I want to get into Modelling on Blender where do I start?

So, as the UGC dropped, I wanted to start learning to sculpt/model on blender.
As maybe one day I’ll be accepted into the UGC.

So, where do I start?
Any useful tips for beginners?

7 Likes

Hey Raptor, I’d recommend watching this video, I used it originally to learn 3D modelling and it’s very helpful and clear for beginners, I’d also recommend at looking at some of his other videos on his channel for more advanced tips and tricks :wink:

10 Likes

Alright, thanks for helping! I’ll check him out!

2 Likes

After Modelling for around 2 years now, I’ve found that the best way to learn (for me) is just to go ahead and just try to make what you want. All you need to learn first is how to add and manipulate meshes, and you’re good to go with your first model. Beyond this, I have always just done a google search if I’ve been stuck somewhere. Doing this, you don’t even realise that you’re learning new bits of the software, and before long you will know an awful lot more than you thought you did - there are loads of different ways to do one thing in Blender. Lastly, it’s especially important with Blender, as well as other 3D software, that you don’t give up when you can’t do something, since it can seem incredibly daunting and is incredibly complicated. That is the mistake that I have seen so many others make which leaves them sour about the software and without the ability to 3D model. Hopefully this helps a little. :3

3 Likes

I just realized, he’s using the old type of blender not 2.8 so, I’ll try find another tutorial! Thanks!

2 Likes

Following on from what Lolaphobia said, you can watch his Begginner tutorial series:

Once you’ve finished with that you can watch his intermediate tutorial series:

Good luck!

3 Likes

Blender 2.8 is more beginner friendly I think, but you can also use 2.7x controls if you’d like, or just download 2.7 and use that.

2 Likes

Just watch a bunch of tutorials on blender for sure. Make sure to have Blender 2.8 :wink:

2 Likes

I recommended starting with ether Blender or C4D (Cinema 4D). Personally, I use Blender, so I can’t give tips for C4D.

Blender is kind of complex to use, so I recommend you play around with it if you do plan to go down the Blender route. Watch a lot of tutorials to learn about it, and once you get the hang of it, everything will be easy.

Note: There are a LOT of different keybinds.

Good luck on your journey.

2 Likes

The beginner basics that will set you up for life is Extrude, E, Move right click-drag and middle roller thingy and move and stuff like that, basically, the 2.8 Update made everything much clearer and easier.

3 Likes

If you are interested in doing low-poly models or models you can use this.

1 Like