How To Dress NPCs

(This is a turorial for my plugin, EasyInsert)

You know the problem. You’re trying to make an NPC (That’s a Non-Player-Character) but you either have to A) Use free models or B) write annoying code to customize it. Heck, even getting ahold of a usable rig can be frustrating!

Luckily, there are plugins that help you do this, right? Yeah, but they’re extremely basic. And you aren’t basic. You’re a pro. And what do pros use? My plugin, EasyInsert, of course!

This is an easy-to-use plugin for dressing NPCs. It’s also very powerful. Just click its button in the plugin menu and voila!

Player11Tex

How to dress an NPC

1. First, let’s make a rig. You’ll see two buttons at the top that allow you to make R15 and R6 rigs. Click the one you want to add. You can also use any other rig (e.g. a free model) so long as it has a humanoid in it.

2. Find an item to insert. This can be any accessory, shirt, pant, face, etc. from the catalog. Copy and paste its link (or just its ID) into the “Asset ID” box.

3. Highlight your NPC, and press insert. Yay! Now it’s wearing your item!

Other Features
Since I use this plugin for 99% of my NPC appearance needs, I have added many features that make EasyInsert better than any other customization plugin:

• EasyInsert automatically detects if shirts, pants, or faces are already in your model, and removes them if needed. This means you won’t have two faces or something show up.

• You can dress NPCs by user ID to match other users. R15 and RTHRO compatible!

• You can easily scale your characters. Make them really tall or really small!

• The plugin has both a light and dark theme.

• You can insert only handles (Good if you just want a mesh but not the whole accessory.)

• You can insert items with their ID (Useful for making archives and databases of items in-game, or if you need the ID for something in the future.)

• You can quickly change NPC skin colors without manually doing it in studio.

• You can select only the NPC’s head and Accessories. Useful for moving just the NPC’s head for screenshots and stuff. **This feature has been temporarily removed.

GET IT:

IMPORTANT: Roblox has introduced a permissions system for plugins. EasyInsert needs permission to inject scripts into your project to function properly. No scripts are actually added to your project; EasyInsert just clones scripts internally (I coded this plugin a long time ago and I’m not gonna change it lol). You can use this plugin safely!

Any feedback is always appreciated!

178 Likes

A viola is a large violin :stuck_out_tongue:

18 Likes

I intended to do that…

9 Likes

Guess you could say it was an… intended pun

52 Likes

Nice plugin. Guess this’ll save me from my manual method, as described below.

• Inserting a rig: I use TheRings0fSaturn’s Classic Animation Editor plugin or Roblox’s to generate a blank rig - may use Moon Animation Suite rig tool if I’m feeling a little adventurous.
  • Getting character appearances: Use Players::GetCharacterAppearanceAsync and then parent the children to the rig (usually only use R6, so my code only applies to R6 characteres - I handle R15 business differently).
  • Dressing characters: Insert Shirt or Pants to character, paste entire link to ShirtTemplate or PantsTemplate, let Studio automatically convert the catalog id to the asset id.

so yes, this does save 30 minutes of my time that i don’t end up using for anything useful anyway

:+1:

12 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly why I made it! I disliked the long, grueling process of all that :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I finally updated the plugin! Here are the improvements:

• RTHRO support.

• 100% Dark theme support.

• General UI improvements.

• Tons of fixes across the board. For instance, I finally got package support working again.

• Revamped Skin menu that’s way easier to use.

• Default rigs have completely transparent HumanoidRootParts now.

Overall, the whole thing is now less of a personal plugin and more of a public resource. I hope I can help many people with it!

13 Likes

Extremely helpful! Good work. The process of NPC’s dressing is pretty tedious. I like the simplicity of this plugin, but it is very useful.

5 Likes

Fantastic and helpful plugin! Only gripe i have is the “Infinite yield” thrown whenever studio is opened.

“Infinite yield possible on ‘ReplicatedStorage:WaitForChild(“UsefulFunctions”)’”

Is there a released version of this “UsefulFunctions” module we could grab?

3 Likes

Oops. That’s my personal module. I’ll fix that, I don’t think it’s needed.

Edit: Fixed

4 Likes

I have an early Christmas gift for everyone: A very colorful update!

The skin feature has been updated to include more colors! Now you are no longer limited to generic skin tones:
4c4f4c9dd761d7417999bc601af897ab (2)
The skin feature also now internally uses BodyColors. This not only allows greater support for models that already include BodyColors, but also means you can easily save and load your NPC’s colors. Want players to load in as a zombie? No need to manually add and adjust the BodyColors, because now the plugin does this for you!

The Dress by User ID feature has also been updated! It no longer gets stuck with the old selection’s package when using packages, so you can rest assured your model looks right. Also, EasyInsert will now add a rig for you when using Dress by ID if you don’t have one currently selected! Side note: I realize Rthro is weird when using Dress by ID. I will took into it soon.

I have also adjusted the UI animations to be less… flashy. The UI now smoothly slides in and out instead of bouncing around everywhere. Changing this also fixed a glitch where the plugin wouldn’t always open when you hit the studio button. I have no idea if anyone ever ran into that bug, but it shouldn’t happen anymore!

As Roblox’s next generation of avatars is quickly approaching, I want to make it known that I will try and keep this plugin up-to-date. Who knows what crazy new features await?

18 Likes

No matter what I click, I keep getting invalid ID :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! Can you please show me a screenshot of the plugin and what ID you’re trying to use?

1 Like

Cool, this plugin will definitely save time for me. I am use to manually creating NPC’s which can take quite a bit of time.

1 Like

To think spending hours of making all my NPC’s could take less then 15 minutes. Absolutely fabulous. Definitely will make sure to share around.

3 Likes

I did find a bug with the plugin while using it. When I select R15 Rig then input my userID, it transforms properly but my head, and all accessories with it disconnect and either go in front of the rig, or behind, near the leg area.

2 Likes

Update: It only breaks when I wear a Rose lapel, or Black Iron Cape. I’m assuming it has something to do with back and front accessories locations affecting where the head goes.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I will investigate when I have the chance. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe I fixed this bug! Let me know if problems persist

2 Likes

Issue!
There is an issue I want to mention with this plugin. The issue is with the face. When I add a face it doesn’t replace or delete the existing face so it overlaps the previous face.

2 Likes