Beyond The Blox - Roblox dev podcast [#09 on 15 Nov]

Beyond The Blox is a podcast all about the Roblox platform and game development. Whether you’re just starting out or have been developing for a while, this is the podcast for you.

Each episode focuses on a different aspect of Roblox game development to explore best practice, tips and tricks from the development community.

#BeyondTheBlox

Some episodes will be the host, BanTech, talking by himself about a topic, but the majority of episodes will feature developers from the community to discuss topics based around their experience on the platform. The goal is to shed light on different aspects of game development, and help both new and established developers to learn and grow.

Beyond The Blox is available on Anchor, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts and many other popular listening platforms:

Visualiser versions are available on YouTube with closed captions (CC/subtitles).

Episode List

#01 - Preventing Developer's Block

On this episode BanTech explores causes of developer’s block, some ways to prevent it, and discusses how to get rid of it once it’s there. Developer’s block is when you struggle to continue working due to a lack of motivation or passion for the project, or you simply run out of ideas.

Running length: 00:24:15

Audio version: Episode 1 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 1 on YouTube

#02 - Learning to Script on Roblox

On this episode @Alvin_Blox joins BanTech to discuss how they learned to script, and to answer some of the community’s questions on the tools, tips and tricks for learning to script on Roblox. Scripting is a valuable skill and allows you to make your creations come to life by programming behaviours and interactions.

Running length: 00:50:02

Audio version: Episode 2 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 2 on YouTube

#03 - Building a Community for a Game

On this episode, Charlie_RBX joins BanTech to discuss the pros and cons of building a community for your Roblox game, and some advice on how to go about running a community. Charlie_RBX is the owner of Stepford County Railway - a game with 4.8M+ visits, 26,000+ group members and over 6000 Discord members.

Running length: 00:26:28

Apologies for some of the audio on this episode.

I’ve had a cold for a week now (I know, in the middle of summer!) and so my nose was a bit blocked, particularly towards the end. Also the guest’s microphone had a bit of noise that proved difficult to remove - unfortunately I don’t have much control over that.

Audio version: Episode 3 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 3 on YouTube

#04 - How to Get a Career in Video Games

On this episode, @spotco joins BanTech to chat about the game development industry, working at Roblox, and how to make a career out of programming video games. @spotco is a former Roblox employee, creator of RoBeats (29M+ visits) and currently working at a well-known AAA game studio.

Running length: 00:59:58

Audio version: Episode 4 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 4 on YouTube

#05 - Changes to Beyond The Blox

On this special episode, BanTech speaks alone about the evolution of the podcast over the first four episodes, and outlines the latest vision for the podcast, identifying some key changes that are to be in effect from episode 6 onwards to allow many more developers to apply to become a guest on the series, and to enable audience participation.

Summary of the changes (if you don’t have chance to listen) are listed on this post.

Running length: 00:10:19

Audio version: Episode 5 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 5 on YouTube

#06 - Common Mistakes That Cause Games to Fail

On this episode, @iGottic joins BanTech to discuss common mistakes that Roblox developers make which limit their game from reaching its full potential. @iGottic is the creator of No-Scope Sniping, One Shot Insanity and Infinite Autocorrect, and shares his advice on allowing your game to flourish.

Running length: 00:33:46

Audio version: Episode 6 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 6 on YouTube

#07 Wingboy0 - Character Animator and Aspiring Developer

On this episode, @Wingboy0 joins BanTech for a discussion about his work on Roblox and the motivation behind it. @Wingboy0 has several test games and technical demonstrations such as ParkourSystem, Lag Compensation and Defenders of the Realm.

Running length: 00:36:11

Audio version: Episode 7 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 7 on YouTube

#08 Jexpler - 3D GFX Artist

On this episode, @Jexpler joins BanTech for a chat about 3D GFX, Roblox Fame (group) and transitioning into building and scripting. @Jexpler has a few speed arts and some speed builds on his YouTube channel, as well as a never-ending hallway demo SCP-970 based on the anomalous urban fantasy tale.

Running length: 00:25:49

Audio version: Episode 8 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 8 on YouTube

#09 TwentyTwoPilots - Ultimate Driving Creator

On this episode, @TwentyTwoPilots joins BanTech for a chat about the Ultimate Driving universe and its future, as well as TTP’s civil engineering career and the crossovers with Roblox game development. And of course, BanTech gets all the details about TTP’s real-life blue cars courtesy of DevEx income.

Running length: 00:24:29

Audio version: Episode 9 on Anchor
YouTube: Episode 9 on YouTube

Want to get involved in future episodes?

Beyond The Blox is brought to you by BanTech Systems.

83 Likes

This is a really cool idea! I’ll listen to this when I have a chance.

How do you decide who gets to guest star?

2 Likes

To become a guest, either:

• You message me (on here, Twitter, YouTube comments, whatever) with an idea for an episode. Think broad topics, like learning to script, building a community for your game, monetisation, etc. and why you’re a good person to chat to about it.

• Or, if I’m planning some episode ideas and I don’t have a guest yet, I’ll look around and see who’s a good fit. Alvin replied to me on Twitter and I was hoping to do an episode on learning to script, so it was a perfect fit and I tweeted him to see if he was interested.

So if you’re interested, either come to me with an idea, or let me know what your experience is and I’ll come to you with the idea.

8 Likes

Awesome idea, I’m listening to the latest podcast at the moment and there’s some great advice in there that I sure will take note of.
Will you be following a podcast upload schedule or will podcasts be announced in advance on random dates?

1 Like

Is the Spotify version released?

I’m hoping to establish a regular schedule from episode 3 onwards. Episode 2 is this Friday at 11:00 UTC which is exactly two weeks from the first episode.

I’m hoping to reduce this down to weekly but we’ll see how long the whole recording and processing bit takes as I get used to it and have more guests on. I’m also between 3 locations at the moment but I’ll be permanently in my new home from next week so that helps!

Tldr; Fridays, 11:00 UTC (midday UK time), hopefully weekly.

4 Likes

It is indeed! If you’re looking for episode 2 it’ll be out this coming Friday. Episode 1 is available on all the places listed if you go to https://anchor.fm/beyond-the-blox and click “More places to listen”.

Even more platforms will continue to be added as the podcast is accepted there.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it out! How many episodes will there be?

Love it! I was always surprised by the low number of Roblox podcasts so I’m glad somebody is filling that gap.

I’m eager to hear you talk to Alvin as I personally find discussions with other developers/creators some of the most interesting content. I’m curious how it will differ it as your first episode seems very planned out, whereas conversations between two people tend to be more free flowing. It will be interesting, but I’m excited to see how it goes!

Good luck and I hope you keep with it!

3 Likes

There will be as many as possible until I run out of ideas, at which point I’ll conclude the series, take a break, and come back for season 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I started listening to it and I’m really enjoying it. I really like that there’s a few roblox podcasts starting to pop up.

I agree with this. Can’t wait for you to talk to Alvin. Are you going to talk with any other developers?

2 Likes

Absolutely, I’m planning to make most, if not all future episodes be with a guest who is knowledgeable on the topic either by experience or qualifications.

At the moment I have a couple of episodes that are in the planning phase with GeorgeTheDev (creator of NASCAR '18, working his way back up after deleting that game) and Charlie_RBX (I work with him on a rail simulation game which has a community of 24k+ on Roblox group and ~6k on Discord)

I’ve got a few others who sound interested but no confirmed topics for those yet. And I will also be approaching a few different developers from different aspects of the community (modellers, designers and artists, creators of huge games, and some just starting out) to give some insight into areas that I personally am less knowledgeable on but would love to hear about.

2 Likes

Episode 2 featuring @Alvin_Blox is available now on popular listening platforms!

Learning to Script on Roblox

Listen on Anchor:

YouTube version will be available later today, at 16:00 UTC.

6 Likes

This sounds very great, interesting, and unique!

I love Dungeons and Dragons podcasts and I enjoy listening to them while I work.

Will you be featuring developers and talk with them on their upcoming games if something in particular is really exciting?

I think each episode will be on an aspect of game development, so I’d be more than happy to feature developers with upcoming games if they came on to talk about their marketing strategy, or how they are building up a playerbase etc.

Wow, this looks amazing! I will definitely go check this out.

1 Like

Episode 3 featuring Charlie_RBX is available now on popular listening platforms!

Building a Community for a Game

Listen on Anchor:

YouTube version with CC will be available later today, at 17:00 BST / 16:00 UTC.

4 Likes

I think this should be less scripted and more of a one take talk between the people, Player to Creator is a great example of this.

1 Like

Nice one!
Can’t wait to listen to it tonight.
How often are they going to be released?

Thanks for the feedback. I’m definitely going to try to get closer to this in future episodes. It’s hard to make sure all the content gets covered without some guideline, and some of the guests struggle without a proper script, but for example the one with Alvin went off script quite a few times hence it ended up around 50 minutes after cutting down.

It’s sort of a weigh up between how long the episode is, how useful it ends up being, how long it takes me to edit, so that I can get them out (hopefully) weekly and still do my general game development work too.

Still learning so I’m appreciative of the help!

2 Likes