MessagingService Release

Hi Developers,

One of our priorities is providing you with the backend services needed to power bigger and better games. Today we’re proud to announce MessagingService – a way for game servers to communicate with each other in near real-time (< 1 second)!

The service provides two basic APIs:

Some examples of what you can do with this feature:

• Cross server trading with notification regardless of what server they are in
  • Keep a global leaderboard always up-to-date with top scores
  • Enable players to chat with their friends who are in different servers

We are rolling this feature out initially to beta testers (see this thread on how to become a beta tester) before we open it up to all developers. This feature is now available to all developers.

To get started, visit our API documentation. Let us know what you plan to use this for and any other feedback you have!

498 Likes

This will be very useful to us developers, thanks for this! I’m assuming universe scripts are postponed indefinitely?

Edit: ooh, another question! What now? The roadmap hasn’t been updated for a while.

46 Likes

This looks like it will be a fun service to mess around with and see what things you can accomplish!

23 Likes

Wow really cool can’t wait!

16 Likes

Thank you, very much needed!

10 Likes

Amazing! Thank you for the feature though it is as efficient as Okwo!

9 Likes

Let the replies flood in!

Gonna utilize this for sure, and another fantastic feature from the Roblox team

10 Likes

One of the best new services I have seen added recently.

26 Likes

This opens up a whole realm of possibilities! Thank you!

13 Likes

IT IS FINALLY HERE! :smiley:

15 Likes

Just a heads up to devhub readers - we’re aware of the formatting issue on related API doc pages but it’s going to take a day to update the page. In the meantime, these are the rates (subject to change at any time):

(removed)

Edit: Removed limit information from this post, as it was outdated. Please see the page for MessagingService on the DevHub for up-to-date usage limits, such as the number of messages per game server per minute and the number of subscriptions per game.

65 Likes

YAY! Thank you for this!

8 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this feature ever since I saw it on the 2018 roadmap! Thank you all so much for doing this!

12 Likes

Yes yes yes yes yes!!! Thank you so much!!

6 Likes

The possibilities are pretty insane with this release; this is much more than messages. I’m thinking full game shutdowns from one particular server are possible now, or a sort of live event that takes place in all servers. Well worth the wait :grinning:

14 Likes

Can’t wait to use this. I can think of great possibilities already!

9 Likes

Cant wait to use this :grinning:

7 Likes

This seems really fun to mess with! This is awesome!

6 Likes

This is such a great feature, I can already see games implementing this service into their games.

6 Likes

This will undoubtedly be very helpful to me and other developers! thanks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes