Yeti's Spires of Despair Devlog #0 | Pit stop

If you want to partake in testing of the game, be pinged for new devlogs and get some exclusive tester only stuff in-game or just chat I recommend joining YSoD’s Discord server. The invite link is here.

Well hello there! Welcome to the first of (hopefully) many future devlogs about YSoD! Now since it is devlog 0, I’ll go over more of what I have now, and the future plans of the game instead of actual new features. Alright, let’s get started!

Introduction

Ever since I started my roblox career over 3 years ago; I’ve always loved obby games. No, not normal “Escape grandma in mcdonalds obby” games that you see on the front page. Challenging obbies. Obbies that have a slight bit of effort put into them. Complex obstacle courses that require actual thought and skill to complete. A game that has a ton of these is Jukes Towers of Hell made by @Jukereise (very epic gamer). An all-time favourite of mine. As the description states:

Welcome to Juke’s Towers of Hell, a tower styled obby game! While you as a human being may be cascading down the social spiral, perhaps you will be able to ascend one of these trauma inducing towers! This game consists of a series of single stage obbies ranging in difficulty from laughable to pure death.

Along with obbies, a genre I adore is rpgs. So I was brushing my teeth one lovely evening and thought of an idea; “Hey, what if I combine my 2 favourite genres; and mix a mix of an rpg and an obby game!” And that’s how YSoD came along.

Now you must be thinking “Yeti, you’re a madman! Those are 2 completely different things!”

Well… after a lot of brainstorming, planning and empty notepad pages I’ve somehow bashed these 2 ideas into a crude, but working idea.

Here are some key features of YSoD taken from both genres:

• old roblox style (obby)
  • timed trials (obby)
    *“spires” (basically towers but octagon shape) than you need to ascend filled with obstacle courses to traverse (obby)
  • various items that can help you complete obbies (mixed)
  • various items that can help you complete obbies (mixed)
  • big world that you can explore (rpg)
  • quest system (rpg)
  • npcs (rpg)

Alright alright, we’ve got our features down, now to check if the game idea is decent: I believe that a decent game idea needs to have 3 things: A core, clear gameplay loop and reason why players should return

Here are those 3 things in terms of YSoD:
Core: open-world obby game with rpg elements.

Clear gameplay loop:
Complete quests/spires, get currency to buy items/get items and more easily ascend harder spires, or simply just ascend spires, get better at it, ascend harder spires.

reason why players should return:
this debhub article helped me with this point.

1. Skill-based gameplay and leaderboards.
    People like showing off. And what better way to show off than to show how many spire wins you have or how much time you have in YSoD!
  2. Plenty of content + frequent updates.
    players will return if they haven’t explored magma lake yet, and they enjoyed exploring pinewood forest.

Alright alright, you’re probably yawning at the amount of information I’ve thrown at you. And I prefer to do rather than say.

Here’s the current progress of YSoD!

2 spires!
SoR - Spire of Relaxation - by me
https://gyazo.com/dad07b6fa82bb0b5724b885581d3d05a
Enjoy an easy, fun and relaxing (as the name suggests) spire. Take a sit on the bench and look at the beautiful sun, admire the terrain outside a̴̛̰͝n̴̥̊͜d̵̘̦͒ ̴̥̒́f̶̼̅̕ḯ̸̱̤n̶̩̑̕d̸͖̋͛ ̶̩̍̎a̴̬̋͠ ̷͇̊͊s̴̼̪̿́m̵̭̤͌ǎ̵̺͓̀l̶͉̟̓l̵͉̖͊̄ ̶̛̮͖ş̸͔̚e̵̼͋̋c̵͘͜ṙ̴̫͝ȩ̵͆͆t̷͕͙̂.

SOoT - Spire of Oversimplified Tutorialisation [TUTORIAL TOWER] - by me, again
a fun tower explaining most of the more complicated mechanics of the game! Falling platforms, spinning killbricks, you name it!
https://gyazo.com/93419030196628e965956f044efa00e8

cool npc dialogue system:
https://gyazo.com/e81bf64410c8788ba3b6bcf0d0384bdc

Portion of the ring 1 lobby done:
https://gyazo.com/cee412b4cc3b850bcced6a6a81900f6d

2 thumbnails and an icon:

Anyways, wrapping things up; here are some important dates:
next devlog: in around 1 week.
alpha release date: mid/late july.
Inspired by @iceking_gfx’s series of devlogs for Operation: Strife. The latest devlog is here and the game link is here.

5 Likes

Sounds like a cool game idea. I am excited to see how it goes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

gonna enjoy seeing this game in development and eventually its release, nice idea bro :+1:

1 Like