How to make a generate a low poly terrain in blender in less than 10 seconds!

Hey there! I’ve made a pretty neat discovery in blender today. I’m pretty sure all of you always get sick and tired when trying to make low poly mesh terrains for your games. Without further ado, I present to you how to generate a low poly terrain in blender in less than 10 seconds!

Step 1:

Add a landscape mesh in your blender scene:

Bonus: You can tweak your terrain in the left sidebar for a customized terrain!

Step 2:

Add the “Decimate” modifier to the object. Set it to a value between 0.05 and 0.20 depending on your low polyness preference.

Step 3 (Final!):

Click on the “Flat” button under the shading section of the left-hand toolbar.

Voila!!!

Some more styles

Hope this helps, enjoy!

In Roblox:
https://devforum.roblox.com/uploads/default/original/3X/2/1/214705b7945e5ee9d342794ea716720f2419e83c.jpg

Edit: The landscape tool is an add-on that comes with blender, all you gotta do is enable in the preferences. (User preferences > Addons > Add Mesh > A.N.T. Landscape)

61 Likes

Nice tutorial, although this isn’t Roblox-related so it might get moved.

1 Like

It is roblox related! These would be moved to studio!

4 Likes

Yeah but I had the same sort of idea with a common punctuation error and it got moved

It could really be used in Roblox, but since it isn’t directly to do with it, it’s not supposed to be here

(I guess that’s fine since it stops spam but it’s really annoying lol)

3 Likes

:man_shrugging: It’s still roblox development!

Just imported this now.

5 Likes

No, it’s blender development lol
It can be used in Roblox, but Roblox isn’t mentioned or used at all in this tutorial

While it may be useful, just like proper punctuation, it’s not valid for this category because I guess people would spam it with unrelated things that ‘can be used in Roblox!’

I don’t want to get in an argument so I’ll stop here

4 Likes

:wink: Hope this helps!

1 Like

The Tutorials category is for a lot of things. This is fine to be posted here, and it’s helpful.

7 Likes

If you look at all the tutorials, you’ll see that every one is directly connected to Roblox in some way. The blender ones are for importing/exporting stuff to Roblox, not just blender.

This one doesn’t even have Roblox mentioned anywhere, and is exclusively for blender. I’m really surprised it hasn’t been moved yet.

3 Likes

:ok_hand:

3 Likes

True, but it’s pretty clear that it’s showing you that you can use this method if you’re having trouble with low-poly terrain in Roblox. It shouldn’t be moved, because it’s an in-depth tutorial and it’s helpful to a lot of people - myself included.

2 Likes

Just because it’s helpful doesn’t mean it is valid.

If the mod team lets people do this, that means this category is liable to be spammed with anything that ‘can be used in Roblox!!’

And like I said, Roblox isn’t even mentioned in the tutorial, so it really isn’t that clear in my opinion.

1 Like

Well this is getting out of hand. I do agree though that you should at least add a section to this tutorial where you actually add the resulting mesh into studio.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial it’s better than using a triangle terrain plugin lol
If you have a really big map, you could probably split the terrain in square sections to be able to load pieces in/out based on distance

Can you make another tutorial for creating roads/track pieces in blender? Cuz in studio it’s impossible to create flawless banked turns with the current lineup of available plugins, as quickly as you can in blender

10 Likes

Where is this ‘Landscape’ button located?

7 Likes

I will use this for roblox development thank you

4 Likes

Really unless you want to import a whole road system from blender, I would stick with part road segments and use gapfill to fill in curves. Blender road segments can’t really be pieced together, or are hard to.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this would work well within Roblox as the last time I tried importing something like this, the collision mesh was inacurrate. So unless the collision meshes have improved I wouldn’t really use this as something the players could walk on, but instead as a background object.

5 Likes

@sunlattroblox123 @vsnry

Example of what I mean:
( https://twitter.com/PhaZeRO_/status/956089138465271808 )

This guy makes the tracks in blender and moves them to roblox with a mesh-to-part converter to avoid potential collision mesh issues (mostly to avoid the poly limit for roblox meshes)

Mesh-to-part converter:
( https://twitter.com/PhaZeRO_/status/910486025473998848 )

Using the Gapfill plugin on road segments won’t work for crazy banked turns (like, rollercoaster-type roads). It just stops working at odd angles. It’s also very time consuming compared to phazero’s method

6 Likes

That’s a good question.

@nurgenius, are you sure it’s not a mod?

3 Likes