What are you working on currently? (2024)

Currently I am continuing work on the CC 201 series locomotive belonging to the Indonesian Railway Company. The details provided on this locomotive have become clearer since it was textured.

8 Likes

thank you for rating my work :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Working on a small project, thats what I got for now:

5 Likes

the geometry looks so cool. i admire middle eastern architecture

2 Likes

that isometric view reminds me of project zomboid

2 Likes

Working on this short horror game, just to stretch out my skills a bit more.
Almost completely done, just working on one or two different mechanics.

9 Likes

Me too. Crazy how such things can be made with a compass, a pencil, and a ruler.

2 Likes

Realistic interior cozy bar

6 Likes

Dude, you gotta post this on Twitter, it’s awesome!
Roblox picks talented creators and put them on their social, that’s free advertising for you!

I also’ve been working on with some scripts recently, for a commission.

4 Likes

highlights are fun

16 Likes

Bro, I have these works on Twitter

Improving my skills on drawing. But I just do 1 for 2 days because I’m too lazy.

I know this topic’s about what developers are creating now, but I did a couple things for the last two days so let’s show that!

Place Titles

I like how Royale High displays a pretty image of certain realms’ names after they finish loading, so I knew I had to add that to my experience too! Now, players will see “The Test Map” after the 3D world fades in before them, which looks like this:
The Gameplay Test Map's place title image.
Today, I wanted to surprise my teammate, so I made another place image for his baseplate, including things he likes, the color light pink, a heart, and :sparkles:sparkles (which tend to be spelled as “sparkols”). I put way more effort into this one, which is sort of sad since only us developers would ever see this if I didn’t share it here:

Peacewater’s Streets

Project Magical Mary (PMM) is pretty disappointing, especially if you’re a viewer or one of the few players who can check it out personally. This is supposed to be a city RP game with families and magic, but the city (named Peacewater) still isn’t in the game after almost two years!

I’ll inevitably continue to procrastinate and take ages to finish this city, but I made a “city block” today, which will be easy to copy and paste as needed, which was the same thing I did when I was making the third level in the GZDoom Magical Mary game, fittingly enough.

The cross-road walkway designs were based on their appearance in that GZDoom game, though the “walking person” looks better in PMM.

I know, the Roblox screenshot looks pretty empty compared to GZDoom, but I’ll add the missing decorations soon, starting with the lampposts. Obviously, Roblox’s engine can render more polygons without lagging compared to that enhanced 90’s game engine, so I’m giving it a new design, which tries to at least vaguely resemble the original level geometry-based light. :tongue:

Almost Perfect Drinking Pose?

I never asked around on the DevForum about this, mainly because I was worried that no one would have a solution or understand how to calculate the difference between two CFrames (to offset the player’s hand away from their mouth for IKControl’s offset property), but I was watching one of ByteBlox’s videos about the AlignPosition instance last night and it hit me…

:thinking:Could this be the solution? What if I made the cup float using AlignPosition and AlignOrientation instances, levitating the cup by its straw over to the player’s mouth position attachment? :ohmy: I could also use IKControls to give the illusion that the character’s holding it…

:woot: I tried it out, and my experiment was a success! Check this out:

My method has its pros and cons.

Pros

• The straw has consistent alignment with the character’s mouth, no matter their animation or posing!
  • Each cup may adapt to their different straw shapes (bendy, crazy, and regular) and the different angles that the cups should be held at while their straws are in use. (All I have to do is rotate the straw’s tip attachment!)

Cons

• While an adult character appears to hold the cup, younger ages have smaller hands, which don’t match the invisible ones attached to the cup itself. This could be fixed by using multiple sets of hands or manually aligning four sets of attachments, one for each age/size.
  • Interactions will look awkward or robotic, since those instances are just moving one attachment to another at a somewhat linear speed. Also, drink animations will look static, since both arms can’t be moved while they’re controlled by IK.
Is this a good way to align straws (over IKControl + offset)?
  • Yes!
  • Yeah, but it’s limiting…
  • Nope.

0 voters

Uh… Does anyone know how to get the difference between two CFrames? DM…?

1 Like

I’m working on a medieval battle game. 2 teams have to capture the castle of the other team. They can destroy the door or place ladders to get into the castle. You fight with medieval weapons, for example bows and swords.

1 Like

Where the 2 corners meet.

9 Likes

I absolutely love this style, could you post a tutorial or something?

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by difference.

Tryin’ the Streetz (Part 1)

Peacewater’s lamppost is complete! It’s around 2k polygons, which isn’t really good because this city will be using a lot of these objects. I tried to remove any polygons that I could, manually simplifying the mesh like I always do.

You’re probably wondering why it’s smaller than my character, or thinking I need to scale it up. If you’re thinking the latter, you aren’t wrong; To make it easier to make the city street chunks (which will be copied many times), I’m designing them at ¼th scale, and they will be made larger when everything is in place.

This is what the 4-way intersection chunk looks like currently, with one light on one of the corners.

Peacewater’s lampposts have gems on top of them. You might think they’re just for looks, but there’s a small hole under them, which allows the lightbulb below to shine light into it, which “refracts” the light, tinting a very small area above the post pink. It’s pointless but still cool, right?
If Peacewater was real, imagine people's reactions to finding out their taxes were paying for this pointless feature.

A Useful Plugin

A year ago, I added debugging code (and an attribute) to enable real-time lighting property editing in-experience. I did it this way because I wasn’t sure of how to make plugins, which would allow me to tweak the gradients in Studio’s editor without having to start a test session first.

Well, fast forward a year and I now have a bit of experience with making my own personal plugins. A couple days ago, I started thinking about the idea of making a plugin specifically to make editing my experience easier. Just over the span of today, I’ve done it; Using code copied from the client time-of-day script, this plugin can change all of the same properties as that script, resulting in a pretty accurate representation of the selected time during gameplay (with only minor differences).

Here are three screenshots of the test map outside of gameplay, with the new, accurate lighting set by my plugin. (Yes, I know it says “Main Manu”; I’ve already fixed that typo.)

really big procedural terrain using EditableMesh. the default 2048 studs baseplate for comparison

Note for video below: It appears to lag later in the demo (dropping to ~30 fps) because you are not supposed to travel that fast across chunks. Realistically, at the default 2048 studs chunk size, you rarely ever even load in new chunks at all.

Absolute worse case scenario performance (bottlenecked by creating triangles):

Average case scenario performance (less than a millisecond):

3 Likes

I actually was thinking about making that same visual a while ago. I wonder if there is a way to convert that function into multiple bezier curves–then we could just a few beams (like under 20) which would be pretty performant.

You might want to look into recycling parts: you keep a bunch of parts parented to nil with their references saved and bring them out when you need them.

I’ve got to know what lighting settings you used for this! Is it the out-of-range fog numbers thing or is it something different?

1 Like