High Seas | Sunken Ships, Treasure Hunting, Merchant/Ship AI - Devlog #7

Hey all,

I’m Infinite_Visions, proud owner of Visions Games and my admittedly cringy (Or hilarious) Youtube Channel. This is my seventh installment on my solo project called High Seas , an up-and-coming Pirate roleplay game. Without further ado, let’s begin.

New Features

Shipwrecks! (Randomly Spawning)

These shipwrecks randomly spawn around the map. They sometimes have treasure hidden within! Swarmed with sharks, they are dangerous destinations to dive to.

Treasure Hunting/Chest System

There are four different types of chest:

* Treasure Chest
* Map Chest
* Gold Chest
* Boss Chest

Map Chest

As you can see, you open the chest, and it leads you to a treasure chest (sort of like Minecraft)

Treasure Chest

This chest gives you items (swords, armor, etc)

Gold Chest

As expected, this chest gives you randomized amounts of gold when you open it.

Interactable Merchant AI (NPCs, Ships, etc)

Ships

Ships move, following their course. They can also stop at ports, during which time the NPCs unload, and sell items!

When you rob them, the NPCs attack you. Cannons also are fired (with the ability to sink your ship as well as blast you).

Pick pocketing

You can do this to get gold.

Anyone in the crew also gets angry and attacks.

Update (Sidesword, backpack)

Hey, just finished up the custom inventory backpack. You can now add/remove items from your toolbar to your backpack. (Ignore the ugly output)

You also have a sides sword, which you can change depending on your equipped sword:

Other Improvements

Fall damage has been added.

Minimap has received an update! Countless small improvements, bug fixes, and more have been resolved.

Previous Features

Character Customization

Fancy Tutorial

This tutorial is highly interactable - it teaches the main game mechanics.

Shark AI

Spicy UI🔥

Please note: I am still working on the build/placement system gui.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_41 PM

(Old gifs, other UIs updated since then)
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_29 PM
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_32 PM

Zone Travelling System

As you can see, a prompt appears at the top when you travel into the “Open Ocean” (out of the map), and another prompt when you re-enter the island chain.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_52 PM
This can again be seen when you enter a smaller zone in the map.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_53 PM

Building Improvements

Placement system has been updated. However, the actual map building has also been improved thanks to @lieliedash2. You all wanted a more realistic look; we are delivering :slight_smile:

Note: Buildings not final. There are kinks being worked out.

Huge, creative map! (Images)

Notice: Press “x” to fly around. This will let you move about the map.

As you can see, there are several islands completed. Some are basic, featuring large Armada forts. Some are floating merchant villages, bobbing on top of the waves. On a special few, large volcanoes brew ominously. . . Just watch out for the skeletons!
More villages/towns will be added. Each island will feature it’s own special structures, bosses, and challenges :slight_smile:

Epic Thumbnail/Logo

Ship Building System

This system allows you to build and design your own ship.

NPC Interaction

These npcs will assign quests, give rewards, and more!

Treasure Chest System

In future updates, the first chest will give you a map. This map will lead to the second chest (the real treasure, which will give loot). The first chest will be found in ruins, sunken ships, etc. More to come :slight_smile:

Shovel/Inventory System

As you can see, there is a custom backpack gui. The shovel can dig through terrain, to locate treasure.

Minimap

A beautiful minimap, in the corner of the screen. It will show the map (once I make it), and will expand to show it in greater detail.

Endless Ocean

The ocean is the main feature of any pirate game. As such, it needs to be realistic, exciting, and can’t suddenly end for the player. To combat this, I created an ocean that moves locally with you, but interacts with the server just as it does the client. Using Mesh deformation, I made some nice waves, some simple swimming animations, and a neat camera effect when under water.

Weather will be added (the ocean waves will increase/decrease according to the weather)

Rope Swinging

As we all know, rope swinging is essential to a pirate game. I had some fun messing around with physics, and got:

As you can see, you grab the rope, then move around faster and faster. When you release, you fly off a ways. This will allow you to hop ships in a “Pirate” fashion.
My ship may or may not be sinking.

Ship/Cannon Controls

Ship handling is a work in progress. I have to script my own friction, so I’m working out the kinks. In the future, waves won’t clip through the deck of the ship. The cannon and movement replicates to the server :slight_smile:

Physics will be improved - this is a very, very early stage.

Testing link: High Seas
(Please note: There will be bugs, errors, and glitches. This is the minimum viable product.)

What ideas do you have for this game? I am in no way an expert in UI design or building. What can I improve on? Thank you!

What do you think about this update?

• Looks AMAZING!
  • Looks Fine
  • Needs Work (Explain)
  • It’s Terrible (Explain)

0 voters

People who wanted to be notified for Devlogs: @6NJM, @gpz346, @nanosph, @poop347883, @hienlong_phan, @PrismaticShadows, @Lightning_Game27
(Just reply saying you want to be added, or removed)

Other High Seas Devlogs

High Seas Devlog 6
High Seas Devlog 5
High Seas Devlog 4
High Seas Devlog 3
High Seas Devlog 2
High Seas Devlog 1

7 Likes

This seems interesting, could you please add me to the dev log notified users list?

3 Likes

Yeah, most definitely! Thanks for your interest :grin:

1 Like

Would it be possible to make sunken ships generate where a player’s ship fell? It would give the game an extra bit of realism, the ships wouldn’t have to be that accurate to the player’s ship, there just needs to be a ship.

I can’t wait to start making an ocean themed game, I’m currently working on a FNaF clone in Godot, since I’m trying to branch out my skills. Once I’m done with that, I might try to make one.

2 Likes

That’s the plan! When your ship sinks, a wreckage appears (it will be a clone of your ship, with your chests onboard, etc).

When you attack merchant ships, and they sink, a wreckage will also appear.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Though, the concept is very cool, and quite unique for a Roblox game, though the style of it seems a bit odd.

If you’re going for a style such as Sea Of Thieves;

I could participate in the project and give you some free models to continue.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m generally going for a low-medium poly style. The map isn’t built yet, it will hopefully look better by launch.

1 Like

I found some really weird bug :rofl:

the water just disappears when I use my boat

also when you use the boat, sometimes the whole boat disappear and the speed change into “NaN(Ind)”
for a few seconds then reappear.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to fix them. The spear isn’t functional yet, just so you know :joy:

1 Like

u cud just follow him, and ignore other than devlog

1 Like

Hey, just finished up the custom inventory backpack. You can now add/remove items from your toolbar to your backpack. (Ignore the ugly output)

You also have a sides sword, which you can change depending on your equipped sword:

You can now drop items by pressing “F” with an item equipped. This will remove it from both your backpack and your tool bar.

Awesome idea. I love the thought of being able to roam the seas in my ship and raiding places. it’s a great concept so I hope you stick with it.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, it means a lot!

Hey, how should bounty systems work in this game? I can’t seem to think it through. Any thoughts are really appreciated!

I’ve never actually tried, nor can I code. But I think you can treat the bounty as points and make a leaderstats. Each kill you get, you get points. You can rename the points as ‘Bounty’.

1 Like

For the backpack, I think it would be easier if people would just click on the items or drag them into the backpack. The ‘X’ may lead to people thinking it will delete or drop the item.

1 Like

This game looks fascinating! Can you please notify me for the next devlog? Great game!

Thanks for your feedback @poop347883, I’ll be sure to clarify what the “X” means.

Sure thing @Lightning_Game27 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bounties are usually given due to criminal activities right? So the bounties can be like a multiplier or a divisor depending on how much treasure you steal (not find, steal)! For example, if you steal 1000 worth of treasure, your bounty increases by 150 or 1000 * 2.

1 Like