Roblox is coming to Meta Quest!

i have been genuienly been waiting to have roblox officialy on meta quest, and now it is. i cant wait to FINALLY play vr supported games wihtout killing my desktop

8 Likes

Great update! I’ll finally be able to use mc pc when my lil brother wants to play Roblox VR, which is convenient.

Ok that’s definitely not true. I’m gonna bet that most of those experiences are starter places.

6 Likes

THANK YOU!! Are there any plans for a sort for VR-enabled games?

8 Likes

Some teams, and individuals on those teams, each have their own ability to communicate with the community. With this announcement, it’s the peps behind VR. They’ve been communicating quite a bit before this announcement, which is awesome to see.

Some don’t communicate enough imo, or seemingly not at all. There could be many reasons behind this, like an NDA or team size. It doesn’t seem to be a requirement to respond to the community, despite ‘respecting the community’ being one of Roblox’s core values. I wouldn’t want to necessarily force responses onto employees, that could make the responses feel in-authentic maybe. Well, we already have the in-authentic problem with the cookie-cutter responses. :person_shrugging:

I can give examples of certain teams at Roblox effectively communicating with the community. Or, it taking years to see responses. Or, seeing no responses at all. (moderation, cough cough.)

Moderation, Communication, and customer service are all issues I can speak on. However, I’m not too knowledgeable on DevEx. I know it’s gotten better, but I don’t doubt more can be done.

~2,500 employees apparently. ‘Trust and Safety’ is the biggest sector as well. This is based on the various interviews David, the CEO of Roblox, had like a month ago. Most interviewers kept asking about VR, I’ll share this one: Roblox CEO David Baszucki on how VR headsets and AI will change the future of gaming - YouTube

I feel like someone has to be asking, it can’t just be ‘nobody’. Even if that someone is the c-level/suite at Roblox. Each case has their own issues. Or, it seems the main issue is that certain teams at Roblox aren’t looking, or can’t, can’t say for sure.

I’m optimistic about Roblox and hope to work there. Either way, I’ll do what I can to change Roblox for the better.

11 Likes

Thank goodness! I have waited for a very prolonged time for this! Wonder what platforms are next? :eyes:

9 Likes

this really makes me wish the only affordable vr headsets on the market weren’t owned by meta of all companies…

oh well, great that roblox is improving vr support considering that it hasn’t been very great in the past (cough cough) .w.

10 Likes

am i correctly assuming that the quest 1 is also supported by this change?

5 Likes

I only see where they specify quest1 is not part of the beta.

So, maybe this implies it will be part of the ‘store’ release?

8 Likes

Yes I think a lot of quest users can dig it out of their closet now and get some use. The tether and airlink/virtual desktop ended up being a deal breaker for me.

Time to dust it off and try again.

8 Likes

Firstly, I apologize for my delayed response.

Secondly, thank you for actually taking the time to write a coherent response. Tangible conversation about this topic is quite rare so thank you.

Do you have anything to back this up?

For a company to have different PR teams for each sub-department is absolutely horrible and extremely unorthodox. Microsoft for example, doesn’t have a PR team for Windows Security, Windows Update, Windows Developers, etc. They have one PR team for the entirety of the department. The reason behind this, is by creating more walls of communication between departments ends up creating a game of telephone.

I know the interview you’re referencing. Even if this was the case, how are SO MANY explicit games and exploits still being allowed to run rampant for weeks on end? This would be the Safety department, no? Ideally it would be Moderation, but then why the hell do you have a Moderation AND a Safety department?

Again, it’s not that I’m saying absolutely no one is asking for this. I’m saying it’s not the majority.

9 Likes

Wait a minute that mean we ca type chat VR possible?

7 Likes

I honestly cannot wait, my computer can barely run Roblox inside of VR (using PCVR)

You can probably see why I am so excited about it.

6 Likes

VR?! One of the best updates I’ve seen!

8 Likes

one thing i will ask for or whatever is… allowing for the disabling of the new 3rd person movement system pls? i am a skilled vr player and it disorients me more than just having the camera follow the player. i know that’s just me, but it’s kind of annoying that there isn’t a way of disabling this :/
well, unless i’m very wrong but that’s a story for another time.

6 Likes

Being concise as I can as to not clog this thread, the information would still be good to know for a passerby.

The Developer Relations team at Roblox are the ‘public relations’, the middlemen. They can connect/refer you to with someone at Roblox. I don’t work at Roblox, so I can’t say anything 100%.

I’m assuming that anyone working at Roblox, if they so wish, have the ability to go on to the forums and respond to someone. Most responses from staff are in the announcement, bug-report, or feature-request category. I think that makes sense though. Roblox might not even ask/require every employee to have an account on the forums. :person_shrugging:

I can’t really answer that. The user-base to employee ratio is a crazy one. There’s many things Roblox has to tackle regarding safety. We don’t know much about moderation at Roblox. I recommend checking out job information on the Roblox Careers page:

Maybe also looking at the Glassdoor reviews as well, not sure how much you can trust them though.

4 Likes

I’m super excited to see what this holds for the future of VR in Roblox!

Coming out to different platforms is great especially for how much it costs, very excited for this!

7 Likes

Been waiting for this ever since I got my Meta Quest 2! Glad I won’t have to get my link cable out in order to play Roblox VR, hopefully this opens a wide spectrum of VR content, and maybe games that already have VR will improve on them once this feature comes out!

6 Likes

This is fantastic. The opportunities will only get larger from here.

4 Likes

I am extremely excited for this new update!

4 Likes

Can we test games using standalone or do we still have to use PCVR? If we have to use PCVR I am speaking for a lot of people here but it would be a shame. Not a lot of people have great handling devices, when I tried to use PCVR, my computer handled poorly and I’m sure for other people as well.

6 Likes