Having to modify "Override high DPI scaling behavior" just so Studio doesn't appear blurry and poorly scaled

Did you know this is affecting every single laptop user and phone user too?

Every 1080P laptop has the scaling resolution set to 125%, i have to set my DPI settings on a regular laptop which almost everyone has. This means roblox is actually blurry on every single laptop too!

Every phone has a custom resolution because it has to be small and fit in your pocket, so phones aren’t actually a regular screen with a 100% scaling resolution, i had noticed this on my Iphone X, its EXTREMELY blurry and i thought:
“Why is the quality of this game so bad, like can my phone even run this game and is that the reason why its so blurry?”

Its kind of insane that there is no support for a feature which would make roblox look way better for about 90% of the players on roblox.

12 Likes

This is still a problem Roblox hasn’t addressed, It’s extremely annoying having to override the application’s DPI everytime Roblox Studio gets updated.

That being said, maybe it’s time to move away from Roblox to a more competent engine which doesn’t have this problem? Considering this issue doesn’t seem to be getting tackled anytime soon; it’s already been 3 years since this report was made.

13 Likes

Is this is ever being fixed in a close future? I think that a single Yes or No would be enough to settle this…

8 Likes

Thanks to a friend i managed to get & create some code together that easily solves this issue by running a single batch file after an update, this should save a ton of time and struggle as its way faster than having to click all of the options for both studio and roblox player.

I have been changing the DPI settings now for the past 3 years about 8 times every single week for all of my devices, so i am thankful now that theres actually something that makes it easier to semi-solve this issue ourselves.

Create a textdocument, paste this code in and save it with .bat behind the name.

@ECHO OFF

set appPath="%LocalAppData%\Roblox\Versions"

cd %appPath%
for /R %%f in (*.exe) do (
    echo Found Exe: %%f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" /V "%%f" /T REG_SZ /D "~ GDIDPISCALING HIGHDPIAWARE" /F

)

pause
13 Likes

Instead of updating the path, you can just replace it with %LocalAppData% (capitalisation doesn’t matter, %localappdata% works aswell)

set appPath="%LocalAppData%\Roblox\Versions"
9 Likes

Unable to make a new report, but just an aside that as of the latest update, PlayerBeta at the very least no longer seems to properly respect DPI overrides

13 Likes

Just found this out, I am very frustrated but at least I know it is not just me. Great, so I play blurry now? We need a fix for 1440p monitors!

9 Likes

I am also being bothered by this. But yeah, it’s still affecting me and my friend. No solution in sight so far.

7 Likes

Same here, the scaling when I join a roblox game is oversized and makes everything look blurry. This started happening after the latest roblox update.

7 Likes

This is also happening to me, infact, now the scaling looks worse than with the setting disabled.

5 Likes

As an aside, anyone actively affected by this can, until Roblox is aware of the problem, work-around the bug by going to %LocalAppData%\Roblox\Versions, identifying and opening the newest Roblox version folder, creating a folder called ClientSettings and placing this file containing local FFlag overrides which disable the weird change in functionality.

ClientAppSettings.json (188 Bytes)

30 Likes

Thanks for the work-around. I did it but there was no change. Is there anything else I have to do after placing the file in the ClientSettings folder?

3 Likes

Ensure that the ClientSettings folder is placed in the same internal version folder that’s actively in use, incase you misplaced it into the Versions directory. The set-up of the folder should be as per the following:

8 Likes

Thanks, I’ll reboot my system for it to take effect

Edit : Your work-around worked! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Hopefully roblox fixes it

3 Likes

There is actually a really simple fix for this. Download “Windows 10 DPI fix” by XP Explorer (just look it up) and change the high dpi settings for the Roblox player and studio so that they scale properly.

Then once you setup the dpi fix program (by just enabling the “windows 8.1 fix” checkbox) it will automatically keep the high dpi setting enabled after every roblox update and you don’t have to do anything else ever again. This also works for any other windows programs that you enable the high dpi setting on.

Edit: I didn’t realize Roblox just pushed an update out recently that tried to fix this issue. The method above is what I have been using for the past few years. I just noticed the new update today since text and GUIs have appeared to have been scaled up. They are clear and much easier to see for me so I don’t mind everything being scaled up properly. I guess if you’re still experiencing any issues you can try this method.

7 Likes

thank you very much :slight_smile: this fixed my issue with the scaling.

3 Likes

Wow, this actually worked. Thank you so much man!

3 Likes

Sounds like a good fix, but I was able to fix the latest release(508) scaling issue, which for me was that it was not respecting my resolution reduction setting and was giving me the native monitor resolution for Roblox client which runs too slow compared to a lower resolution. I confirmed this by comparing screenshots taken from before and after the last updates, new screenshots were 1920x1080, last week’s screenshots were 1536x864 (my preferred resolution for performance!). My windows display scaling is set at 125% which enlarges the 1536x864 Roblox frame to full screen. After this update, Roblox client decided to run at 1920x1080 and enlarge its fonts based on my windows display scale. The fonts sure were crisp and pretty but my performance went to crap!

I fixed it by setting the DPI properties on the roblox shortcut to force Windows to manage DPI and that created this reg entry:
key: current user…AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions\version-7ac07bdec8dd48ae\RobloxPlayerBeta.exe data:~ DPIUNAWARE

I’ll probably have to do this again next update unless they roll back this terrible change.

They did this one other time that I can recall and they rolled it back, hope they do so again.

If anyone wants to use this method this is how I did it:

5 Likes

So all you did was change it to “System” and not “Application”? Or if there was something extra to do, could you show me an example on how to do it? Sorry, that image isn’t enough for me to understand if you changed something in registry editor.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it with the first solution. Thank you @ittrgrey.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just changed the property, I was just showing what the result was in the registry, I didn’t add that, changing it to ‘system’ added that reg entry.

Glad you got it working.

3 Likes