[Moved] [$70K USD - $110K USD / yr] Adopt Me is hiring Systems Engineers

This job post has been relocated to our studio website. Find this role and others at: playadopt.me/jobs

DreamCraft is hiring full-time Systems Engineers (multiple roles available).

Location: Remote, work from home (or in-office at Roblox HQ, San Mateo, California, US)
Salary Range: $70,000 - $110,000 USD / yr (paid monthly)

About Adopt Me:
Adopt Me! is the record-breaking #1 concurrent player count game on Roblox (WR: 640,000+ players online at once), delivering a best-in-class social pet adoption experience to our community of over 24 Million monthly active players. Adopt Me features an in-depth housing and avatar editor, a strong trading economy and vibrant social community - plus lots of very cute pets to take care of.

About our games studio:
DreamCraft is the studio behind Adopt Me. At the time of writing our team includes 17 diverse and talented full-time team members working in-office or remotely across the world. We’re looking for candidates who are skilled, experienced, and want to help make Adopt Me and future game projects even bigger and even better.

From a current Team Adopt Me Systems Engineer:

As a Systems Engineer, working here is incredibly fulfilling. We get to build systems never before seen on Roblox that scale to millions of users, with all the challenges that involves. I get to work with some of the smartest, most talented people on Roblox in an environment where I really feel like I have control and autonomy on my projects. I also have a ton of freedom - since joining I’ve visited 5 countries whilst working, and get to plan my work around my life, not the other way around.

SubheaderWhatWeOffer

• A diverse team full of creative, talented people. Learn and share knowledge, do great work whilst making friends and having fun.
  • LGBTQIA+, POC / BAME, neuroatypical and disability friendly working environment. We have a zero tolerance policy for transphobia, sexism, racism and other forms of discrimination.
  • Be a part of a growing independent video game studio with a hugely successful game, a place where talented people are empowered to do their best work in sustainable long term jobs. We want you to be happy and work here for many years!
  • Competitive pay, with company benefits like healthcare coming in 2020. We encourage team members to take time off and take care of their physical and mental health. We try our best to avoid crunch - we want to be a zero burnout studio
  • Opportunities to grow and to lead, to have significant impact on our products and to meaningfully contribute to our direction as a team and a company.
  • “Full-time” roles averaging 40 hours per week - work your own hours from anywhere in the world, fit your work around your life (whilst still doing your best work).
  • Help create or support something that adds genuine value to the lives of millions of real people across the world.
  • The opportunity to build something ambitious, to raise the bar, to break records and be a part of one of the most innovative studios on the Roblox platform.

SubheaderWeWantYouTo

• Be curious, want to improve yourself and others
  • Care deeply about our mission of creating best-in-class game content that kids will remember long into adulthood
  • Take ownership of projects and be willing to lead
  • Empathize deeply with others and believe our games can be vessels for social good

SubheaderTheJob
SYSTEMS ENGINEER - ADOPT ME - FULL-TIME - SAN MATEO, US (OR REMOTE)

Responsibilities

• Build complex systems with beautifully simple APIs that gameplay programmers rely on to create compelling player experiences across DreamCraft titles
  • Implement systems in-game on the Roblox platform and outside of Roblox on scalable cloud infrastructure
  • Help design and implement tools and processes that our engineering team use to more effectively write code and ship features
  • Use techniques like code review, direct feedback and pair programming to mentor others, ensuring the team and our tech is high quality and fit for purpose
  • Present complex features in simple language to team members of varying technical levels, gather feedback and ensure everyone is aligned for when the project ships
  • Ensure your code quality holds up under the stress of millions of players by writing tests, liaising with internal QA resources and monitoring your code after launch
  • Where necessary, expand your knowledge by referencing engineering resources to help ensure our technical decisions make sense and are up to date with current methodology

DesiredShouldHaveTraits

• Past experience engineering large scalable systems or frameworks
  • Deep understanding of the design and implementation of data structures (stacks, queues, graphs, hashmaps, etc) and algorithms (BFS, DFS, Quicksort, etc)
  • Strong grasp of Roblox Lua API
  • Intimate understanding of the internal workings and quirks of developer-facing features in the Roblox engine
  • Familiarity or intuition for standard software design principles, such as Separation of Concerns and Single Responsibility Principle.

BonusWouldBeNiceToHaveTraits

• Experience with containerization and service orchestration such as Docker / Kubernetes
  • Experience building systems that can scale to thousands of requests per second
  • Contributions to open source projects
  • Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience

Compensation

• Pay will be competitive and negotiable. Est. $70,000 - $110,000 USD / yr, based on your experience

SubheaderHowToApply
This job post has been relocated to our studio website. Find this role and others at: playadopt.me/jobs

CurrentOpenings

29 Likes

I’m not applying because i’m a builder. But Healthcare? Wow. Roblox is really growing fast. Congratulations to the Adopt Me team!

9 Likes

Sent in my application, I hope you like my work!

1 Like

It’s really crazy how fast roblox is growing that you are able to pay employees upwards of 100k a year and give healthcare benefits.

This is… just… wow.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity, are you required to know aerogameframework, rojo, oop and etc?

2 Likes

Great question, we think knowledge of object oriented programming is foundational to a comprehensive understanding of software engineering, so we require that.
Rojo is a big plus but isn’t strictly required (especially as it’s pretty easy to pick up).
Aerogameframework isn’t required, but if you include it, it will help demonstrate your experience with tools on the Roblox platform :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m interested in the job, but I am far from meeting the requirements. What would you recommend beyond continuing to build out a portfolio to learn (preferably in order)?

1. Explore new technologies and try and use them in your projects
  2. If you don’t find something fun, don’t try and force yourself to pursue it as a hobby just because it could lead to good job prospects, if you don’t enjoy it now it’s pretty unlikely you’ll enjoy having to do it for the rest of your working life
  3. (If you enjoy it per point 2) get involved in open source communities, you won’t have to build out all of the software on your own and it will give you a feel for what it’s like to have lots of people using your code
4 Likes

Alrighty. I’ll keep those bits in mind. Thank you so much for the advice!

Does this mean Adopt Me will be open source at one point?

Most likely not, he is probably talking about models or plugins once you can get people to pay for them?
(I know plugins can already be sold.)

Seeing your contributions to open source projects helps us evaluate your programming ability and validates to us that you have the experience we’re looking for. It’s not required though if you can demonstrate these in other ways.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.