Asset Browser - Quick & Easy Asset Management

Roblox doesn’t have a built-in asset browser like many other game engines do, which is why I decided to make my own. This isn’t my first time creating a plugin with a similar concept but I felt like I could do better. Here we are now with yet another version of the concept better than ever.

Introducing the Asset Browser plugin:

Simply put: The plugin allows you to quickly and effortlessly manage your game’s assets and allows you to create multiple libraries of said assets. This speeds up development in many areas and can really help developers organize their game’s assets.

Here is a quick look into what it looks like and what it can do:
https://i.gyazo.com/15f7b9c1ecbac2df29eddd2c13707048.mp4
(Assets used in the examples are not mine)

The one thing I really wanted to improve was the navigation through the interface as well as the general intuitivity. So here’s a quick preview of the navigation features:

https://i.gyazo.com/9a621d87029c608f4c9bc28e99083f3a.mp4

Then there are of course the asset features. These include the quick drag & drop insert and everything inside the RMB action menu.

There are also some additional settings you can toggle on or off which alter the way some of the functions work. Here’s what they are:

These change wether or not your assets scale/resize automatically when replaced. Auto Size only works if the replacement is a BasePart.

The plugin supports every type of instance. However, only some have dedicated functions and icons. You can even insert scripts inside other scripts. Here’s how that looks:

https://i.gyazo.com/fad6a9994e7d869ccc37b3ac25756cef.mp4

To add a new library you must select a folder inside the explorer and then click “Add Library”. This will then create a new quick access library into the browser. Same goes for adding new assets into said libraries. Simply select any instance from the explorer and press the plus icon in the browser:

And that’s mostly it. If you’re interested then please give it a shot and let me know what you think. And if you do happen to run into bugs/issues or just want to give feedback then please leave a comment, I’ll be sure to read them all. Thank you! : )

Like what you see? Check out my other plugins if you’re interested:

69 Likes

This is a very useful tool, and the UI is very good. However I do not see a plugin button, so if you close the widget you have to re-launch studio or re-enable the plugin.

7 Likes

Awesome! I love the UI! Reminds me of the UE4/5 Asset Browser

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I gotta add that button in. I myself just open my plugins from the drop down menu but a dedicated button wouldn’t hurt. Thanks!

2 Likes

Good eye! That’s what I used as my main reference.

2 Likes

Epix, nice change!

2 Likes

Hi,

I have just installed but everything is greyed out and I can’t do anything, what am I missing?

The plugin doesn’t seem to work at all. I cant add instances or create library’s. The “+” button doesn’t do anything either. Also right click doesn’t do anything

https://i.gyazo.com/9ccb9da7ae3e44f3e073db1cc4d91676.mp4

1 Like

Looks nice but I can’t seem to do anything, not sure if its broken or I am just dumb

You must first select an instance and then press the plus icon. Same goes for the libraries except you must have a folder instance selected.

Having a hard time figuring out much from that. Could you elaborate?

That’s odd. Could you send me a screenshot of the interface so I can take a look.

Ohhh I get it now. You should have that explained in the interface, like a info icon on a corner.

Nope I was just dumb, I was trying to add a library. I thought it would make a folder for me but I didn’t realize I had to create one myself. Also, great plugin! I have used asset library before but it didn’t have that great of a ui imo, so this is a great change!

1 Like

I’m glad to hear it got sorted. Let me know if you happen to run into any other issues or if you feel like it could use some features. I’ll definitely consider them since this is a plugin I use myself constantly as well.

1 Like

It looks like the new windows 11 icons.

Update Log #1

Added a new button for quickly updating assets within the browser. Now you don’t have to delete the old one to update the asset inside instead you can just replace the current asset with your current selection. The Asset Id of the original asset moves over to the new one.

Clicking “Add Library” without having selected a folder now creates a completely new folder that will act as a brand new library inside ServerStorage.

1 Like

Hello! I was thinking on creating a really similiar plugin. Now I don’t have to create it! This plugin is so good that I don’t even try to create my own version!
I have only one suggestion:
If the widget is small, the side bar is too bigimage
You could add it so I can resize the side bar.
That’s it!
I love this plugin!

Edit: I discovered that I can resize the side bar but it’s really hard to do, you could highlight it when I can resize it.

Edit2: I found a strange thing. When I try to search for an asset, it also searches for instances IN the asset.
See:
I have a light
I type in an ‘l’ in the searchbar:
I don’t know if this is supposed to be a feature or not :confused: But I think it’s a bit annoying

1 Like

Edit: I discovered that I can resize the side bar but it’s really hard to do, you could highlight it when I can resize it.

Nice to know that got resolved. Should probably make the feature a little more “visible”.

Edit2: I found a strange thing. When I try to search for an asset, it also searches for instances IN the asset.

And yes ineed currently the search does search through descendant instances of assets as well. I didn’t really think much of it so I left it in. I suppose I can get rid of it.

Thank you!

1 Like

I have an idea: I know this may sound dumb, but maybe add some limitation to how big and small you can scale the sidebar. I don’t know why, but I feel that could just add just a visual effect.

EDIT: I have another idea: the ability to do a selection box. Lets say you want to delete multiple things at once, well make it so you can use a selection box like in the explorer and press delete to delete them. Maybe also add an “undo” and “redo” for doing things such as deleting and adding objects such as libraries, folders and assets.

1 Like