Animation Editor has moved out of Beta again

Fix should be on track for release not this Thursday, but the following one. I’ll let you know if this changes.

Edit: Issue should now be resolved

4 Likes

Why is there no Undo/Redo function at all?!

One of the main reasons why I don’t like to Animate is because using the current Animation Editor is degrading and a horrible experience.

Please take a look at Moon Animation Suite, it has all the features that the current and new official Animation Editor lacks. (except for IK)

Compared to the original animation editor, the new one suffices for just about anything you need. The layout is dead simple and it’s powerful. I’m not quite sure why people complain about it.

1 Like

Personally I really liked the new one, it was much simpler to use… until recent update. Old shortcuts are gone, along with all rig parts list. I really hope there’ll be a way to download the Beta version.

1 Like

The all rig parts list is present in the editor. If you click the (+) button in the same line as the model’s name in the editor. It should show a dropdown and at the bottom there is an option to “Add All”

Does CTRL + Z and CTRL + Y not work for you to undo/redo? If so, that is a bug

1 Like

How do we copy and paste keyframes between animations now? Or was it removed? It was very handy.
Thank you for fixing the duplicate names :>

2 Likes

It was removed. But we are aware of the multiple requests for it to be put back in and are looking into doing it

1 Like

Please add it back, it was a very useful feature especially when I animate weapon animations. I want to copy keyframes across weapon animations, such as copying an idle animation to the reload animation.

Seems like the animation editor slows down my studio. I’ve done 2 tests with this, and it seems I’m right.

After finishing an animation in the editor:
https://gyazo.com/68c1d8660498696f22fa4b4cfe202c02

After closing out studio completely and re-opening it:
https://gyazo.com/1516e11480d5b89bcbd234b75f350870

It seems there is a noticeable delay between selecting objects in studio after the animation editor. Also, using the animation editor more and more tends to slow down studio to the point where whenever I double click a script to open it up, it thinks I’m trying to change the name, and I have to switch the location of my cursor to the script icon instead of the name. Or, this could just be happening to me. It seems to happen on all of the games I edit in studio as well.

Hmm, I’ll have to do some profiling to be sure. If you could provide me with a test place where this is happening that would be great! How many instances live on the models that you are animating? We are already aware that the instances under AnimSaves on the model can get pretty gnarly with a lot of large locally saved animations, but we ignore those instances when scanning through the model.

I have around 20 saved animations in the animsaves model

1 Like

I haven’t animated for months until today - similar to what @seansy said 24 days ago, I am also having issues with this new editor’s 1 second minimum length. I have a looping 15 frame animation that I cannot use because it exports as 30 frames.

Not to repeat what others may have already said, but here’s a full list of other problems I’m having with this re-Beta’d editor:

• Switching between rotating and translating parts is not obvious (still the R key), and I haven’t been able to find snap increments
  • You must hit the enter key to input values, just unfocusing does not achieve this as it ought to
  • Since values aren’t clear-on-focus, the floating point decimals which appear 90% of the time (e.g. 14.999999, -0.00000125) add additional difficulty to manually setting values
  • If the timeline is displaying in seconds instead of frames, it really should accept values as 2 = 2:00 instead of 2 = 2 frames, and vice versa
2 Likes

Regarding, the timeline length issue and your first point:

The animation should still export with 15 frames. 30 frames is just the minimum displayable timeline length in the editor, unless you zoom in.

We will work on improving the other points, thanks for bringing them to our attention

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification on the new timeline, I did a quick test on a default rig with a 12 frame loop and it worked fine. I must’ve been having a playback issue with my custom rig yesterday and so I attributed it to the clamped timeline length.

1 Like

I got an issue i actually need to copy a animation to other animation but i actually can’t , its there a way to get the old animation editor or get this added again?

Copying/pasting keyframes between animations in the new editor should be available in the next week or two. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m very excited. Took some time to get used to, but it’s still very good.

I’m still getting used to it but i’m excited for the future of animation. :+1:

Will you consider letting us use the older version too? I’m sure there are many people who like the new update, as there are many who prefer the older one. A separate plugin is all we need, while you can continue improving the new one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am unfortunately having the same problem. I have rigs that have hundreds of parts in them. Before the animation editor updated, I didn’t really see a need to name every single part since in the end, I was going to weld them to the parts that were being used in the rig. Since every single unnamed part in my rigs are named ‘Part’ I can’t animate any of the rigs that contain these parts. I’d literally have to go through and re-name every single part. I support how Roblox is attempting to move in a positive direction, but I feel like this new animation editor is a set back for what I do.

3 Likes