What are we going to do with the Development Discussion Category?

How exactly would you bypass a ‘regular posts only’ filter? By becoming a regular?

The way you used “filter” was ambiguous. It could have referred to the filter we already have that blocks stuff like

image ← yes that is an image
which doesn’t detect context at all.

I wasn’t talking about when it becomes regular-only, it has to be at the moment when you said an “optional” filter would be better or helpful than making the category regular-only when PA comes back or the decision of sages/DET if I recall.

Never said it would become a thing when #development-discussion becomes a regular-only category with P.A approval.

From all this discussion from when I was gone, I have tried to make a summary.

New Members expected to be perfect <— Unrealistic
Achieving regular is hard, doesn’t necessarily make you a better developer, just you spend a lot of time on the forum or you got an application in. Therefore, in this case you should not make it regular only.

Proposed autofilter for things, people will still bypass it but it will help
For the 3\0 chars, random spam characters at the end, to make replies meaningful.

Maybe having a higher minimum character requirement for new posts. :man_shrugging:

DevForum is kinda now discussionforum… lots of spammy posts, less level of intelligence throughout the people who ask the questions (by that i mean, someone asking what script.Parent and such happens sometimes and they couldn’t conduct a simple Google search.

And I think I am on the side where most people are unhappy, and it isn’t a minority issue nor people who view it and speak up are a minority.

From someone else’s idea, they said:
Regulars can create #development-discussion topics, but members are allowed to reply to them.

Say this for example:

Regular creates meaningful topic:
A bit of regular and member interaction, might be a bit of spam but will get flagged out.

Doesn’t seem like a bad idea…
Where when a meaningless topic gets created, it seems that less people flag it out. Some of my replies are flagged out (ya know im still a member… trying to help sometimes)

Overall

#development-discussion becomes regular to create posts only, members can reply
better auto-filter to filter out the “Thanks” and “yeah i agree”

Higher char limit for posts
More pressing on new members to read the rules.

1 Like

Sorry to bump this post, but the #development-discussion category has become extremely embarrassing in terms of the Developer Forum.
One topic I found went so off-topic it went to NSFW discussion. The #development-discussion category is so terrible now, even as a Member, I would suggest making it regular-only.

1 Like

However, another alternative I find would be a lot better is putting an account-age restriction (example: 60 days until you can post in #development-discussion.)

It doesn’t matter of how long they join, if it clutters and the people who posted that joined 60 days ago were already just bad such as Dupes, Off-Topic and NSFW like you said then what are we going to do then?

It gives them more time to read over the rules any what other posts are like rather than jumping into the discussion category like a lot of new members do.

what if a member that joined 30 days or a month joined and quickly read and adapt to the forum rules and know everything on posting unlike a 60 day person who didn’t read and just posted some stuff which isn’t even the right category

Here is an example:
When I joined from Nov 29, 2019 and 60 days later I still have the thoughts of posting things wrong

Here is the thing:
Don’t measure a person’s things that they can do they can quickly or slowly to adapt the rules of the forum

I don’t think regular only is reasonable right now as its immpossible for members to become regular. it can be once the new post approval system comes.

Make it so everyone can reply to topics, but regulars only can create topics.
Just to prevent stuff like this:

There should be more poll options, I’m limited to the “Not unsure” option yet it’s just that I am sure of a different approach.

Example: “Don’t change anything” as a poll option

Example Doesn’t mean I think we do nothing about spammy and low quality posts

… Do you know how polls work? The user makes them by themselves, the options aren’t pre-set.

You can edit a poll and add more…

Exactly. This is something the only the user can do, not the forum itself.

I don’t want it removed and I don’t want it to become regular+ (because then there would be nowhere for members to ask anything besides help and feedback questions, although something should happen to reduce spam.

Unfortunately, with people complaining about it being used incorrectly and people like me who don’t want it regular+, I think they’re just going to remove it at a certain point.

Uhh, this topic is pretty old, why keep bumping it. I would suggest to stop bumping it as everyone keeps making the same points over and over again, and it is pretty much useless until the new PA system comes.

To prevent duplicates of the same topic, and, unbeneficial to the OP topics which as well benefit to nobody else.

I think the only thing we can do is just revert DD back to regulars only, and wait for a replacement PA so there can be a new circulation of levelling up.

But if more people start levelling up (generally speaking of the type of people who post the offtopic stuff no offense), then they’ll just start using DD once again for the same purposes.
With that being said though, it’s challenging enough to get to be a regular from being a member.

There aren’t preset options, the user creates the options themselves.

I don’t know if you know it or not, the PA replacement is three months overdue. Making DD for Regular+ is not a good idea. Rather than preventing spam, it’s just being diverted to other categories. So then you can expect more people to complain about other categories being trashed and telling it to be closed.