks for certain instances and their parents. Try parenting a normal Fire instance to an empty server script, run Ro-Defender and it will delete the script and the Fire.

Other plugins such as GameGuard Antivirus scan through the scripts for any possible malicious intent. If something suspicious pops up they allow you to choose whether or not to remove it.

3 Likes

Agreed! But i don’t rather looking through instances. I’d prefer using using the trustable plugins proven to be safe. Like a roblox administator should make an antivirus too, completely new and fresh.

1 Like

That’s right, pretty simple nowadays. Virusses are getting harder to find and are becoming more complex. A roblox admin or a really good scripter should make a newer version of this plugin indeed!

Then your best bet is to look for something open-sourced.

1 Like

Hey guys, I was just wondering if what I had was a virus or not. I got a free model slenderman to see what it looked like, then I deleted the model and it made one of those creepy noises after I deleted it. Do you think I have a virus now? I tried joining the game and it seemed fine and the like to dislike ratio on the free model was pretty good

It’s just the PlayOnRemove property in a sound in the model. I’m not even sure why it exists, probably for legacy game support.

4 Likes

ah, thanks for the clarification. I was super nervous

4 Likes

To test how well these work a made a dummy virus (virus that doesn’t do anything but uses an advanced viruses methods of injections) and I was able to bypass the anti viruses with a few tweaks to the code. Solution: Be smart and don’t download free models that you can’t verify yourself.

noice dude i can finally clean the viruses i got while changing my skybox. haha

It’s disappointing that we now have the fear of having our games infected if we do choose to use free models. I rarely use them anymore because I am more than capable of putting my own efforts forward towards creating my own assets, but thanks for advising me and educating us on how we can remove these kinds of viruses.

4 Likes

Technically they are not “viruses”. However It is possible that someone can write annoying code.

1 Like

Viruses are just the common name for these annoyances.

1 Like

Although I do believe such name can mislead users into think they’re real viruses. A proper name would be backdoor / game backdoor / etc.

According to most definitions of virus a Roblox virus is a virus in terms of Roblox. They don’t replicate themselves but neither do many computer viruses. Backdoor is actually not an accurate term for most of them, as a backdoor is just something that many of them can create.

A definition of a computer virus (first hit on Google):

A computer virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user’s computer without the user’s knowledge and performs malicious actions.

And if you replace computer with Roblox or Roblox game:

A Roblox virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user’s Roblox game without the user’s knowledge and performs malicious actions.

I think term is fine. I agree it should be emphasized that it can’t actually affect anything outside the game, though naming it slightly inaccurately doesn’t seem worth it IMO.

3 Likes

You can easily determine if a plugin is safe. You dont need an administrator to point it out for you.

You can check the source:

game:GetObjects("rbxassetid://IDHERE")[1].Parent=workspace

If you find anything sus, the plugin is malicious.

5 Likes