High Seas | Spicy UI, Zones, Building Changes - Devlog #5

Hey all,
I’m Infinite_Visions, proud owner of Visions Games and my admittedly cringy (Or hilarious) Youtube Channel. This is my fifth installment on my solo project called High Seas , an up-and-coming Pirate roleplay game. Without further ado, let’s begin.

New Features

Spicy UI🔥

Please note: I am still working on the build/placement system gui.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_41 PM

(Old gifs, other UIs updated since then)
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_29 PM
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_32 PM

Zone Travelling System

As you can see, a prompt appears at the top when you travel into the “Open Ocean” (out of the map), and another prompt when you re-enter the island chain.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_52 PM
This can again be seen when you enter a smaller zone in the map.
Untitled_ Nov 23, 2021 9_53 PM

Building Improvements

Placement system has been updated. However, the actual map building has also been improved thanks to @lieliedash2. You all wanted a more realistic look; we are delivering :slight_smile:

Note: Buildings not final. There are kinks being worked out.

Previous Features

Huge, creative map! (Images)

Notice: Press “x” to fly around. This will let you move about the map.

As you can see, there are several islands completed. Some are basic, featuring large Armada forts. Some are floating merchant villages, bobbing on top of the waves. On a special few, large volcanoes brew ominously. . . Just watch out for the skeletons!
More villages/towns will be added. Each island will feature it’s own special structures, bosses, and challenges :slight_smile:

Epic Thumbnail/Logo

Ship Building System

This system allows you to build and design your own ship.

NPC Interaction

These npcs will assign quests, give rewards, and more!

Treasure Chest System

In future updates, the first chest will give you a map. This map will lead to the second chest (the real treasure, which will give loot). The first chest will be found in ruins, sunken ships, etc. More to come :slight_smile:

Shovel/Inventory System

As you can see, there is a custom backpack gui. The shovel can dig through terrain, to locate treasure.

Minimap

A beautiful minimap, in the corner of the screen. It will show the map (once I make it), and will expand to show it in greater detail.

Endless Ocean

The ocean is the main feature of any pirate game. As such, it needs to be realistic, exciting, and can’t suddenly end for the player. To combat this, I created an ocean that moves locally with you, but interacts with the server just as it does the client. Using Mesh deformation, I made some nice waves, some simple swimming animations, and a neat camera effect when under water.

Weather will be added (the ocean waves will increase/decrease according to the weather)

Rope Swinging

As we all know, rope swinging is essential to a pirate game. I had some fun messing around with physics, and got:

As you can see, you grab the rope, then move around faster and faster. When you release, you fly off a ways. This will allow you to hop ships in a “Pirate” fashion.
My ship may or may not be sinking.

Ship/Cannon Controls

Ship handling is a work in progress. I have to script my own friction, so I’m working out the kinks. In the future, waves won’t clip through the deck of the ship. The cannon and movement replicates to the server :slight_smile:

Physics will be improved - this is a very, very early stage.

Testing link: High Seas
(Please note: There will be bugs, errors, and glitches. This is the minimum viable product.)

What ideas do you have for this game? I am in no way an expert in UI design or building. What can I improve on? Thank you!

People who wanted to be notified for Devlogs: @6NJM, @gpz346, @nanosph, @poop347883, @hienlong_phan
(Just reply saying you want to be added, or removed)

Other High Seas Devlogs

High Seas Devlog 4
High Seas Devlog 3
High Seas Devlog 2
High Seas Devlog 1

3 Likes

U must use beam ropes like vision’s spiderman game and wait till roblox add collision for skinned meshes. Or y can try to add collisions to water by itself in some way. Improvements in ui and animations needed pbr needed.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by this? Could you clarify? Thanks :slight_smile:

Looks like a cool concept. Good luck with your game!

1 Like

I meant about ocean they dont have collision

I’m working on this, I’ll figure some hacky solution out. What exactly needs improvement for the UI? I’d love to fix it. Animations will be receiving a major revamp, once I near closer to completion. The feedback really helps :grin:

That is a very spicy UI. I like how when your character equips the item, the UI get’s a bit bigger.
Very good attention to detail!

1 Like

Yeah the animations need work and are you going r6? because for a game like this i personally would use r15

I’m going to be going R15. I haven’t focused on the animation yet, but I’ll be sure to update it when I do :slight_smile:

This was again really interesting to read, keep me updated. I like the new building, but the problem might be that now you have to do that type of building for all the other builds for it to look better. Overall I really like it.

1 Like

You should create your own decals for the tool GUI. They both look like they’re from different games.

When falling in the water, you can’t get back up. With this being said you would have to lower the island but the waves are already peeking over it

So maybe reduce how much the waves go up and flatten them. This is for the 1st island. (I understand you can fly!)

Instead of having a shotgun sound when firing the cannon, you can use a ‘BOOM!’ instead.

The clouds are glitchy!

When opening the treasure map, add a minimizing button where it goes into the corner of your screen. Reference (Vehicle Simulator) image

The building places the object above the ground. While building, players can step on their building to maybe glitch to other places.

When exiting the building mode, the Twitter Codes pop up.

Thanks for letting me know!

Right now, the tool decals are random ones for the toolbox (my lazy version). I’m in the process of making them still.

That isn’t actually an island, it is a bunch of random junk I need to get rid of.

I’m working on a fix :slight_smile:

The sound is temporary, until I can find a better one.

Great idea, I’m in the process of adding it.

Thanks for reporting this!

This should be fixed in newer versions.