High Seas | HUGE Archipelago Map - Devlog #4

Hey all,
I’m Infinite_Visions, proud owner of Visions Games . This is my fourth installment on my solo project called High Seas , an up-and-coming Pirate roleplay game. Without further ado, let’s begin.

I’ve been working as much as I can to get this map up and running. It is a huge map - 25+ individual islands, clocking in at around 6,000*6,000 studs. Needless to say, it isn’t finished. However, I have made substantial progress on the main islands, putting a creative twist on the map.

New Features

Huge, creative map! (Images)

Notice: Press “x” to fly around. This will let you move about the map.

As you can see, there are several islands completed. Some are basic, featuring large Armada forts. Some are floating merchant villages, bobbing on top of the waves. On a special few, large volcanoes brew ominously. . . Just watch out for the skeletons!
More villages/towns will be added. Each island will feature it’s own special structures, bosses, and challenges :slight_smile:

Previous Features

Epic Thumbnail/Logo

Ship Building System

This system allows you to build and design your own ship.

NPC Interaction

These npcs will assign quests, give rewards, and more!

Treasure Chest System

In future updates, the first chest will give you a map. This map will lead to the second chest (the real treasure, which will give loot). The first chest will be found in ruins, sunken ships, etc. More to come :slight_smile:

Shovel/Inventory System

As you can see, there is a custom backpack gui. The shovel can dig through terrain, to locate treasure.

Minimap

A beautiful minimap, in the corner of the screen. It will show the map (once I make it), and will expand to show it in greater detail.

Endless Ocean

The ocean is the main feature of any pirate game. As such, it needs to be realistic, exciting, and can’t suddenly end for the player. To combat this, I created an ocean that moves locally with you, but interacts with the server just as it does the client. Using Mesh deformation, I made some nice waves, some simple swimming animations, and a neat camera effect when under water.

Weather will be added (the ocean waves will increase/decrease according to the weather)

Rope Swinging

As we all know, rope swinging is essential to a pirate game. I had some fun messing around with physics, and got:

As you can see, you grab the rope, then move around faster and faster. When you release, you fly off a ways. This will allow you to hop ships in a “Pirate” fashion.
My ship may or may not be sinking.

Ship/Cannon Controls

Ship handling is a work in progress. I have to script my own friction, so I’m working out the kinks. In the future, waves won’t clip through the deck of the ship. The cannon and movement replicates to the server :slight_smile:

Physics will be improved - this is a very, very early stage.

Testing link: High Seas
(Please note: There will be bugs, errors, and glitches. This is the minimum viable product.)

What ideas do you have for island builds? I’d love to know your feedback on this, and what you’d like to be added! Thank you!

People who wanted to be notified for Devlogs: @6NJM, @gpz346, @nanosph, @poop347883
(Just reply saying you want to be added, or removed)

Other High Seas Devlogs

High Seas Devlog 5
High Seas Devlog 3
High Seas Devlog 2
High Seas Devlog 1

12 Likes

Please note: Sea floor has not yet been added. I’m currently working on the islands. Some things need to be adjusted.

Future updates will include sea floor, with sunken shipwrecks, ravines, reefs, and more :slight_smile:

I would like to be notified for devlogs. You should elevate the islands; the water is glitching through them

1 Like

hmm this is kind of mediocre building though, i am not going to rate that as i know it is not fully finished yet, but i will say make volcano better not low poly, better terrain and better building and meshes fit in with terrain

but also the water is weird and seems to only move when you move

2 Likes

I want to join u if u want. Making my portfolio soon.

1 Like

Again really liked reading this, keep me notified. Questions, will there be resources you have to collect around the maps? e.g stone and wood. Do you have a starting character, like so people don’t rthro, sort of something like bedwars? If not I think you should add it.

1 Like

You will have a starting character that you can customize, and you’ll have to collect wood/stone to build and repair your ship. Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I am not the most experienced with building; however, due to the pure size of the map, I can’t have the most complex/detailed builds. More details (things like barrels, lamps, etc) will be added later. I’m sticking to low poly due to the large map, and because I suck at modelling in blender.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll be sure to fix this @poop347883, during “hurricanes” the water does glitch through.

The water is certainly weird when you fly really fast; it follows you, to create an “infinite” ocean. Luckily, in the real game you’ll only be moving at smaller speeds. I do need to update the water collision though.

1 Like

The mechanics look awesome however, if I’m being honest, the building is horrific. You are an amazing programmer as I can see but you either need to practice building and modeling or hire someone to do it for you.

Great work though!

2 Likes

add a compass

this thing:

also

2 Likes

I think this is quite good, but the building is pretty scruffy. I think the main issue with your other game (the coast) was that a lot of people thought it wasn’t built great. You should practice building, its a great skill to have (but to be honest not as important as programming) for people making games on their own.

I don’t mean this in a mean way.

1 Like

Thanks @PrismaticShadows and @EpicTradings. My building skills are definitely horrific, I’m with you there. I find myself in a weird limbo, having to balance design/detail with performance. My building could definitely use more work, I struggle with that.

If you have any pointers as to how I can improve my builds, I’d be happy to hear them.

@hienlong_phan, I found your post hilarious, thanks for taking the time to make that :slight_smile:

You should use more terrain, and also just practice a lot.

1 Like

Yes, I did notice the water movement too.

1 Like

It’s still being worked on. Not a public game yet!

1 Like

Yeah, I am aware of that. I was just commenting on the game in its current state. It could turn out completely different when it’s finished.

1 Like

It’s the coolest game I have ever seen!

something like this always happens and it… dumb
also, the water looks like waving smooth plastic, u can add texture ig.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’m reworking the map, and I’ll be sure to improve the ocean waves. Thanks for letting me know!