Weekly Recap: September 23 - 27, 2024

Hi Everyone,

We’re excited to introduce our new weekly recap! This recap will gather all of our announcements and updates from the Developer Forum into one convenient post. By doing so, we hope it’s easier for you to stay up-to-date on the latest news and developments from Roblox.

We will keep information at a high level within these recaps. For more information or to leave feedback, please do so in their official announcements.

Please note: To promote focused discussions on each announcement, we intend to lock these posts and direct conversations to their respective forum threads. However, for the initial recaps, we will keep comments open to gather your feedback on how we can improve the weekly recap. Please share your thoughts and suggestions below.

Thank you.

Betas & Updates

Click to view new Betas or updates to Betas announced this week

[Beta] Improved Constraint Tool

• The improved Constraint Tool utilizes the new dragger framework for grid alignment, snapping, and easy attachment rotations.

[Beta] 3D Import Queue Beta

• An update to the 3D Importer, allowing you to import multiple FBX, OBJ, or gLTF files at once, reducing the time required to import objects to Studio.

[Beta] Open Cloud Engine API for Executing Luau

• Your tools now can seamlessly execute Luau scripts in a Roblox locale, within the Roblox engine itself via Open Cloud.

[Beta] Updates to In-experience Mesh & Image APIs

• Released some important updates to the Studio Beta that address some of the feedback you’ve given us:
    • Split attributes store multiple attributes on a single vertex
    • Drawing APIs now support different blending options
    • NEW ReadPixelsBuffer and WritePixelsBuffer APIs
    • Performance and memory improvements

Updates & Announcements

Click to view new Updates & Announcements from the week

Introducing Improved Genres and New Subgenres

• Rolling out an improved genre taxonomy that will enable more people on Roblox to discover experiences they’re interested in.

Amplify Your Experiences with New Music

• Partnered with DistroKid allowing you to access a library of music to enhance your experiences.
    • Added a section called Known Limitations to the announcement about limitations around audio permissions.

Updating Friends API & Deprecating IsOnline property from GetFriendsAsync

• We are gradually increasing the friends limit to 1,000!
  • There are some Engine API and Friends API changes next month to support the new friends limit. These changes will start to roll out on October 21st.

Refreshed DevForum Rules and Staying Updated

• Updated the official rules to the Roblox Developer Forum.

Improvements to Publishing and Selling in Marketplace

• Creators can now publish Limited bodies and heads on Marketplace. They can also choose to sell their Non-Limited avatar items inside experiences only.
  • Starting in October, we are updating the Recently Created sort to organize new items by their publish date, rather than their creation date.
  • We will soon roll out changes to how bundle scaling is handled to better preserve creators’ intended designs when creating Bodies. This will only affect newly-uploaded Bodies.

Community

Click to view Community

Creator Spotlight: Calilies

• Learn how Calilies has built her digital fashion collection and manages major brand collaborations!
41 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This is a really cool idea, good work. However, I feel like maybe it should go in a new category instead of just announcements, maybe #updates:recaps?

13 Likes

Thanks for your feedback - It’s something we’re definitely exploring!

6 Likes

So every week there is a recap of things Roblox has done for that week? Cool

1 Like

adding on to this - would be cool for creator spotlights to also be in a video form like the level-up series.

1 Like

I’d preder monthly over weekly recaps.

7 Likes

taking @crusherfire’s job, or making it easier, but I do like the recap. Some weeks will likely have more content then others, so maybe a monthly recap would be better. That said, it could be a lot of info at once. I also think it should be a separate sub-category.

1 Like

+ @CSJeverything This was also something my team looked into. We’re still open to that idea (monthly updates) but using the last few months as an example, there were quite a bit of announcements. We echoed the same sentiment that it was a lot of info at once.

That said, we’ll keep that feedback in mind! :smiley:

4 Likes

Unfortunately this is not in our scope at the moment, but we hear your feedback and will continue thinking of multiple formats. Thank you!

1 Like

Can you give me a shout out that would be cool also I prefer weekly over monthly imo

1 Like

Ah nice! Would be cool to see the developer forum X account come back too with the weekly recaps too.

Please, add root motion and size animation :frowning:

Aw heck yeah, lets goooo! Something like this was needed for a while :sunglasses:

When is there gonna be a property to modify the ambient occlusion. :happy1: