High Seas | Treasure Hunting, Tool Mechanics, Minimap - Devlog #2

Hey all,
I’m Infinite_Visions, proud owner of Visions Games . This is my second installment on my solo project called High Seas , an up-and-coming Pirate roleplay game. Without further ado, let’s begin.

Thumbnail

New Features

Treasure Chest System

In future updates, the first chest will give you a map. This map will lead to the second chest (the real treasure, which will give loot). The first chest will be found in ruins, sunken ships, etc. More to come :slight_smile:

Shovel/Inventory System

As you can see, there is a custom backpack gui. The shovel can dig through terrain, to locate treasure.

Minimap

A beautiful minimap, in the corner of the screen. It will show the map (once I make it), and will expand to show it in greater detail.

Other features (Featured in previous Devlogs)

Previous features

Endless Ocean

The ocean is the main feature of any pirate game. As such, it needs to be realistic, exciting, and can’t suddenly end for the player. To combat this, I created an ocean that moves locally with you, but interacts with the server just as it does the client. Using Mesh deformation, I made some nice waves, some simple swimming animations, and a neat camera effect when under water.

Weather will be added (the ocean waves will increase/decrease according to the weather)

Rope Swinging

As we all know, rope swinging is essential to a pirate game. I had some fun messing around with physics, and got:

As you can see, you grab the rope, then move around faster and faster. When you release, you fly off a ways. This will allow you to hop ships in a “Pirate” fashion.
My ship may or may not be sinking.

Ship/Cannon Controls

Ship handling is a work in progress. I have to script my own friction, so I’m working out the kinks. In the future, waves won’t clip through the deck of the ship. The cannon and movement replicates to the server :slight_smile:

Physics will be improved - this is a very, very early stage.

Testing link: High Seas
(Please note: There will be bugs, errors, and glitches. This is the minimum viable product.)

I’d love to know your feedback on this, and what you’d like to be added! Thank you!

Other High Seas Devlogs

High Seas Devlog 5
High Seas Devlog 4
High Seas Devlog 3

High Seas Devlog 1

6 Likes

I’ve updated the chest system. As you can see, the first chest (the “Map” chest) unlocks the second chest. When you get the second chest, it fades gold (and has a particle effect), and awards you a tool (or money).

Any and all feedback welcome.

1 Like

Looking great! Love the progress, do you have any estimate on when you would have a playable beta release?

1 Like

My goal is by the end of this week. I’m busting my butt to get a working demo out. The demo won’t have a lot of the features, but it will be playable (it will probably just be a clean, interactable tutorial). I’ll be sure to let you know, thanks for the support!

Testing place can be found here:

https://www.roblox.com/games/7951064641/Testing-Server-High-Seas

I got a nice thumbnail in. Ship building system, npc interaction, and more have been added.