Pausing Physics update causing Characters to Fling in game(s)

I don’t know if its directly related to it but ever since the pausing physics announcement, I have had reports of players in my game getting flung randomly.

There have been some people reporting this issue on the devforum, but no bug report that I could find so I believe this isn’t specific to a game. Here are some references to those.

A private message is associated with this bug report

35 Likes

Yup can vouch, happening in both R6 and R15 games, interesting bug, cant fully replicate it due to its randomness on my end

5 Likes

Can vouch; this started happening in my game yesterday. I ended up using collision groups to disable character collisions and that seemed to fix it.

4 Likes

It seems to be the adaptive physics step feature that is causing this. We set PhysicsSteppingMethod to “Fixed” under workspace properties, and it’s fixed pretty much all flinging issues in my game.

3 Likes

This was has also impacted my game (Project Lazarus: 💀 ZOMBIES 💀 - Roblox).
The first report of players getting flung in my game was on April 12, 4:16am UTC.

Character Model Details

The game uses R6 characters for players and NPC zombies. Player characters have massless parts welded to their humanoid root part. NPC Zombie characters have massless parts welded to their head. NPC characters have a high density humanoid root part (custom physical properties).

This flinging occurs frequently in my game due to the heavy physical interaction between player characters and melee enemy NPC characters.

Character Flinging

Flinging is not very consistently replicable, due to the nature of multiple character models interacting, but occurs frequently.

Flinging would most consistently occur when a group of zombies collides and pushes against a player character, sometimes with enough flinging force to bounce the player around the room. Sometimes with enough force to fling players through walls, out of the map, down into the void, or at such velocities and distance that floating point errors starts to impact rendering of first person weapons.

Flinging can also occur between NPCs when bunched, though usually with less force, usually throwing them out of the crowd.

Flinging between player characters can, but much more rarely occur.

Work-Around Solution

I have been recommended to set Workspace.PhysicsSteppingMethod setting from “Default” to “Fixed”, same as mentioned above.

Since doing so, it seems to have completely resolved the problem.

1 Like

Can confirm! Would be nice to get a fix, as I’ve seen people getting flung so far their character wouldn’t render anymore!

2 Likes

I can vouch; I was livestreaming yesterday and this happened in almost every game I played my viewers with. I thought somebody was exploiting at first.

2 Likes

Been having the same issue with my game aswell

3 Likes

Can also vouch; this issue is still occurring for us. It’s worth mentioning this is happening to other physics parts and not just characters.

We started seeing reports of this issue occurring on the 12th of April despite no changes being published to the game since the 18th of March.

As noted by other posters, setting workspace.PhysicsSteppingMethod to Fixed seems to resolve the issue.

I’ve linked a clip of the kind of behavior we were experiencing in our game Super League Soccer before implementing the above work-around.
https://gyazo.com/4e302f6b3eec2889238215e36e9a3089

2 Likes

Physics Stepping: Fixed
StreamingEnabled: Disabled
Signal Behavior: Immediate
Layered Clothing: Disabled
Dynamic Heads: Disabled
Sometimes being a boomer who doesn’t enable the fancy new junk pays off. Years later and this stuff still causes random quirks all over

This is also affecting animations that have heavy torso movement. Specifically ones tied to Player Movement, sometimes halfway through an animation the Player will stop animating at random if a script is told to stop the animation when movement is detected. This issue never used to occur before the aforementioned update.

(Accidental reply)

3 Likes

I have been receiving multiple reports regarding player randomly get flings into extreme coordinates in my game as well. My game is a R6 shooter that has custom animations involve torso movements. There are also massless parts that are in a different collision group welded to the character’s torso.

The game’s PhysicsSteppingMethod is on “Default”. I will see does changing it to “Fixed” is going to fix this issue.

First Report: 4/12 9:51 AM UTC
Some clips of the bug:

3 Likes

Yup. Been experiencing this too in my own game - especially when a player touches an unanchored part (even when they have network ownership over it.)

1 Like

Also having issue in my game (Obby Creator) where unanchored client sided parts will interact strangely with the world, touching them with your character causes the character to fling.

Doesn’t happen on Studio, on in live servers

Changing to the “Fixed” physics step mode does solve this issue, but I don’t think this is an ideal solution.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

12 Likes

been happening to me as well, happens to me when i touch unanchored parts, really annoying

@Chyzll I wouldn’t recommend setting a acknowledgement post as solution, it starts the topic auto-lock timer and no one will be able to post here after the topic gets locked

5 Likes

Same thing happens in plane crazy when walking into an unanchored object.

can confirm it also happens to me but when going up slopes, though this behavior happens when using the new physics character controller, seems to be something related to character tilting, even though rigidity enabled was set to true on the controllers

This isn’t limited to characters getting flinged either! I’ve observed some plain unanchored parts flinging as well when interacting with characters. This is getting kind of ridiculous, as it has been about a week by now of living in constant fear of being flinged out of reality! (well, maybe its not that serious :sweat_smile:)

Also @Chyzll

1 Like