The Big Bug Reporting Update

The update we’ve all waited for :tada:

I feel like a “your topic is similar to” feature (based on title/description) would be really helpful.

Especially newer posters aren’t that known with the search features (and I’m guilty myself as well for not searching thoroughly before reporting whoops)

8 Likes

So wait, I dont need to apply for this because I’m a regular?, wordng here’s confusing me a little.

Regardless of that, hopefully, dehooking this from regular hopefully means we get more bugs reported because there’s probably many bugs that have gone unreported because of this. This is probably a great way to slowly bring back in regular promotions again but I’ll let you decide on how to approach that.

6 Likes

On this note, a lot of my catalog bug reports don’t get responded to for anyone and even if they do they stay dead for several months if not up to a whole year without any response on its status or anything. Sometimes even when a catalog bug report gets responded to, sometimes the problem at hand doesn’t even get dealt with at all. I see other bug reporting categorizes have more transparency but the catalog bug report category remains dead most of the time.

10 Likes

All regulars (5558 members) have been added. I guess that makes sense, since we’ve been trusted with this permission ever since.

5 Likes

I deleted my old DevForum account because after about 6 months of participating, I wasn’t able to rank up before rankups were removed. They’ve been gone for, what, almost three years now? So here’s hoping that I might still make it eventually.

(I don’t need to be told period of time has nothing to do with the criteria, I just mean that I was legitimately active during that period, making bug reports, community resources, etc. and it was extremely upsetting that instead of ever being promoted or recognized, promotions were instead completely removed.)

6 Likes

Right! We added all existing Regulars to the group already. Updated the announcement to clarify this point :+1:

6 Likes

free item for us existing regulars for our invaluble service :saluting_face: :pray: :fist:

6 Likes

Okay legit question, what would I say for why I should join?

5 Likes

here, take this neverending supply of appreciation

:heartpulse:
:open_hands:

26 Likes

Exciting! I have some bug reports pending that’s been awhile now and I’m just not motivated to put them out because it takes sooo long and it’s very very tedious process. I’ve applied, and I can’t wait to process some more bug reports, so hopefully, we can have a bug-free platform!!

6 Likes

Finally. A solid way to report bugs again. Beautiful!

5 Likes

Can’t wait for feature requests to open! I have a few QoL features for studio that I’ve been itching to share for the last year or so.

What will be the future for Forum Bugs/Features, though? Will they stay open indefinitely, or will they also get locked behind a group?

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting years for this. Finally.

6 Likes

Probably just my paranoia, but I’m hoping this doesn’t mean the migration away from Discourse. With how the Talent Hub went, an in-house forum software would probably be awful and I (and probably at least 70% of everybody else given how the talent hub went) would 1000% leave :sob:

5 Likes

Waweee… A nice feature roblox with this bug potter will be with being contacted over the problem of a particular bug

6 Likes

Yes, goal is to use groups for access instead of trust levels. As you indicated that means we’re going to move away from this weird distinction between “Member” and “Regular” where regulars aren’t actually “regulars”, they don’t really get that trust level by “regularly” using the forum, so it didn’t make much sense. Just reiterating there will be a separate announcement for that.

9 Likes

I’m going to follow up internally and let you know, thanks for raising that.

It should be noted that “response” does not necessarily mean resolution, as resolving a bug can take an extended amount of time for various reasons: (not limited to but including)

1. it might take a significant investment to fix a particular bug compared to the value that fixing it creates, so that’s why it’s not prioritized;
  2. maybe other projects are taking priority over fixing a low-priority bug because the former brings more value to users;
  3. it’s possible that the team has plans to revamp a feature/system that would automatically fix the bug at a later point.
  4. it could be that the issue is not considered a bug from our point of view and is instead the intended behavior;

That being said, the goal is that you should always have an idea of where your bug report is in this funnel, if it’s being worked on or roughly why it is delayed or rejected. We want to be transparent about this and also give you a chance to discuss with us about the reason for a delay or decision not to address a bug at the moment. So thanks for bringing this up again and will get back to you.

9 Likes

You don’t need to say anything but feel free to drop a fun message for Kero to read! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

We kept the categories separate in the past so that if the bug report wizard ever breaks, there’s still a way to send us messages through those categories. This allowed us to notice a few issues about the bug report wizard in the past where certain users couldn’t report bugs for a while (like here recently).

Additionally since the team working on the bug report workflow itself and the team working on devforum are naturally more active on the forum, it was feasible for us to have those categories open to all, also they saw a lower volume because it was a bit harder to find than #bug-reports.

We have a few projects left earlier in the year to refine the bug reporting workflow further and add more alerting and other safeguards against breakage, and once those are finished, we can likely transition away from those categories and fold them back into the wizard. Thanks for your question on this!

6 Likes

There are no plans to move away from Discourse currently.

6 Likes