When the default RibbonTool’s Select, Scale, Rotate, and Move are used a large performance drop is noticeable in Roblox studio when the cursor is hovering over dense groups of parts. This Studio breaking bug seems to be directly connected to the CanQuery property of Parts. An issue only Roblox engineers can address.
In the clip below you will notice that with the tool selected, there is no performance issue while the cursor is not hovering over the models. However performance drops significantly when the cursor is hovered over dense models.
The usual questions asked by bug report handlers.
- I Uninstalled & Reinstalled Roblox Studio.
- I reset my Studio settings to Default.
- I copied the models in a different game/baseplate (The clip shown). And tested on new models.
- I tried lowering my graphics settings.
- I Disabled future lighting and tested again.
- I tested on a different device.
- I disabled my Plugins.
- I tested my device’s performance.
Cause & Reproduction.
Based on the behavior of the performance drop. I have noticed a direct correlation with the use of CanQuery Property in parts.
TO REPRODUCE: Create a dense model and disable CanQuery on all of its parts.
CanQuery Repo…rbxl (40.9 KB)
If you dont want to download anything:
(19) CanQuery Bug Repo - Roblox
- Select one of the aforementioned RibbonTool’s
- Hover cursor above the front face of RED parts (CanQuery Enabled) You will notice no lag.
- Hover cursor above the front face of the BLUE parts (CanQuery Disabled) You will notice a significant performance drop.
-There are 6 models in each row. Each containing 64 parts.
-Compatibility lighting is enabled.
-CastShadow disabled in parts.
-CanCollide disabled in the parts.
-Anchored is true.
-This is a scaled down version. The effect is multiplied for any large projects or builds.
Not to knock the engineers responsible for creating this feature. But when the parts are all set to CanQuery disabled. The performance is extremely degraded and unmanageable when hovering groups of parts with the cursor.
When all parts have CanQuery Enabled, The issue does not occur.
I hope this information is satisfactory. This issue needs to be addressed as soon as possible. My games using CanQuery disabled are now un-editable in Roblox studio.