All ROBLOX NPCs are BROKEN!

Try this for yourself, put some NPCs in a baseplate whether it’s free modeled or not, and whether it’s R6 or R15, then publish the game to Roblox. If you rejoin a couple of times (It usually took me about 10 to 20 rejoins), they will sink to the ground as if their legs had no collision. And what’s even weirder is that once that happens, all your future rejoins will have the NPCs sunken to the ground PERMANENTLY unless you republish the game even without any changes. We’ve had multiple people test this aswell and without a doubt it is a Roblox bug. And this all happened after a Roblox Update yesterday (After the announcement “Release Notes for 597”)

Example: Watch as they permanently break after 3rd rejoin, after a republish

YT Link if that vid doesnt work:

We had streaming enabled false/true, networkowner stuff, messed with game studio settings, reinstalled studio, beta features on or off, and they are infact broken for EVERYONE.

42 Likes

And because they are stuck, “MoveToFinished:Wait()” pretty much pauses the script forever and does not continue at all, making this function completely broken. Again, this was NEVER a problem for 2 years until the recent update.

You can try this right now. You should be surrounded by a bunch of signs that says “working” for a sec when the script successfully does it’s thing for the first few rejoins, then nothing after they sink to the ground.
funi.rbxl (69.5 KB)

16 Likes

Hello, thanks for reporting! I tried the place file you shared in mac Studio by playing and also tried to play published the game here a few times. However, I cannot repro the issue. Can you please try the place I published to see if you can repro it? If not, can you please share a minimum place you published so I can test? Thank you!

12 Likes

Hello, I can reproduce this issue on the place you sent. The humanoids just won’t move (you have to rejoin multiple times to get this issue). I am currently in an active server if you join me you should be able to reproduce the issue

11 Likes

Hello! This bug is majorly affecting my game, over here , and after a bit of research yesterday I may have some information to help with reproducing the bug.

• The bug was first documented by my players to be happening yesterday, at about 3:20 AM UTC.
  • It most often happens on mobile clients visiting VIP servers. This could be likely because they are newer servers. I wouldn’t rule out PC clients, because I have however, seen it replicated on PC.
  • This bug occurs sporadically for whatever reason. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t find a 100% way to replicate it, but usually you catch it within a few rejoins on a live game.
  • Last night I did not find a concrete way to replicate this bug on Studio itself. It’s possible it isn’t doable on studio, I could be wrong though.
  • Functions like :MoveTo() and Pathfinding in general cease to work entirely. I also can’t seem to do something as simple as tweening the HumanoidRootPart. It’s almost as if something has made NPCs intangible.
  • Sometimes they sink into the ground, sometimes they don’t. I’m not sure what causes the sinking vs the not sinking.

My current hypothesis is that the new Humanoid update could have something to do with this. However, I’m just a developer, and that’s just a guess. Either way, I sincerely hope this bug gets fixed soon, because it’s majorly affecting my game and upsetting my players.

13 Likes

I’ve found a workaround to this you can parent your humanoid via script and it’ll work

Like so for example

local dummy = script.Carl;
dummy:Clone().Parent = workspace;
16 Likes

Not sure if this is 100% related, but im getting the same kind of issue,
all humanoid states that would cause it to fall are disabled, but when in water sometimes it just trips and can NEVER get back up, doing the thing displayed here, but rotating when MoveTo() is called, this ONLY happens in water, and changing the state to getting up wont fix it.

See below
https://gyazo.com/2cc9832b5132d6e7bca0e496ceb80ab0
https://gyazo.com/4a52f8aa42c65bcee31695e4fe9b2c1d

8 Likes

I’ve found this myself a few hours ago but this is the solution so thanks! I basically found that any NPCs that are in workspace will break, so put them somewhere else like ServerStorage, then have a script parent them back to workspace. Super weird bug but I’m glad it’s somewhat fixable rather than impossible.

8 Likes

Hi, has any other solution been found?
It is not possible for me to put all NPCs in ServerStorage since that would require to fundamentally change any and all scripts in my game and I am too busy with getting the Full Release out… Any help appreciated.

9 Likes

Replying to this to add that I’ve published a patch to my game using @RealSquidNation’s solution. So far, so good, things seem to work out fine.

A fix to the bug from Roblox would however be lovely, since I don’t intend to keep this temporary solution there for long. It hinders my game’s development, so using this in the long-term is unfeasible. Can we get an ETA on when this pretty serious bug will be fixed?

10 Likes

Does it only happen with R6 characters? I see that the police AI that’s in the game still works, even after the countless re-joins.

9 Likes

Do not mark a workaround as a solution, this will close the bug report. There is clearly a bug here.

This reminds me of an issue warrior cats was having a while back that might have regressed once after being initially fixed. Characters dropping like their hip height was wrong.

7 Likes

We are actively looking for a long term solution. Thank you!

14 Likes

Hi, please test these sorts of Updates before pushing them out to the public. I’ve lost a ton of potential sunday CCU & Players because of my scripts yielding for “Humanoid.WalkToFinished:Wait()” forever due to the issues with the Humanoid.

As much as I love Roblox as a Game Engine, stuff like this is what still makes me not fully take you guys seriously. How can I have people take me seriously when I can wake up one day and see the whole Humanoid system being completly broken?

I really hope this doesn’t happen again.

9 Likes

Hello developers!

We agree with the urgency of addressing this bug, which is causing unintended issues across various experiences. Resolving this bug is our team’s top priority.

A temporary workaround that alleviates some of these issues has been found. For developers interested in implementing this temporary fix, details can be found here. It’s important to note that this is a temporary measure while engineers work towards a more permanent resolution.

Multiple engineers are actively working on finding and deploying a fix. We will continue to provide updates and information as we work to identify the root cause and resolve the issue on our end.

Thank you for your patience and understanding; your cooperation and help is greatly appreciated.

14 Likes

My bad, I didn’t realize it would close the report. Thank god they said that they’re still going to check on it.

It happens with R15. The police AI is different but MoveToFinished:Wait() won’t work on R15 either.

5 Likes

Hello developers!

Engineers are still actively working on investigating the root cause of the issue. However, they have determined that this issue will take longer to resolve than initially believed. Resolving this bug is still our team’s top priority.

In the meantime, developers can still help to alleviate some of these issues in their own games by implementing this temporary fix, details can be found here.

We will continue to provide updates and information as we work to identify the root cause and resolve the issue on our end. Thank you for your patience and understanding, we greatly appreciate it.

12 Likes

Hi, we reverted some flags last night that we believe have mitigated the issue. Can anyone report whether they are still seeing NPCs stuck in the ground - without the clone+insert workaround?

3 Likes

Hi, from what I’ve tested I can’t encounter the Humanoid.WalkToFinished:Wait() infinite yield glitch, but I wouldn’t rule it out as it was sporadic and happened only when it wanted to (i had 10s of bug reports about it but I couldn’t reproduce it myself). I’m still hesitant to implement that function back into my game.

Currently testing in my own game, I have removed my temporary workaround and have not encountered the bug again. I will update on this thread, should it happen again.

1 Like