Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

• Is it possible to have the parity between terrain and parts be optional?

With how it currently works, if you override a material it overrides both the part material and terrain material. It would be nice to have the ability to choose what to override, either overriding the terrain material, part material, or both.

• Will perfectly matched parity of the legacy materials be eventually introduced?

With how it currently works you cannot set parts to have legacy terrain materials or set terrain to use legacy part materials. Its currently only limited to 2022 materials, if you wanted to use legacy pavement terrain material alongside the pavement part material it is not possible, legacy pavement terrain material doesn’t exist as a part material. It is also not possible to use for example legacy sand terrain material alongside legacy part sand material they are two different textures. It would be preferred if both legacy part materials and legacy terrain materials are preserved.

• Is it also possible to introduce both Legacy terrain/part and 2022 Materials into the Material Manager as a way to use both simultaneously?

Currently, when you toggle 2022 materials it just switches out with Legacy materials. The new 2022 materials are amazing but not all fit in with what you want to achieve. If you wanted to use the 2022 foil material in one place and the legacy foil material in another it isn’t possible.

Though this isn’t a required upgrade it’s disappointing that 2022 materials aren’t being introduced as additional variants of legacy materials but rather still replacements. You’re forced to choose between either having 2022 materials or Legacy materials. You have no freedom to use 2022 materials simultaneously side by side with legacy materials.

2 Likes

I can’t stress how much I agree with this,

The dropdown was very useful and it is so much more tedious to have to go into properties and select what material you want to make it, I’ve also noticed they have updated the color change tool and I cannot say I like it, the convenient dropdown menus for color change and material change were so much more user friendly and simple. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Personally like the new one, and i doubt they’ll ever revert it back. You’ll have to deal with it cause they worked hard for it and they aren’t just gonna change it back cause you liked it

1 Like

You can change the material for this specific part only. (Or group of parts)

Simply create a MaterialVariant into MaterialService, and then go on the part, and change the MaterialVariant property !

Yes, you can apply MaterialVariants to a specific part, that’s what makes this new MaterialService is so powerful !

2 Likes

With respect to widget size complaints, please see here:

Would be great for the above to be an accessibility standard in all built in studio tools.

2 Likes

lucky guy to be regular XD, i tried to make a post in studio features but couldnt :frowning:

1 Like

Don’t know if anyone mentioned this but it is a small oddity I’ve found:

When you press the plus icon, the image of the material changes in terms of orientation or UV position? Don’t know how to describe it. You can keep repeating it by clicking off the material and clicking back onto it, then clicking the plus symbol again.

It will also happen if you just spam click back and forth on it again and again. No need to click the plus icon for it to happen.

Happens for all materials
Doesn’t really impact anything, just wanted to note about it :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I believe we should have some sort of “overlay” for the material as well, similar to how pre-made materials behave, for example the Corroded metal and the Leafy Grass

As shown in this picture is how my custom Corroded metal material looks like on a while part, compared to the other 2, which are pre-made.

In this second picture, everything is greened out.

Before the latest change on this update, the more alpha a pixel had, the more powerful it’s color was, however, it was still a pain to work with.

In my opinion, we should be able to add some overlay somewhere in these settings so materials like corroded metal or leafy grass can be re-made as well, for people who intend in changing them.

And for the 2022 Materials, these suffer from the same problem as well.

So I believe, it would be awesome if something will be done about this.
Overall, this update is so good and I can’t wait to work with the finished version and be able to see the updates not just in studio, but the player as well.

8 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think that the 2022 CorrodedMetal’s corrosion colour change is a huge issue. The fact that there was no way to change the corrosion colour on the pre-2022 CorrodedMetal texture always bothered me, because there are metals such a copper which don’t turn brown when they corrode. I think this is a good change for 2 reasons:

• The contrast on CorrodedMetal is no longer as great as before, making it more visually appealing
  • CorrodedMetal looks more different when recoloured. as recolouring pre-2022 CorrodedMetal hardly change the look of it.
    Same goes for the other 2022 textures.

However, I do agree with you that alpha overlay should be added.

4 Likes

Here’s some feedback regarding the textures:
I noticed that the 2022 Brick texture is aligned seamlessly, which is awesome! However this does not apply to the Pavement texture, as shown in the picture. I would like to see the Pavement texture being slightly scaled so that there is no longer a noticeable seam between 2 parts with the pavement texture.

9 Likes

I have a build that the new ice texture is almost-perfect for. Unfortunately…

The tiling is really obvious, especially on the handful of more blank spaces. (stairs at the bottom are 2, 1, 20 size for scale, it’s a large/grand build so the open space doesn’t stand out)
Similar issue with a few other textures like Cobblestone, CorrodedMetal, CrackedLava and Marble, which is a shame because I’d love to use them in builds but they really just don’t look good on any part that’s even slightly large.

4 Likes

My custom “Grass2” material is glitching out, confusing itself with other materials:

The issue fixes itself when I disable Organic tiling. It seems like Organic tiling has a big rendering issue on parts.

4 Likes

The realism in this is insane… I am honestly lost for words.

1 Like

Having the same issue as well.

Seems that tonight’s update has broken custom textures completely. What was my own custom brick texture became the standard wood texture and has now become a slate texture for no reason. My grass was metal and now doesn’t even show a texture. Couple of other textures were also broken.

My textures used to always be broken for the first time I launched after an update but even after relaunching Studio, they’re still broken which is a real shame.

Hope they fix this asap as all my games work off these same textures, and it’s really irritating not having the textures working as I can’t see what needs a different texture and whatnot. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

You can make new materials yes, but i do not see how you can use the new materials in the terrain material selection tab under brushes. I only see the option to use one set new material, and only one only per terrain texture.

TL:DR, new terrain materials instead of having to replace terrain textures plz

They use completely different shaders. It’s not possible within reason.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if inserting a new part would not default it’s material to plastic? Since you updated the materials tab to the manager thing, it no longer auto-applies the previous material to newly inserted parts. This is kind of a pain, and I hope that you guys improve that at some point in the future.

And again, for simply changing the material of a part or model, its unnecessarily complex, and the dropdown worked a LOT better. Not to mention materials like neon, glass, and forcefield don’t even appear on the material manager, and will only show up on the dropdown in the part properties menu.

1 Like

Still though, you should do that without a plugin. What about games that dont care that much about tiling? It’s not fun.

2 Likes

seems to only be organic materials that are broken. switching it to a regular pattern works for now

2 Likes

I had all my materials set to organic so that’ll explain it haha. Turned all the textures back to regular and they all work fine now. Cheers. :+1: