Add an option to remove sun glare/reflections on parts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently not possible to not have the sun reflect on parts. Sun reflections on SmoothPlastic are especially obnoxious in some cases, and there is no way to remove it. In most games, sun reflections make the game look better. However, there are some cases where we don’t want that.

In the game I am currently working on, I am trying to use the SmoothPlastic material for solid colors. At certain angles, the sun reflects on it and makes it look much brighter. I would like for it to appear the same color at all angles.

I made 2 posts a while back about this:

Part of a reply I got from @Homeomorph is this:

The problem with this is that setting Lighting.Brightness to 0 is that it removes shadows. But what if I want to remove sun glare and keep shadows? That isn’t possible currently.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to disable sun reflections on parts.

An example of sun glare on SmoothPlastic

25 Likes

Those aren’t called reflection from my own 3D modeling experience. According to Blender, they are actually called specular. The API on the Lighting only allows it to be amplified and not actually removing the specular completely:

1 Like

You can eliminate this by using a surface appearance with a blank white image for its roughness map. That’d mean that all of your parts have to be mesh parts, but that’s all you can do for now.

3 Likes

The normal map is the one responsible for this effect. Here’s slate with a blank normal map (done by editing files):

This makes a lot of sense given that sun still casts shadows even if you disable it. Your request should revolve around having the ability to disable celestial body shadows.

2 Likes

yeah this glare is killing my entire game, and your solution works in studio unfortunately not in live game:
studio:

live game:

just disgusting, have you found any new workarounds for this problem?

You could try using a MaterialVariant with the same fix I provided.

It does work with materialvariants yeah, unfortunately my mesh is transparency based not overlay so I have to look further… shame this works in studio but is unreleased…

(bottom is material variant, top is surface appearance)… shame

Ah, you could just set the normal map in the surface appearance then.

tried every version of that, pulling normals up in blender, transparent normal, blank white normal, blank pink real normal, black normal, everything, unfortunately to no avail

i found that if you use a blank white image as a roughness map for a material variant, it removes all glare:)
Before

After:

This is not what he means likely. What this is talking about are “Specular Highlights”. Probably the control one wants to have is if a light affects these “effects” on a object. Typically most engines that are more modern have controls per light. Such as “Specular Intensity, Normal Intensity, Diffuse Intensity”.