How to make a custom character in your game

So to start, let me introduce one of my proud creations, my very own robot rig with 23 joints!

It was a very complex but fun process, so I’d like to share my learnings with everyone.

77f42c11676f410899bf60ed638dae29

Here’s how to build a custom character in Roblox!

1. Build your character.

The most basic requirement is an idea, but how do we make this idea a reality?

Building characters can be done any way you want, it doesn’t even have to be a humanoid structure but, a good idea is to make it as few parts as possible. Once you finish building your character, if you have too many extra parts, I recommend unioning the ones that go together so the rigging process is a lot easier, like what I did in this image:

2. Name your body parts

Naming is one of the most important parts of making a custom character. If you have a humanoid-shaped character, Ideally, you’re going to want to make the naming about the same as a normal character, or else the animation editor likes to throw a bit of a fit. As you can see in this image, I named all my parts based off of the normal character, and added a few other custom names in there such as “RightWrist” or “LeftAnkle”.

The single most important part is the HumanoidRootPart (HRP for short). The HRP is the command center that the humanoid bases all of its actions on, every rig needs to have one. The HRP should be placed right above the legs and cover the entire torso for best results. You don’t HAVE to make it that size, but it’s recommended. Here’s what mine looks like:

(Transparency set to 0.5 so you can see it.)

e77efac565c93957fffdd1adf09bed70

3. Start rigging!

Rigging is the most simple, but in some cases, the most confusing part of all of this. For this process, I recommend using this plugin.

EDIT: The previous plugin has been dead for a while now. Use this one instead: RigEdit Lite - Roblox
Thank you @TeamSwordphin

There is already a wiki tutorial on it in its description.

One thing to note is the hierarchy of the rig, it should always be like a tree, with the HRP as the root.

This is how the tree should go.

HRP
 Hip
  Torso
   Arm
    Hand
  Leg
   Foot

4. Start Animating!

Once you’ve got the rig right, Its time to make animations to support this rig. You should be able to use the Roblox animation editor with your rig, if not, make sure your rig is formatted correctly.

If it prompts you to anchor the HRP, select Yes.

5. (Optional) Make it a Starter Character

If you want players to play as this character, make sure you add a Humanoid, and name the Character “StarterCharacter” and parent it to “StarterPlayer”. Make sure EVERYTHING inside the rig is unanchored from the start, or it will freeze in the air.

To add any animations you made, you’ll have to modify or make your own default animation code.

When you play as your character, you may notice that when you walk, your character may appear to float, or its legs may be sunken into the ground. This is normal, you have to fix this by modifying the HipHeight property in Humanoid. You’ll have to guess and check till you get it right, I would just modify the property while in test mode via properties, then apply it to the StarterCharacters Humanoid once you find out the exact number.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions or if I missed something let me know!

131 Likes

Very useful tutorial! Kudos to you, I might experiment with this technique.

11 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial, but I have a problem. You can’t install the character creator plugin anymore. Do you have the link to the new version? Thanks.

4 Likes

Character creator is a little outdated, even for it’s newest version. I would opt to go for a more modern solution, such as RigEdit. There is a paid version but it’s not needed as it’s just extra features. It will have a different user interface but it works generally the same.

7 Likes

Ah, thanks so much! I think it’ll be useful for my works.

3 Likes

I

, But i am still a robloxian. Help?

I edited the post to be a bit more clear, read over step #5 again and that should help you resolve your issue.

Okay it works now. Thank you!

My character is facing the wrong way!

That likely means you rigged the character with the HumanoidRootPart facing the wrong direction.

Yes I think that was the problem, But I fixed it. Thanks!

Rate?

0 voters

Okay so. I’m making a game in r6 with custom r6 models, think of them as character skins. So when a player decides to equip a character skin from their inventory do I fire a remote event and make it clone that character skin and rename it to StarterCharacter then parent it to starter player?

I want to make it so individual players can equip different character skins. So in my system I’m making a player clicks equip, it clones the model from their inventory, then renames that clone to starter character. Would this apply that skin to everyone or just the single person? Correct me if I’m wrong but anything in starter stuff everyone will get automatically right? @Stratiz