World Panel Settings Now Available

This is quite off topic but m/s^2 is the unit for acceleration, not m/s/s.

m/s^2 is the same thing as m/s/s

1 Like

I’m not fully convinced that 1 stud is 28 cm now. Why the realistic preset gravity feels low, like the moon gravity?
Why the change? Is this for (relatively) big antro bodies or the sake of convenience or something?
Could someone give a proper, scientific explanation? At least this blog archive explains it very well.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/conversion-of-roblox-and-real-world-units/133327/10?u=infinitydesign

@GeorgeOfAIITrades provides a theory here.

1 Like

I always incorporate the stud as 12 inches whenever I do my showcases.

After some testing in studio, now I’m convinced. It was just R6 animation in realistic preset looks weird.
I hope they make a blog about this, showing formulas and stuff would be really nice to avoid confusion.

Cool, useful for lesser-experienced users/developers who don’t know about the properties tab.

We will make sure and note this in the Documentation. If you are curious about current documentation on Gravity, you can find it here.

Classic: 196.2 studs/second^2
Realistic: 35 studs/second^2

With the Realistic setting, we can determine that 1 stud = 28 cm.

Earth Gravity:
9.81 m/sec^2
35 studs/sec^2

If a 50th percentile male is 6.267857 studs then:

• 175.5 cm
  • 1.755 meters
  • 1 meter = 3.571429 studs

JumpPower defines what speed we jump UP with.

MaxJumpDistance = WalkSpeed * 2 * JumpVelocity / Gravity
JumpHeight = (JumpVelocity)^2 / 2 * Gravity.

I hope this information helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Ah, that blog post of mine still has it’s uses after 7 years! The scientific explanation for the gravity feeling low is one of perception. Psychologically you are used to Roblox avatars falling at a certain rate (which is way faster) and now it feels floaty.

It’s the same reason games that are tuned to real physics values like The Witcher series feel slow.

3 Likes

It is currently in Humanoid as well

1 Like

Yeah. Like I said in my 2nd post.

Wooow! A really good feature for developers!

Definitely want to provide more control over the avatar movement in the future.

2 Likes

Indeed, I suggest a “palette cleanser” so to speak, to use the other settings. Suggest playing something other than Roblox and then use the presets. The Roblox gravity is extremely heavy compared to a lot of games, but if you are used to it, the other gravity settings will feel floaty.

Even if you use traditional methods for setting your avatar movement, the World Panel is a nice tool for prototyping ideas, if you want to quickly test out different settings for your player character. Looking forward to having additional methods of tuning the character in the future (ex. air steering).

Both realistic and action presets say real world gravity, but they come with different gravity settings. I understand that 9.8 m/s2 is earth’s gravitational acceleration, so why does the action preset also claim to feature real world gravity?
427e9fa89c4e56bf511a5a21193a83dd

1 Like

Very nice and easy way to access this in studio. I really like this as studio is now becoming a one stop shop as opposed to using the website for this or not even having some of it. Really enjoying these updates.

BUG: realistic mode lets you float above the ground (and can defeat some obbys!)

1 Like

StarterCharacter and StarterHumanoid have priority over these new World settings. If you have StarterCharacters and StarterHumanoids they will work exactly as before and be unaffected by these changes and new settings

3 Likes

yes but no one says m/s/s because m/s2 is more simple