Studio on mac tremendously laggy

Oh idek that! Sorry maybe a NAS is better than.

1 Like

Although this works it’s not a good solution on Roblox ends to have everyone on macos have 2 users on a mac just to use roblox.

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with Macs not being powerful enough (unless we are talking about Macs from nine years ago). It has to do with the fact that Roblox doesn’t optimize their programs very well for newer Macs. Actually, this guy experiences no issues with Roblox Studio on his 2012 MacBook Air. In another post, he says something similar.

The 2012 Retina MacBook Pro came with an SSD too. On the other hand, the 2012 Unibody MacBook Pro didn’t come with an SSD.

Buy a cheap USB hub.

That sounds awful and tedious. Why does Roblox force us to do this if we want decent performance in Roblox Studio?

Exactly! It’s ridiculous! I’m sure Roblox knows that, but they need to provide a proper solution/proper optimization.

1 Like

I have the exact same thing on windows, it’s definitely not a RAM issue as i have 16gb and studio is using just over 1GB

1 Like

I have a feeling there is some kind of memory leak associated with large modulescripts. I have 2 scripts which are very laggy, one a normal script and one a module script. If they have the same parent then I experience very bad lag when opening either script, but do not if they have different parents. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the linter but can’t say for sure

2 Likes

You could very well be right.

2 Likes

My computer doesn’t have com.roblox. What could that mean?

1 Like

studio is unusable on an iMac Pro (10 core Intel Xeon, 32Gb of ram, Vega 56 8GB) so I don’t think it is anything to do with hardware because that should run studio perfectly fine as it did in Catalina I think its a Big Sur/ Roblox studio thing because of the new M1 Chips in the newer macs :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, the issue is with the default color profile. Have you tried changing it?

2 Likes

same color profile as it was in Catalina it’s not that I don’t think

1 Like

No, that’s what’s causing the problem. Change your color profile.

1 Like

Sorry about this, issue has been filed and is being investigated internally.

@Ph4ntomize It would greatly help us if you would provide us with some tech specs, as follows:

Under Apple Menu > About This Mac > System Report :

• Hardware Overview (skipping Serial number, hardware UUID, activation lock status)
  • Hardware > Graphics / Displays - please paste info of every card listed

If by any chance you do not feel comfortable sharing publicly, please feel free to send me the tech specs via DM. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hello other developers that are experiencing this issue currently… Unfortunately I decided to upgrade overnight to Big Sur without investigating any possible issues with ROBLOX Studio. I was very disappointed to sign in today and find I couldn’t code due to the delay in the script editor. I have gone through a couple of threads on the issue and went through several troubleshooting methods to try and resolve this issue.

The only fix I was able to find to resolve this issue was changing my default Display Color from iMac to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Once I did this, I opened Studio and there was no longer a delay. For those that aren’t aware how to change this, open up your System Preferences then navigate to Displays > Color and you’ll see a list of display profiles. If you do not see a list, be sure to uncheck the box beside ‘Show profiles for this display only’ and they should appear. Select the profile mentioned above and you should see an improvement.

Obviously changing the color profile is not a satisfactory resolution, and hopefully ROBLOX will track down the issue with the new macOS and resolve it. If you do not wish to change your color profile but need an easy work around, I suggest dragging the script editor tab away from Studio to a stand alone window. Doing this allowed me to edit code without the delay.

I hope this is able to help someone!

*Edit - It’s worth mentioning that one of the main steps I did while troubleshooting was uninstall ROBLOX completely using CleanMyMac (I subscribed for this feature but have been a customer for over a year, this application is a MUST for Mac users, well worth the money!!). Of course doing this wiped any preferences I had, but this issue was well worth that to try and resolve. If you change the color profile and still have this issue, maybe try this so you can say you took the same steps as me to hopefully resolve the issue?

5 Likes

Mine is also laggy. Some of it might be because it’s from 2010. Glad I’m not the only one who is experiencing it

3 Likes

Not had this until now, it isn’t so much laggy however it has decided to completely stop me from using some basic building functions like rotate or scale, whilst others are still available.

1 Like

There are issues with the iOS version too?

Oh yeah, that definitely explains why. You should probably buy a new computer at this point.

Are you using a Mac that doesn’t have an Intel processor? That might explain why certain functions of Roblox Studio are dysfunctional.

1 Like

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.48.29 am Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 11.48.52 am

3 Likes

In a baseplate, Perform seems to be taking up a lot of time in the microprofiler. I am noticing an average of 45fps while flying around the empty default Studio baseplate.

Studio has only been performing like this since I have updated to Big Sur, which was 2-3 months ago. Previously only the script editor had performance issues, but now I’m not able to get any work done on this computer while using macOS because all of Studio now does as well.

microprofile-20210208-195257.html (1.4 MB)

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.54.23 PM

1 Like

I meant macOS, I just updated the original post. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

Background information: My brother and I use MacBook Pros, I have the 2018 model and he has the 2019 model. I use macOS Mojave (don’t want my computer to look like an iPad now, but probably will update later) while he uses the newer Big Sur. My brother suffered from the description of this post, extreme lag doing anything, 15 second plus typing, and an average of 2-5 minutes to open studio. Interestingly enough, studio also used 3-4 GBs of memory while doing absolutely nothing on the home page.

Note: I fixed the issue while writing this (long-ish) post. For the old post, open the box.

Old Post before fixing the issue

Similar to Usering, he runs Big Sur on a 2019 MacBook Pro. At the moment, I run Mojave on a 2018 MacBook Pro (With studio performance in terms of delay and lag at least about 20 times better than the 2019 MacBook Pro… EDIT: See reply below, and please do not quote me as this may be a slight exaggeration though it has significant delay). While we are both fortunate to have recent computers with good specs, the fact that they perform worse in studio (specifically while typing in the scripting editor) than some older windows computers is quite unfortunate. With regards to what I have tried to improve his situation, here is what I have done:

• Restarted the Computer, Updated to the Latest OS version.
  • Changed color profile to sRGB (as well as a few of the others, Adobe RGB, etc) to no avail.
  • Re-installed Roblox Studio a couple times.
  • With regards to scripting, changing the window position and size of the scripting editor did not help.

I have really tried all the reasonable solutions to this issue. Factory resetting is not an option, and the fact that changing the color profile is even necessary is quite uhm, ridiculous.

I will have to see if I can transition him to Rojo for development.
End of Old Post

Changing the com.roblox.RobloxStudio.plist file fixed the issue for my brother. I can’t say thank you enough, as personally watching his horrendous experience for weeks was quite frustrating. I will be PMing the plist file soon.

Script editing is still something that can be improved, as we both still suffer from the occasional slow scrolling or slow typing (In my case, this can usually be fixed when it occurs time to time by restarting Studio). For those that still suffer, please try moving the .plist file and see if that helps you as much as it helped us.

Final Comment:
Thank you for the help in fixing my brother’s Studio application! In the last few months as well, several issues have been fixed/improved as my mouse no longer frequently freezes while testing in studio and I do not have as bad of typing lag as before. Do note however that these issues still occur for my brother and I, and are still issues for others.

1 Like