Next Gen Studio UI Preview is here! [Beta]

Yes we are going to be updating the cards/tiles soon with a lot of community feedback incorporated. We aren’t showing “Friends” because the endpoint we hit to retrieve the listings isn’t providing that. We’ll chase it down!

We are mostly thinking about the ability to pin places to give some control over quick access but totally open to other ideas here. Maybe we could build upon the pinning idea and let you pin to a specific tab and also let you create new tabs?

2 Likes

Yes the team is working on this. It’s taking some time because we are working on a solution that brings Solo/Multiplayer/Team Test control along with pause/debug controls in one place (versus scattered into 3 or 4 places in the current UI).

No ETA yet because it’s a pretty complex task but it is a high priority for us.

This is the mark of a great product manager. We appreciate all you do!

4 Likes

Thanks for the effort ! Will look out for it in the future.

That sounds Perfect - Thanks !! That will help a LOT !

1 Like

they are matching studio UI with (create.roblox.com)

When is the local server test feature coming to this ui. I feel like it shouldve been added when the ui preview got released as its an important part of development. I do like how clean the ui is but i have to keep switching back and fourth as im a programmer and i need to test my scripts with multiple people. maybe its hidden in the menus but i cant find it at all

I agree, I’ve been on studio for over six years and a design change this big makes me feel like I’d have to completely relearn the interface. It doesn’t even feel like Roblox anymore, the old UI had fun colors and seemed inviting unlike the new UI which is really boring and flat. I guess this is yet another example of Roblox losing its charm to appeal to investors.

please add the recent tab back to the new home page

1 Like

We all agree it’s important but we are doing a lot of work here. The primary goal of the Beta is a very early Preview of the general design. We never intended full function matching with the old UI on the first release.

2 Likes

It’s a known issue and not a part of this particular Beta…

NO! There’s too much unused space.
There was nothing wrong with the old UI. Especially the old start screen.

As they explained… the stuff they want to add onto Studio… was either not compatible … or too much work to integrate into the current Studio UI.

Friends and public are the same thing, one just has limited permissions separately. It’s always displayed friends-only games as public, even on the website ever since the CreatorDashboard was added

Those should still be distinguished since a ‘public’ game is not really the same thing as a ‘friends only’ game; they have two different connotations

2 Likes

Everything was wrong with the old UI…

Framework is outdated, it is written in C++ using an open source UI framework from 2012 (Qt5)

Previous engineers did not prioritize forward compatibility, a lot of engineers expressed how hard it is to maintain or add features to the old UI, so let’s focus on the future of Roblox Studio, it will be a lot easier to add new features and later on customize it to your likings than it could ever be with the current framework.

MeshOfPaul made a post in the other thread discussing the new UIs (maybe there is one in this on too) vertical space and that they are working on making it smaller

4 Likes

USE CASE:
Well… so it may be… but for testing purposes on a larger scale than just your DEV’s (that would use in a PRIVATE server)… one would use FRIENDS instead… so it is not accessed by the PUBLIC… which could possibly mess up a Launch or Promotion planned for later on… or from others stealing your idea… before release.

STUDIO PROBLEM:
If you have several Devs working on a project, and one accidently (or on purpose) changes the game into PUBLIC mode… ANYONE in the DEV team will not know on the Web Page if the game is set to Public or Friends… because they ALREADY have permissions to play.

1. WEBSITE Visibility - Can’t distinguish if a games settings is Public or Friends
  2. STUDIO Home Visibility - Can’t distinguish if a games settings is Public or Friends

The ONLY way a DEV will know how a game is saved - is in the PERMISSIONS.
How many Devs will keep checking the Permissions to see if anyone changed it to Public ?

So that was the whole point - since the Column was there on the Studio Homepage already… it should reflect properly as Friends - and NOT as Public.

1 Like

Got MyDockFinder (a thing on steam) and it was cool to see how this new studio ui somewhat works with it.
It doesnt have the other things but still pretty cool .

I really like the current UI, and would prefer to keep using the current one (although this UI still looks like really cool). Will we still have the option to use the current UI even after this is released?

No… you won’t be able to use it any more.
Think of it like Windows XP… had it’s limits… and MS moved on.
Same here. Things they want to add or update… is too troublesome in the old engine.

1 Like