Increase Particle Emitters View Distance

Currently the render distance of particles is very small. We’re trying to put explosion effects to our ships but they are not visible from far away which is very annoying.

It is currently impossible to create nice particle effects far away from the camera. Things like smoke and fire should be able to be seen from far away with at least some detail.

It’s simply too hard to create nice effects in the distance. I was planning to create my own particle module using BillboardGuis but moving them was too intensive on the CPU so I had to scrape that idea.

I’ve suggested this before but I’m creating a new topic to address the issue again with a different reason.

58 Likes

I’ll think about it. Maybe make it dependent on the apparent bbox size instead of just raw distance, so that it would properly take big emitters into account.

34 Likes

Thanks, that’s really useful but, we’re using attachments for our explosion effects on our ships. And it would be awesome if we could maybe have a property that could define the max view distance, as adding that property wouldn’t change the games that are already optimized for that view distance but ones that need to, would be able to utilize it.

6 Likes

Support, I was about to post about this until I found this thread.

It is currently impossible to have control over a particle effect’s visibility at large distances even at high graphics settings.
The first funnel is supposed to be producing smoke at this time, but I am flying in the game relatively far away with a lower FOV to produce cinematic effects (it’s a gamepass in “Roblox Titanic”)

11 Likes

There is one workaround I found for this. By using the :Emit() method on the particle emitters. Yes it’s annoying to have a loop constantly emit particles, but it’s a good workaround that I found. It would still be great to have this behavior built into the “enabled” property though since no code required to workaround particle view distances.

(Based on current behavior)
Because of how the view distance works on emitters, when a particle is enabled, it emits a specific amount of particles based on the graphics quality and camera distance from the source. If graphics are high enough, and the camera is close enough, it emits the full rate of particles. But if the camera starts moving away from the source, it’s emission rate goes down till it reaches 0. Same story if the graphics quality is lowered but your close to the source, emission rate goes down. :Emit() can get around this.

Edit: After playing around with particles again after a while, it seems that if you are on graphics 8 or higher, they just disappear after a short distance. Kinda grinds my gears a bit.

8 Likes

Bumping this. This is an ongoing problem.

For games which utilize large maps, large everything really, this incurs a slight issue.

The distances will also be great

Due to the distances involved, effects have to be dumbed down to something as simple as a tweened sphere, which could arguably eat at performance more than particles being emitted, especially if the distances are so great that the tweened object representing the effect has to be massive to be visible from far away.

Increasing renderdistance for particles, or allowing it to scale with particle size would help mitigate this issue.

Roblox, I implore you to investigate the possibility of extending renderdistance for particles further.

9 Likes

also i would like to comment on the prospective usefulness of a render distance property on particle emitters:

as already aforementioned, any alternatives used to compensate (annoyingly) absent particles are mostly performance-heavy and i personally deem them utterly stupid considering that the only reason why they are employed into games is to cover up something that roblox themselves should solve (i also view this as a problem)

i cant form a single argument against this implementation or at least something alike
i suppose the feasibility, but that all boils down to if roblox can be bothered or not (not slandering)

8 Likes

I want to continue this topic as particles are one of the most important effects in the made-up by developers’ Experiences.

At the moment there are new features that allow us to expand our wings to new ideas, yet some of them that we might have in mind are of no use due to the fact that you have to be nearby the object that emits that particle. With that in mind, why not give the option to emit the particles regardless of distance?
You have a new option box to either allow the certain particles to stop emitting if you’re far away by default and if it’s bothering you, you could enable to option to forcefully emit particles no matter if you’re looking at them or if you’re far away to view them.

Obviously, some people might mention something about problems with performance, but it’s their problem if they emit too much. I just would perhaps want to add a particle border that emits clouds moving around, but unfortunately, they do not generate particles if I am not in the center of the arena.

I do believe many of the Developers would want the feature to emit particles no matter how far away you are from it.

Also going to bump this. Particle Emitters are a huge portion of my game and it just looks bad with poor view distance. There are a ludicrous amounts of benefits from this and it’s simply unreasonable to not have this as a feature yet.

1 Like

I feel like this is such a great addition that everyone can benefit from.

1 Like