Enhancements to Sponsored Experiences and Ads Manager

Hi Creators,

Today, we’re announcing several enhancements and changes to help you as an advertiser reach your objectives on Roblox.

Driving Better Discovery of Your Experiences

We know that you want the ability to efficiently acquire users by using ads to drive more discovery of your experiences.

Therefore, we’re excited to share that over the next few weeks, sponsored experiences will be elevated to a higher placement on Home. Sponsored experiences promote a creator’s All Ages, 9+ or 13+ experience. Moving sponsored experiences up can help creators drive more impressions and visits to their experience. From our tests, we saw that moving the location of sponsored experiences to a higher position on Home resulted in a significant increase in ad impressions, clicks, and plays per user. You can get started and create a sponsored experience by visiting Ads Manager.

Sponsored row shown elevated on Home

More Ways to Reach Your Audience

We are also providing more ways to reach your audience with genre targeting and expanded location targeting in Ads Manager. Ads Manager allows you to create campaigns for Immersive Ads for ad units within experiences (image ads, video ads, portal ads), and for sponsored experiences. By adding more targeting options within Ads Manager, we also hope 13+ users see more personalized ads for experiences they want to try on Roblox.

Experience and Audience Genre Targeting

Genre targeting helps you target your ads to reach people who are more likely to engage with your experience.

For consistency, these genre classifications used for both audiences and experiences are based upon the content within the experience and are not sourced from genre categories self-declared by creators. Learn more about genre targeting here.

Experience Genre

When buying Immersive Ads, experience genres are based on the genre of the experiences your ads will be served in. For instance, if you select only “Roleplaying,” your ads will only appear in experiences classified as “Roleplaying.”

Audience Genre

For sponsored experiences, audience genre targeting is based on users’ preferences. Ads will only be served to users who like to play experiences in the selected genres.

For sponsored experiences, advertisers can select audience segments based on their recent experience preferences. Note that advertisers cannot use genre targeting on audiences for sponsored experiences in the EU.

Location Targeting

We have also expanded country-level targeting options so you can reach the people that matter to you based on their location. In Ads Manager, advertisers will be able to select up to 10 regions and/or countries. When you target a given region, you automatically target all of the countries within that region. Advertisers will still be able to target regions or countries within a region. For instance, while you can choose the “US & Canada” region, you can also choose to target just US or Canada.

Insights to Help Make Buying Ads Simpler

We want to make it easier for you to create and optimize your ads which is why we’ve also added two new advertiser tools within Ads Manager: audience estimation and bid insights.

Audience Estimation

Audience estimation helps you understand the approximate number of Roblox user accounts your ad can potentially reach when applying your targeting parameters and placements in Ads Manager. Target audience size is based on historical data for your selected targeting parameters and placements. These estimates can help to inform you about the tradeoffs between your targeting selections and the reach of your ad campaign.

Bid Insights

We’ve added bid insights to Ads Manager to help advertisers make more informed bidding decisions. We’ve found that advertisers didn’t always know what to set as their max bid which resulted in campaigns underdelivering or not delivering at all because bids were too low. In the example below, you can see that the winning bid range is between 0.04 and 0.07 USD per play. A bid of 0.01 would likely result in underdelivery or no delivery. You can learn more about our bidding and auction system here.

Example of the suggested bid range shared in Ads Manager

Immersive Ads Video Format

Earlier this month, we also launched the Immersive Ads video ad format. Video ads are videos up to 30 seconds that users can watch in experience, and can be click-to-play or autoplaying. If you’re interested in advertising using video ads, you can learn more here. If you’re interested in showing video ads within your experience, you can learn more here.

Please let us know what other things you’d like to see going forward.

Thank you!

Resources

118 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

This is really cool! Thank you for doing this update :fire:

By the way how does the Audience Genre work? How does Roblox get the “users’ preferences”?

Ty! :heart:

16 Likes

Well, at least genres have a purpose again. I’d like to see more use of it though, perhaps… a filter on the Discover page to search for genres?

28 Likes

The UX of the Ads Manager is absolutely horrific. Please work on this before expanding the functionality.

32 Likes

I would love to test this, however my ads page has not been loading for over 2 months now, because i have over 400 campaigns created, which make my webpage crash

I’ve already made a bug report, it’s really frustrating that I am unable to create or view my capaigns, nor spend any of the credits on my balance.

More information here:

21 Likes

Is there any chance themes could be made part of targeting eventually as well? For example, an ad for a bright and colorful adventure game featuring rainbows and unicorns would probably not appeal to the same people as a dark and gritty post-apocalyptic adventure game with zombies.

10 Likes

God, I’m going to be that guy and not add anything to the thread but honestly what took them so long? I just want to thank whoever finally pushed for this. I love you…

Also, please integrate python into the hub or excel so we can store audience characteristics!!

I mean, could you imagine using an NN for sentiment analysis, this would save soooo much time, please please please a million pleases, add a storable CSV format.

10 Likes

Awesome update to the sponsor system, making it even better :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thats cool and all, but can I have continue back on the top of the home page :muscle:

13 Likes

Can we have some more insight into how genres are determined? What content lands a particular genre? How is the categorization done? Will advertisers have to wait for their game to be reviewed by an admin or other to be able to use the genre targeting?

8 Likes

This has been a very needed and amazing step forward towards improving the new Ads Manager! I think next up we could absolutely benefit from a UX clean-up of the Ads Manager page, with changes such as better filtering previous/current campaigns, and perhaps considering an icon preview on each of the rows, which saves a ton of time for developers who use sponsored ads for icon A/B testing and overall keeps things more concise vs having to open a campaign’s ad tab and expanding it to see what icon was being used.

7 Likes

It’s done automatically by the algorithm/bots IIRC, filtered into predetermined genres that aren’t the same as the ones we had before.

8 Likes

I haven’t tested this yet but oh my god… this could be the best change to sponsors ever.

HELL YEAH!

in my opinion

This is also really useful, I kept trying to sponsor to only U.S. and U.K. players but my bid never seemed to be enough to actually get the campaign moving but this will definitely help!

8 Likes

Did the billing problem get fixed where you couldn’t add your credit card to your account?

6 Likes

Consider moving “Recommended For You” & “Today’s Picks” to the discover page and then having it as
Friends, Continue, Favorites, Sponsored on the home page.

Also really glad to see ads become more personalized to the user hopefully it makes finding games easier.

6 Likes

I wish sponsored experiences were placed higher on home permanently and not just a few weeks considering we are paying Roblox it should be a given we can get our ads better seen. Since you guys have been making all these changes to the ads system it’s actually been hurting my experiences rather than helping them.

11 Likes

Just add back genre search already :cold_face:

12 Likes

I don’t really think this makes up for the removal of the website banner/tower/square advertisements that are made by players, any word on when those are being sunset/deprecated? I know it’s coming up soon…

7 Likes

They still work. You can’t complain whilst they are present.

6 Likes