Introducing Rights Manager

To clarify on that - Roblox uses a 3rd party ID verification. That company is specialized in ID verification and they supposedly discard all ID data. Should anyone find a security flaw in the company and somehow make it so that the data isn’t deleted/a copy is made before deletion, then your ID is at risk.

I strongly believe it is safe to ID verify on Roblox, but you are free to make that choice, I definitively understand the skepticism (especially after the Tipalti debacle)

11 Likes

This is interesting, however

• We are in the process of building searching and matching capabilities, and are planning for it to become available in several months.

The lack of context or explanation here is worrying. Is this going to be another automated moderation debacle? Will there be a way to delete old assets? The prospect of false DMCA requests (which are already a concern) and of automated discovery flagging (falsely or otherwise) old or privately uploaded assets both concern me (and clearly many others, given the other comments I’ve seen bringing up similar questions)

7 Likes

This doesn’t work. I emailed them over a year ago and they still haven’t done anything.

6 Likes

This has been long overdue.

However, Is this a human reviewing these claims or AI? I feel like this is gonna lead to a lot of unnecessary back and forth between developers and Roblox’s crappy automated responses.

5 Likes

Try again maybe? I know that on my end, they DO reply to e-mails -or at least they replied when I got a strike- so maybe they forgot to process yours?

4 Likes

No they don’t. I knew someone might bring this up, but there is another discussion here:

improvements to DMCA System
Ability to Archive Clothing Assets

People have been requesting for Classic Clothing Assets to be deleted to the Copyright_Agent@Roblox.com email, we are promised items will be deleted within 30 days.

But Nothing, I repeat NOTHING happens. There is zero evidence that the Copyright Agent at Roblox fulfils any request to delete from the platform any Classic Clothing Asset uploaded by the person who made the request. They simply don’t do anything.

9 Likes

Sure, they’ll reply, but they won’t actually remove the assets.

6 Likes

Whenever you file a copyright strike, you are legally mandated to provide your contact information. This is a standard across other platforms such as YouTube. There is literally no way around this.

5 Likes

This is a decent update, thanks roblox

(also replying to @TheFreeThinker) Mea culpa then, I never used the system but had seen an announcement from Roblox

2 Likes

This really is an issue that must be addressed.
I don’t blame you for not knowing, but I find it very interesting that awareness of this problem isn’t more widespread. From the conversations I’ve had with people in the discussions linked in my previous post and my own experience I’ve concluded that Roblox is lying when they promise they’ll delete the assets linked by the person who uploaded them.

Furthermore I can say the whole thing is a mess.
here’s a link to a reply I made in a discussion about an email I received from the copyright agent.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/improvements-to-dmca-system/2814472/25?u=thefreethinker

1. They couldn’t verify the assets I linked were even assets I uploaded. That makes zero sense.
  2. They link to the old email ip_content_removal_request@roblox.com which, I thought and still think may be true, no longer works and was entirely replaced by Copyright_Agent@Roblox.com.
    Why would the Copyright Agent request that I contact ip_content_removal_request@roblox.com even though, supposedly, Copyright Agent is supposed to be the email that works and fulfils removal requests?
5 Likes

I second you on the lying part. I had heard of that issue before but I thought it was just another of those issues that Roblox had solved with a bunch of flex tape and a “Actual solution coming soon!!”.

Turns out they didn’t even bother buying the flex tape.

As for your e-mail, did you contact them with the linked e-mail? Because if so, my god, this is a new level of incompetence. As for the e-mail thing, I assume Copyright Agent is for DMCA requests and ipcontentremoval is just for creators that want to get it off before it’s too late?

1 Like

Yes.

This should be verified. The last thing that I’ve seen said that ipcontentremoval no longer works and everything is sent to Copyright Agent.
After all, after an email is sent to Copyright Agent, the reply after a few days is along the lines:

“Thank you for sending your request for content removal and we aim to fulfil this request within 30 days, because of this request you should not receive any moderation or strikes as a result of this request. If you do please contact us back…” etc etc etc.

Everything indicates that it should work

1. The email is correct.
  2. The email says they’ll fulfil the request.

They understand the context. The person made a mistake and would like something they uploaded to be deleted off the platform. So why have the ipcontentremoval email? That would just be redundant.

Copyright Agent promises two things:

1. The assets will be deleted within 30 days.
  2. In that time you shouldn’t receive any moderation or strikes.

We know #1 is a lie.
There is a massive fear, among those who have discussed the problem on the Dev Forums, that #2 is also a lie.

1 Like

Remember how, just a few months ago, Roblox had a big issue with false DMCA’s and users getting falsely deleted. Is this really a safe approach? I’d rather right a long email to Roblox (as I have done many times previously), than risk a Roblox botting service getting a hold of that panel…

4 Likes

I was quite excited when I read the title for this thread. The rest was rather a letdown. I was hopeful that I would now have a way to use audio that I purchased rights to use even when the automated system thinks I might be violating copyrights. It’s really disappointing that you can legally purchase rights to use something, have an automated system decide against you, and then have no recourse whatsoever.

3 Likes

If people are going to be able to copy a game. Put the copy of the game as their creation, targeting the original game, and actually manage to trick moderation automation into banning, then gg.

2 Likes

I’ve submitted many through YouTube. But it’s different than giving away photos of yourself and license.

1 Like

Can’t wait for these features to be added in the future! Would definitely like to see a system similar to YouTube.

Additionally, I have a few questions:

• Will there be any changes or improvements to the DMCA counter-notice process in case of false reports? The ID verification is a nice security blanket to deter some bad actors, but I feel like a better counter-notice system is still needed.

• Will there be any changes or improvements to the remediation process to appeal the 3 DMCA strikes prior to permanent account termination?

2 Likes

This is a great step forward, but I can already see this getting abused eventually just like on YouTube.

1 Like

When I don’t ID-verifry, will I get the Wrongs Manager?