[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

also not to mention even if you got a license roblox’s customer support is so bottom barrel they wouldn’t even reply to you LOL

they don’t even need to pay for licenses. If you look a bit up in the thread - someone did point out that you can’t be sued for user-generated copyrighted content (granted - they still need to moderate these assets on your platform).
They speculate that it was just easier and cheaper for ROBLOX to remove audios altogether than to battle it out in court.

1 Like

A lot of older Roblox games with music that have not been updated feel very bland without at least some music playing in the background, What if the copyright replacement songs were brought back where those themes replace the audio automatically if the audio being used has gone private due to the privacy update?

1 Like

I’m no businessperson or lawyer, but couldn’t one good way to approach public audio be to allow importing of audio from a third party website that provides licensing information, such as Newgrounds? Here are the benfits I can think of:

• That website becomes responsible for management of copyright, rather than Roblox (so long as Roblox works with the site to follow TOS and any other conditions)

• If a popular website is chosen, like Spotify or Newgrounds, then there would more direct contact with artists for collaboration

• Some of these websites have download buttons for audio, which are convenient for anyone browsing audio

• For Newgrounds in specific, there’s age ratings for audio. Newgrounds has a specific checkbox on their website for allowing external APIs to use music from their website due to work with Geometry Dash in the past

• In terms of business relations, its a business partner linked to the world of music production

• This still probably wouldn’t be complete protection but it would push some of the responsibility on to another organization

It would make the most sense to me if for this process an audio had to be imported with an import button by a Roblox user, and in the upload process some API goes to the third party website and checks what the site has recorded as copyright terms for the audio. If the audio is determined to not be allowed per copyright terms during this check, then Roblox could then check a database of audio uploads and games specifically permitted to use audio by the audio’s creator. To add audio to this database, the original uploader of the audio to the site would need to send Roblox a legally-binding form that could hold up in court that says basically, “hey, I made this song and give you permission to use this specific song of mine”.

This would basically be almost the same as how at least in my understanding Geometry Dash handles music. Here’s a video I watched on how Geometry Dash handles audio copyright since their approach has a few more steps: video

disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and for all I know this advice could be terrible

9 Likes

i second this i need mw KPOP SONGS :pray: i hope roblox sees this

5 Likes

Maybe a good sign? (even if I don’t believe it)

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s anything too special. Maybe it’s some sort of moderation testing.

3 Likes

Semms like beta Audio API is live.

But there’s no sign of short audio publishing as was mentioned here:

And also, there’s no sign of public audios at general.

I think publishing idea ended up into graveyard.

1 Like

When they said that this will come back in 2024, they meant December 31st at 11:59 PM

1 Like

I guess… there might be light in the dark tunnel…

According to this youtuber (More specifically: @ RealFunkyWorm on twitter) there is new stuff in API.

In nutshell:

• Publishing will require ID and age verification.
  • There will be agreement, that you own audio when you publish it.

Twitter post

1 Like

Hey, we’re starting to get back to normal!

If you’re 13+, ID verified, and your audio asset is less than 10 seconds and does not contain music or speech, you can now set it back to public!
If it still says “check back later” that means it doesn’t qualify right now. I wish it could become available for all audio lengths and all users eventually but at this point this is much better than nothing.

6 Likes

Thank you @GazilionGrandGadgets for the re-share. More is in the works and we will continue to unlock new capabilities.

4 Likes

Thank You for staff members that worked on short audio feature, to make it available for creators.

There was slight issue, that You mentioned in new post about short audios, that some audios may not be eligble to publish due to verification processes.

But I figured out how to deal with it.

Anyways, good luck with making availability to publish longer audios for Us, creators.

7 Likes

I don’t know what yall guys should have done with the copyright audios, but personally i wouldn’t make all audios private. Since (i think) there’s even more bypassed noncopyright/copyright music after the whole update.

4 Likes

bump so this topic does not close. do NOT silence yourself

6 Likes

Gonna bump this, have a good day y’all.

2 Likes

urgh id rather roblox get sued again than give roblox my stuff

When will we even be able to even make audios public again? I know this update is beyond due and I need to know.

1 Like

They recently released it sort of…unless you’re talking about the ability for all users to publish audio regardless of length or whether its music, we are still waiting for that.

Right now ID verified users can publish audio if…

• it was uploaded recently
  • it’s less than 10 seconds, and
  • qualifies as SFX
1 Like

Yeah, I am talking about the ability to publish.

1 Like