How to Make 3D Text Without Blender on Windows

Creating 3D Text Without Blender

Hey y’all. It’s Macaw. This tutorial will cover each step in creating 3D text without the use of Blender.

Programs needed:

• Paint 3D. This will be hard-installed on every Windows computer, so there’s no downloading required. If for some reason, you don’t have it installed, get it here.

Instructions

Part One: Opening and Setting Up Paint 3D

Go to the search bar in the bottom left corner of your computer, type in “Paint 3D,” and click on the Paint 3D Application that pops up.

If you’re presented with a welcome screen, select “New.” This will open up a fresh, blank canvas.

Now select “Canvas” at the top of the screen, and turn “Show Canvas” off.

Part Two: Making and Customizing the 3D Text

Select “Text” at the top of your screen. This will allow us to actually put in the words we want.

Now click and drag to create a text box. You’ll see marching ants.

From there, you can do a multitude of things to customize your text. See the picture below.

1- Extend the text box to the left and right.
2- Extend the text box up and down.
3- Write your text. Alternatively, just copy-paste in your text
4- Rotate your text.

Customization continued.

Remember to highlight the text you want to edit.

5- Zoom in and out, using a bar
6- Zoom in and out, using input
7- Change the font. (Preinstalled fonts cover Latin scripts only)
8- Change the color. The resulting mesh will not be colored, though, so there’s no use in using it.
9- Change the font size.
10- Bold, Italicize, and Underline respectively. (Latin scripts only)
11- Left aligned, Center aligned, and Right align respectively.
12- Navigate the workspace. Use the bottom bar to move left and right and the side bar to move up and down.

Once you’re satisfied with your text, click out of the box.

Part Three: Exporting the File

This is where the 3D aspect comes in, and trust me, it’s cool.
First click “3D View” at the top of the screen. This will let you see what your text will look like.

Isn’t this cool? Click and hold the right mouse button to move your camera like you would in Roblox Studio. Use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out.

Now select Menu in the top right hand corner.

Select “Save as” and then select “3D model.”

A Save As pop-up will appear. Name your file, and then Save as a FBX file. Click the drop-down to choose the file type. When done, press “Save.”

Part Four: Getting the Text into the Studio

Now, exit Paint 3D. If it asks you to Save your Work, select “Don’t Save” as you’ve already saved your work.

Start Roblox Studio and open the place in which you’d like your 3D text to exist in. Open the Explorer and Properties in the “View” tab.

Insert a MeshPart. Simply right-click the Workspace, click Insert Object, and then either scroll until you find Mesh Part or use the search bar to find the object.

Click on MeshPart to insert it.

Now, notice “MeshId.” in “Properties.” Select the little folder icon to the right of MeshId.

Select your 3D text’s FBX file. Then press open in the bottom right corner.

If this pop-up appears, either choice will work. You can always move your mesh somewhere else after it’s been loaded in.

Part Five: Finishing Touches

If your mesh too small, like mine is, use the scale tool. This allows you to make your mesh bigger in any dimension. Remember to use shift while using the resize tool if you want to keep proportions.

Much better.

From here on out, your 3D text acts as any other mesh.

Make it thicker or thinner with the resize tool.

Like any other mesh, the possibilities are endless.

1- Change the text’s color.
2- Change the material.
3- Change the refelectance.
4- Change the transparency.

Finished Product:

Limitations:

Pros:

• Fast and quick.
  • Works with most scripts in most languages.
  • Lots of customization options like font size, custom font type, text alignment, etc.

Cons:

• No preinstalled fonts available for non-Latin scripts.
  • Bold, Italic, and Underline not available for non-Latin scripts.
  • Can’t edit mesh after it’s saved as a file.

Q & A

Q: Why can’t I use @XAXA’s ThreeDText 2 Plugin?
A: While the plugin is very quick and efficient, it only has 12 fonts to pick from. The plugin also only supports a limited number of characters; Languages with non-Latin scripts such as Chinese, Japanese, Thai, and Arabic aren’t supported.

But, the plugin does make it significantly easier to edit words, though, and is very fast. It’s amazing. So, by all means, if you’re trying to create 3D text for a Latin-based script, and if you don’t mind a limited number of fonts, go ahead and install the plugin. I’d highly recommend it.

Q: Why can’t I use Blender?
A: You can, but I won’t be covering how. Think of this as a faster and easier alternative to using Blender.

Q: Why FBX?
A: Roblox Studio will only open FBX and OBJ files. Additionally, most people just tell you to.

Q: Why Windows only?
A: Because Paint 3D is only available on a Windows computer.

Q: What does 拉麺 mean?
A: Ramen.

Thanks for reading this all the way through. Hope this helped you.
TL;DR: Read the tutorial. It’s not that difficult.

109 Likes

This is awesome, but you can download more fonts for Paint 3D, at least this is what i did. Do you have any idea about the poly count of an average letter?

4 Likes

This is lovely, thank for this great tutorial, it makes creating 3D text so much easier, would heart your post twice if i could.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed how paint 3d had this feature but I never used it. It may be a bit tedious but it could be helpful if I don’t want to use blender at the moment.

3 Likes

Or simply use this plugin :confused:

8 Likes

That is good too, and fast, but if you want to use a font not supported by the plugin, it is a much better solution to just add it to paint 3D and follow the tutorial.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. but i mean, unless your trying too type enchantment table as 3D text then It works perfectly.

3 Likes

I addressed this in the tutorial, @alexfancoolYT, in Q & A:

The plugin only has 12 fonts versus the wide library of fonts Paint 3D has. It also only supports Latin scripts. But that, indeed, is an excellent plugin to use nonetheless. It’s an alternative, true, but each method with it’s own pros and cons. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hmm. thanks for the help!, i needed some info here and there but i mostly write bold and in english so i see it as a simple way too just make 3D text if your on a rush.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback - DM Instead of Reply

This is actually really cool Ill def use this in the future.

2 Likes

I do enjoy seeing you find more ways to use 3D text for studios. Though isn’t there plugins where you can simply copy and paste the text to make it look exact. Since you can even change thickness of it and color, material.

2 Likes

Thank you! That really means a lot.

To answer your question, this method does, in fact, allow you to change the color and material. Since both end results are meshes, both methods of customization can be achieved through both this tutorial and the ThreeDText 2 Plugin.

Thickness, length-wise, is a con, but the mesh can still be stretched to the left and the right. Although, the 3D text can be extended as far back as you want, since it has properties like any other mesh would, and that would be a pro.

For more pros and cons, refer to the Q & A, and an earlier reply:

1 Like

Apologies for being almost a week late, but thank you! It really means a lot.

As for this statement:

This is true. I won’t be covering how to do so in this tutorial at the moment, but I may add this in the tutorial in the future. I’ve updated these two statements to reflect your point:

This sentence now says “preinstalled.”

This description for the font changer now includes the word preinstalled.

This is something that makes the free program very versatile, with greater font choice than ThreeDText 2. That’s one pro Paint3D has over the plugin.

3 Likes

How to Use Custom Fonts

I might as well share with y’all how to add custom fonts too! This is good if one wants more specialized fonts or is looking for customization in other languages. (Infinite fonts when compared to XAXA’s amazing plugin!)

1. Find a font you like and download it. I like dafont.com in particular- just make sure you’re legally allowed to use and download the font!

2. Double-click on the zip folder with the font you want:

3. Double-click on the TrueType font file of your choice:

4. Click “Install”

5. Open up Paint3D. Follow the steps in the OP, and when choosing fonts to apply to your text, select the font you just installed in the dropdown!

6.Remember to highlight the text when selecting the font or the font will not apply. Voilà!

Q&A:

Q: What sites can I use to find fonts other than dafont.com?
A: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/ is another great site, and so is https://www.1001freefonts.com/

Q: Does this only work with alphanumeric scripts?
A: As long as the font you’ve downloaded supports whatever language you choose, this method can apply to any script!

Q: Who is XAXA??
A: This is XAXA’s 3D font plugin. It’s widely used and I highly recommend it if you want very quick and easy 3D text with more or less limited font selection + only alphanumeric support. Really, go check it out, I use it quite often!

Thank you all for reading this!

3 Likes

Hey this is really cool! If we can use it for letters can’t we also use it for shapes too? :flushed:

1 Like

Yes, but this functionality is beyond the scope of this tutorial!

Is there a way to using transparent logos instead of the text option?

Microsoft has recently removed the .fbx export option from Paint 3D, so this method can unfortunately no longer be used. Seems like Blender or one of the plugins with limited fonts is the only way to go for this.

You can try to user an online file converter :slight_smile:

1 Like