Meshparts culling incorrectly on screen edges with Graphics API set to Direct3D11

When graphics mode is set to Direct3D11, or in the case of me and (I assume) most windows-based players, some meshparts are incorrectly culled on the edges of the screen.
(Observe the windows, green panels, and thatch trim)

My guess is that this is a culling issue because when you increase the dimensions of a given object it changes the point at which it is culled. Presumably because enough of that mesh is now entering an important part of the frame.
(Observe the top windows on the right)

There is a solved bug here that describes a very similar issue relating to an object’s CollisionFidelity, however changing the CollisionFidelity has no bearing on this particular problem.

The culling is also invariant to distance, and will happen at the same angles regardless of the camera’s distance from the object.
It also, as far as we can tell, only effects mesh faces that are flat, facing one direction. Editing the mesh to be none-planar or to have extrusions in a different direction also seems to solve the issue.

Lastly, as stated, this only happens when using GraphicsMode Direct3D11 (haven’t tested Metal). On OpenGL and Vulkan there are no issues.

6 Likes

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

Hey, any update on this? It’s a bit of an annoying bug for an update we’ve got coming up.

2 Likes

Yeah, tbh it’s really annoying.

2 Likes