What are you working on currently? (2019)

Sci-Fi Hallway… thing

game is here: showcase - Roblox

10 Likes

Getting closer to release…

Working on some third-person stuff. Characters flinch when shot & recoil (body + gun) when shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/y3gsuZ8.mp4

ft. new tracers, bullet velocity played at 1/15 speed to show them a little better :smiley:

15 Likes

Modeled something new in Blender. This is my very first sword, I’m keen on making more sorts of weaponry.

6 Likes

Learning scripting with CKStudio +! I’m a new scripter and it’s fun to script with CKStudio +!

8 Likes

Working on a new showcase, here’s the current progress so far!

25 Likes

Kinetic Code is coming back. Here’s an early preview of the movement system

11 Likes

Recently I’ve disappeared from Roblox and have started studying Game Design at Staffordshire University :grinning: My first semester is coming to a finish this week and my four modules are:

• Intro to 3D Game Design (looking into design techniques on how gameplay is developed in game levels)
  • Intro to 3D Games Engines (using Unreal Engine to design and implement a custom Unreal Tournament CTF level using premade UT assets)
  • Intro to 3D Modelling (using 3DS Max to model furniture for a house in the style of Pokemon: Let’s Go and importing to Unreal)
  • Texturing for Games (using Photoshop to paint stylised seamless textures for a premade house model)

My personal time spent developing on Roblox for the past 10 years has given me a huge head start and I am enjoying this course a lot, but it’s a ton of work also.

(Upstairs is almost finished)

52 Likes

Interaction systems!

#1 - Hands Free:

• Similar to how interactions are handled in VR games with no controllers
  • Completely hands free, uses look direction to interact.
  • Can execute server code upon activation, meaning it can be used for anything
  • Ability to deny interaction if conditions aren’t met, resulting in a red denial sequence

#2 - Keybind

• Just your run-of-the-mill E to interact system, but with extra features.
  • Animations for when the interaction enters/leaves range.
  • Custom doors system which sends animation info to all clients, meaning that door animations are run client-side (eliminating laggy/stuttering doors)
  • customization of UI color/text
  • UI text/color changes can happen in real time, adding further interaction possiblity

Which system is better?

• Look-based system
  • Proximity-based system

0 voters

https://gyazo.com/69d299f3f77e1f72d8aac016422feaf9

https://gyazo.com/89d3198defab961106182c41ce5063e0

https://gyazo.com/6f21e9bcea4d8ea6596110cc1d59d9fc

11 Likes

An apocalyptic thriller game, I call it “Resident evil” while it is not that world.
I use a special building design (made from red blocks), unique lights (mostly oversaturated green and red) and thrilling background music selection. I really like to just walk and fly around the huge tower while listening the flow of background musics - but who will develop the game?.. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate when games force you to aim directly at handles, objects and other things, in order to use them.

If you want to open a door, you should be able to open it just by looking at it, or looking near the handle.
If you want to grab some object, you should be able to pick it up just by looking near it. If multiple pickable objects are near each other (and their “near-object-areas” are intersecting), the game should calculate which object is the closest to the mouse and choose it to be picked.

Having to take the time to aim at an object you want to use is just ridiculous. In real life, you often don’t even look directly at something to place your hand to grab something, you just think about it and do it.
All games should really take that into consideration, otherwise such easy tasks will be extremely hard at times and straight-up annoying.

Which is why I found first two videos annoying just by watching them.
The third video, which uses proximity-based system, is much more pleasant and satisfying.

6 Likes

nice but

sends animation info to all clients

surely you don’t need to send any info besides the door and its state?

3 Likes

Idon’t know how I overlooked this. Currently I am sending too much information such as easing styles, speed, that the client could simply deduce by reading the model. This shouldn’t take too much editing, thanks for the comment

Edit: I ended up not even having to send the state since the server sets that before the info is sent

2 Likes

I do agree with you on this. I started the project because I had seen it used earlier in Mobile VR games, and wanted to replicate it. It comes with annoying struggles as you’ve listed, but I personally think the UI work is the coolest part. That being said, some immediate solutions I’ve thought of are:

• using larger hitboxes to make the area of interaction more generalized
  • adding hints as the interaction comes within range (via BillboardGuis)

The look-based system is geared for first-person games and presents a more subtle approach to interaction that is more desirable in certain use cases (e.g. horror games). Even if it is inferior to a proximity based system, its special qualities make it worth producing in my opinion.

1 Like

There is definitely not enough artists on ROBLOX who truly know how to use trim-sheets, design environments, and be proficient with both Substance Designer and Painter.

With your skill, it is a shame that ROBLOX does not allow inputs for specularity, roughness, AO, and normal.

Good work mate! Coming to ROBLOX from a non-ROBLOX background (even if it is just a break) is refreshing and truly the way to get great results.

3 Likes

Progress on the first interior; little magical shop.

45 Likes

Update on my projects. Enjoy the following sneakpeeks!

More information to follow. :wink:

14 Likes

Some more work on my upcoming showcase, hope you all like it!

24 Likes

Custom animations specifically for going into/out of crouch while standing still. No more legs clipping into the ground & I utilized the springs in the back & weapon joints to add some bobble when transitioning.

14 Likes

Robux icon redesign! (inspired by @The13thHippie There's a new Robux icon! - #289 by The13thHippie)

4 Likes

Wave Defense Game where you can build

this was the only screenshot i could take (final moment)

6 Likes