Avatar Auto Setup [Beta Release]

Hi Creators,

Last month, we launched Avatar Auto Setup, which makes creation easier by automatically rigging, caging, segmenting, and skinning your 3D models with the click of a button. Using the power of AI, setting up an avatar can now take just a few minutes, eliminating hours of manual work.

Starting today, Avatar Auto Setup is in open beta and includes the ability to publish your avatars to the Marketplace.

Since opening up Marketplace to more creators last month, creators who are ID-verified, have Robux Premium, and consistently follow our Community Standards and Marketplace Policies can upload, publish, and sell in Marketplace. You can learn more about the requirements to upload here.

Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback after our alpha release last month. Please continue to leave comments on this post so we can keep improving.

Check out our original post for more information on getting started with Avatar Auto Setup and which avatars work best with the tool.

FAQs/Known issues

Click here to view the FAQ!

Why is my imported mesh rejected?

• Your avatar may be rejected for several reasons. First, make sure your avatar has modesty layers and follows our policies.
  • If you wish to submit an appeal, please do so here. We will work to resolve your issue as quickly as possible.

How is Roblox training the AI model for Avatar Auto Setup?

• Our auto setup model is currently trained on Roblox-created avatars – not community data. In the future, creators will be able to include their creations in our training datasets to help us improve our Avatar Auto Setup AI models, but not at this time.

Why doesn’t my avatar look the way I wanted it to?

• Sometimes, Avatar Auto Setup produces artifacts in the geometry of the avatar that are not intended. This is a beta release, so the tool is still improving. Please report this in our beta feedback form so we can address any issues you experience.

Can I toggle off parts of Auto Setup (i.e. turn off rigging so I can do it manually instead)?

• For the beta, Avatar Auto Setup won’t have an option to toggle off parts of the tools. For the full launch, we are exploring allowing the tool to reuse user inputs and only compute what is missing to complete the avatar setup. Please leave additional comments if you have more feature suggestions.

How does this compare to other tools like automatic bone weights in Blender, where you’re actually able to make further changes if needed?

• Generally, the initial outcome with Avatar Auto Setup is better than Blender/Maya with default. Those applications do offer the ability to edit, which we don’t yet. We’re looking into potentially adding additional functionality, so please let us know your suggestions in the comments.

When this is fully released, will we lose the ability to create bundles/avatars manually?

• No, you will still be able to set up avatars manually at full release.

Next Steps

We’re constantly working to improve this tool— please provide your thoughts in the comments so we can improve Avatar Auto Setup and add any additional tooling needed.

Happy creating!

125 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Awesome update! :star:

The Avatar Auto Setup feature sounds like pretty useful for avatar creation. I’m pretty excited to use it.
Also, glad to hear about the expanded opportunities in the Marketplace. The criteria for upload eligibility is pretty good for developers. Looking forward to this!

Thanks for the update. :ocean:

17 Likes

Sounds amazing. I work with avatars all the time, for uniforms, and rigs. Thank you.

12 Likes

Cool! I wouldn’t have a point to really use this right now, but it could become useful in the future. Thank you Roblox!

6 Likes

Pretty cool Roblox!! But pls don’t forgot us the Mac Users that don’t have any ways to use FPS unlockers… Don’t forgot the FPS unlocker that you promised us.

8 Likes

Fire update! :fire:

Even though I don’t make UGC accessories or items, I can see the rate of development getting increased even more! Many people stop halfway since they can’t properly rig the character and most of the time it stops the development of the accessory. With this I can see all the hard work finally coming to an end!

Thanks Roblox for another great update streak! :mechanical_arm:

11 Likes

good update roblawx

9 Likes

tried this out myself, absolutely incredible how this tech works!

as a bundle creator, i’d imagine this would be a popular use case for most developers who are familiar with the workflow but would rather have some aspects automated (specifically cage creation).

10 Likes

Hopefully the premium barrier gets removed so everyone who id ID verified can upload assets to the public marketplace! Other than that this is an amazing update!

5 Likes

yes the premium barrier NEEDS to be removed… certainly considering how much it really costs to upload. They charge you robux 3 times when you upload a ugc/avatar item.

I bought my friend premium so he could upload since hes verified… then it cost 750 robux to just upload the item.
cost another 5000 for the limiteds quantity, then they asked for another 1000 robux as some safety fee saying they wont take 30% until the 1000 is made back. then we sold a copy for 60 robux and only got 18 robux (they took 70%)

9 Likes

Nice! I’'m sure this is gonna be super useful.

5 Likes

I agree, the barriers currently are kind of ridiculous.

If your items don’t sell well then it costs more money to upload something than it might end up making, which would be a net negative for creators who aren’t very well-known or popular.

5 Likes

I would like to provide some feedback on this fantastic feature. Despite being in beta, this feature performed exceptionally well on the unique model I created for testing. The main issue I encountered is that classic accessories are sometimes found in unexpected locations and seem smaller than usual for reasons unknown. It would be incredibly useful if we had the ability to adjust the placement and sizes of attachments after the “Avatar Auto Setup” process inside the Roblox Studio. Thank you for considering this suggestion!
Снимок экрана 2024-05-09 133251

6 Likes

I don’t know if this is already a feature, but if not, it would be really convenient if there could be an option to rig fingers. It’s would be nice, especially for FPS devs, since it looks odd shooting or reloading a gun when you can’t grip anything without fingers.

1 Like

best ugc update yet it will be really handy for my roblox bundles! so i dont have to do caging or rigging or doing attachments anymore just have to make a model chopped up and boom

2 Likes

I like it, but it needs improvement. Here are my suggestions:

• Each character is uploaded to Roblox as a model. It is impossible to delete models. Need the upload to ROBLOX option turned off.

• Need be able to make a static head (classic head). Some characters don’t need a dynamic head, and if you force a dynamic head, the head will look weird. Static head feature should come. (I know that the catalog does not support static heads, this feature is very useful not only for the catalog but also for making in-game NPCs.)

• 2d clothing should be supported so I need make my character compatible with 2d clothing.

• I experienced this problem too. Avatar Auto Setup [Beta Release] - #16 by Devlalal

5 Likes

well i cant even use it i installed it using beta features in studio and nothing i searched everywhere also in the thing where it is supposed to be i have a full character set up with _geo parts all correctly named to i have bones to but i turned off i tried with and without and i just cant find it how to do it

In order for this feature to work, you only need one mesh representing the full character body, named “_Geo”. The “Avatar Auto Setup” tool will automatically separate your character into its individual parts. I hope this will help you.

2 Likes

ooh so you dont have to do it yourself