Opening up Marketplace to More Creators

Hi Creators,

Today, millions of people visit Marketplace every day to discover unique items and personalize their avatars on Roblox. Nearly everything they discover is made by our global community of creators who publish items to help people express themselves. The vision we shared today shows how we are going to continue to make Marketplace even better and more vibrant for buyers and sellers alike.

A key part of our vision to make Marketplace more accessible, personal, and vibrant is expanding who can create and sell items in Marketplace. That’s why we’re excited to announce that, starting later today, we are rolling out the ability to publish 3D avatar items to more people.

New avatars and items are added to Marketplace every day. Until now, the ability to create and sell 3D items on Roblox was by application only. Over the last year, we’ve seen a growing increase in interest to create and sell avatar items in Marketplace from 3D artists and developers of experiences. In that time, we’ve also enhanced our policies and enforcement capabilities to ensure the community stays safe, civil, and vibrant as it grows. Allowing more people to create and sell items on Roblox will give our community more ways to express themselves and give creators more ways to earn and grow their businesses.

Read our docs or check out our videos below to start creating on Roblox.

Who is Eligible?

We are moving from an application-only process to providing transparent eligibility requirements for creating and selling 3D items on Roblox.

Now, creators who are ID-verified, have Roblox Premium 1000 or 2200, and consistently follow our Community Standards and Marketplace Policies can upload, publish, and sell in Marketplace. These eligibility requirements allow us to more effectively enforce our Marketplace policies and prevent violators from circumventing moderation.

You can learn more about the requirements to upload and publish as an individual or a group here.

Making Creation Easier

Over the years our publishing interface has gained features but also grown more complex. Based on feedback, we’ve improved the publishing workflow, making it easier to navigate item attributes and reducing the chance of making a mistake when publishing to Marketplace.

We’re also rolling out new features that make it easier to create, including:

• Automatically rig, cage, segment, and skin your 3D models in a few minutes, eliminating hours of manual work through the power of AI. We are testing this product now and plan to roll it out to everyone in the near future.

Texture Generator

• Create custom textures for your meshes using natural language prompts. With Texture Generator, you can rapidly prototype and experiment with new looks for your experience and accelerate creation.

These improvements are meant to help all creators, regardless of their skill level, new and existing creators alike.

AutoSetupGIF_Compressed

Our new Avatar Auto Setup tool quickly converts 3D models into avatars.
(Rendering shown for illustrative purposes only. Actual features and other visual depictions may vary and are subject to change at any time.)

Promoting a Safe and Vibrant Marketplace

Protecting our community is about creating tools and policies that foster a safe, civil, and vibrant Marketplace for all.

Raising the Bar on Publishing

Over the past year, we’ve seen a 3x increase in the volume of avatar items created on Roblox. When the volume of items rapidly increases, it can make it harder for creators to have their items discovered and sold in Marketplace. With creation opening up, we are making changes to how people publish items and are introducing a publishing advance, a rebateable upfront fee that you pay at the time of publishing an item. Instead of Roblox taking the platform commission, the commission will go towards rebating the platform advance to the creator until it’s fully paid back. This advance is meant to raise the bar of what is created in Marketplace and incentivize original and unique creations.

Protecting Creations

We are dedicated to improving and adding more products, features, and policies to help you protect your own creations and the items you own.

Community-Created Items

We recently launched Rights Manager, a new destination for managing intellectual property (IP) infringement removal requests, to give creators more tools to protect their rights when it comes to IP. Roblox investigates each removal request and takes appropriate action, which may include removing or disabling the infringing content, and in appropriate circumstances, permanently suspending the accounts of users who have repeatedly infringed on the IP of others. This is just the first step. We will continue to expand our capabilities and give the community more tools to detect and action on infringing IP.

You can request access to Rights Manager here.

Roblox-Created Items

We know that there is a lot of passion for certain avatar items created by Roblox. While we appreciate this passion, we want to remind the community that creating duplicates of avatar items already in the Marketplace, including assets that use our meshes or textures, violates our Spam policy.

Our Policies

Creators must consistently follow our policies to participate in our economy. Our Community Standards prohibit many forms of inappropriate content, IP infringement, spam uploads, and misuse of Roblox systems, all of which extend to publishing on Marketplace. These policies exist to protect our community from harm and have already gone a long way toward that mission. Creators who do not follow our policies may have their items removed, sales reversed, their ability to create suspended or revoked and/or their account suspended.

Miscategoriziation Policy

Our Community Standards and Marketplace Policies include policies that are meant to prevent economic harm to creators and our Marketplace. An example is miscategorization of avatar items in order to sell items at a lower price than the proper price floor. Items that are published in an egregiously wrong category (e.g., a collared button-up shirt in the Shorts category) will be taken down and may result in creation access being suspended and/or revoked.

Videos to help you get started

Additional Resources

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Happy creating!

FAQs

Click here to view the FAQ!

What do I need to do to be eligible to sell in Marketplace?

• Creators who are ID-verified, have Roblox Premium 1000 or 2200, and consistently follow our Community Standards and Marketplace Policies will be able to upload, publish, and sell in Marketplace. These eligibility requirements allow us to more effectively enforce our Marketplace policies and prevent violators from circumventing moderation. You can learn more about the requirements to upload and publish as an individual or a group here.

Roblox also requires a publishing advance for all items published on Marketplace, with the exception of free Limited items. A publishing advance is a rebatable upfront fee that you pay at the time of publishing an item.

Why is Roblox providing more transparent eligibility requirements to create and sell?

• By providing more transparent eligibility requirements, we are making it possible for a larger and more diverse community of creators to publish items and grow their businesses on Roblox.

Can I publish as part of a group and as an individual?

• Yes! Creators can publish as part of a group and as an individual. You can read more about the requirements to publish as a group and as an individual here.

What types of items can I create?

• Creators can create 3D avatar items which include clothing, accessories, bodies, and heads. Creators can choose to make items that are non-Limited (unlimited quantity) or Limited (3D items with a fixed quantity).

Why does Roblox have a publishing advance?

• When the number of items in a single category goes up faster than community interest in that category, it can make it harder for people to discover unique items and for creators to earn. We are introducing a Publishing Advance to raise the bar on selling in Marketplace with a goal of incentivizing more original and unique creations. You can learn more about the Publishing Advance here.

Will the publishing advance ever change?

• Yes. As our market evolves, we will reevaluate our publishing advance from time to time. We expect this advance to change 2 - 3 times per quarter at most.

Is there a cap on the number of items we can upload and publish?

• There is no cap on the number of 3D accessories, clothing, bodies, or heads that you can upload from Studio. Once your items are uploaded, you can publish any number of non-Limited items and only 1 Limited item per day.

Why is Premium a requirement?

• We care about creating a marketplace with items that people love and where creativity is protected. We also care about ensuring Marketplace remains a safe and civil space for all. Requiring that creators have Premium and be ID verified brings more accountability to the ecosystem and motivates creators who want to sell in Marketplace to publish items they believe will sell.

Will the price floors ever change?

• Yes. Our new system can help support smarter pricing to better reflect market conditions by automatically setting the lowest price in an item category based on demand. We also give creators controls that let them set rules for how much to charge for their items relative to these dynamic prices. We’re confident this will help make sure creators can earn while giving consumers more access to items at fair market prices.

Can creators still make free items? How much does it cost to publish free items?

• Yes, creators can make free Limited items only and these will be charged for each unit created (per-unit fee). As of today, the per-unit fee for free Limited items is 100 Robux. These per-unit fees will continue to be dynamic and can be changed in the future.

How much can I earn from selling my items in Marketplace?

• Creators will earn at least 30% of the gross of any item sales. The remainder is shared between the platform and, if your item is sold in an experience, the developer who created that experience (who could be you). You can learn about earnings from creating, selling, and reselling avatar items here.

Does this mean you are sunsetting the UGC Program?

• Yes, we will be sunsetting the legacy application process to join the UGC Program. Creators who were part of the UGC Program who consistently meet our eligibility requirements mentioned above can continue to create, publish, and sell items in Marketplace.

How does Roblox ensure creators are following the Community Standards and Marketplace policies?

• We recently revamped our enforcement and now may revoke access to creation temporarily or permanently for creators who violate our policies. Our changes included requiring ID verification to sell in Marketplace, which helps us prevent people from easily making an alternative account to rejoin the program and circumvent moderation.

How can I protect my intellectual property (IP)?

• IP owners are the ones best positioned to tell us what they believe infringes on their rights. We recently announced a new tool to help rights holders manage their intellectual property, Rights Manager. Rights Manager is a new destination for managing IP infringement removal requests. You can use Rights Manager to report experiences, avatar items, and assets such as models, audio, and images that infringe on your IP.

Roblox investigates each report and takes appropriate action, which may include removing or disabling the infringing content, and, in appropriate circumstances, permanently terminating the accounts of users who have repeatedly infringed on the IP of others.

One of my items was taken down. How do I appeal?

• All moderation decisions can be appealed via our appeals page.

What’s the difference between a DSA request and a DMCA request? What happens after I file that request?

• We provide several distinct channels to report potentially violating content found in our Marketplace. These channels have different use cases and we ask the person making the report to choose the one that best suits the situation. After you submit your report or request to the correct channel, it will be reviewed and investigated, and appropriate action will be applied should the content prove violative of the laws or guidelines that the channel monitors for.

DSA: If you are located in the European Union (EU) who would like to report content that they believe violates the law of EU member states, you can use our Illegal Content Reporting Form. This process is available as part of Roblox’s recent updates in response to the European Union’s Digital Services Act (DSA) and should only be used by EU residents to report content that is believed to be in violation of EU and Member States law.

DMCA: If you believe that your own intellectual property rights have been infringed or violated by user-created accessories, clothing, bodies, or heads, you may submit a DMCA request via the Rights Manager. Rights Manager handles infringement of any copyrights you either own or are authorized to report on behalf of. If you are not the rights holder or authorized representative, your request will not be processed.

For 3D accessories, clothing, bodies, or heads that may violate Roblox’s Community Standards, please use the Report Abuse feature available on an item’s catalog page or submit a report via www.roblox.com/support.

281 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

finally!

Let’s see just how chaotic this is going to be!

Whelp, I guess public UGC is not something for me

103 Likes

It’s interesting to hear about the updates to the Roblox Marketplace and with the requirements you’d need to be able to be eligible, but I hope Roblox can implement stronger moderation measures to prevent the creation of fake UGC limiteds and the theft of intellectual property.

(Not to mention there are still fake ugc’s being uploaded daily)

Update: I guess I was wrong… so many fake ugcs are being uploaded, even a few users that uploaded 1:1’s of my UGC, at least DMCA requests get reaponded quicker.

68 Likes

While this is awesome, it’s just going to cause a lot of more problems to the catalog.

99 Likes

Let the wildfire begin!
Let’s see the chaos arise

61 Likes

May the imagination power roblox for a thousand years

20 Likes

Pretty interesting update, i wonder how it will go.

have they dealt with limited knockoffs? if not, then this will be a disaster.

33 Likes

I can’t wait to see the DMCA jumpscare announcement in a few months

66 Likes

Im sure this is going to be just lovely.

16 Likes

am I reading this number right :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_peeking_eye:

55 Likes

I love how you guys open it up to the public even though theres many issues and features missing such as

• being able to change thumbnails for existing items
  • custom thumbnails for LAYERED CLOTHING has NOT been added after years of release
  • shoes cannot be uploaded at this given time in its proper “shoe” category

This is also excluding the plethora of limited knock offs that don’t get removed unless some person is lucky enough to be in europe can report those knock offs if they so please

I also created a devforum post for suggestions to change regarding this

47 Likes

Hey guys, I’m really excited about UGC finally going public for everyone! Check out this awesome 3D accessory I modelled in Blender a few months ago. I’m so excited to publish this and have people wear my 3D accessories! Thank you for this opportunity Roblox.:heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

72 Likes

Can’t wait to see the number of Dominus and Valkyrie copies skyrocket after this!

44 Likes

I think the ID verification alone is gonna discourage the majority of spam creators, since alts get a lot harder to create even without the fees on top of it.

13 Likes

You can make custom thumbnails for layered clothing lol. I do it all the time

9 Likes

pass me the wendy’s job application, maybe i’ll get lucky enough with how the job market is

22 Likes

I hope with this update that there will be possible ways for creators to take down content that violates there copyright, there was already so many things on the marketplace that were basically clones of each other it was insane.

5 Likes

oh well, let’s just see what the future holds :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This Update is good and bad at the same Time, While real modelers can upload their items and become ugc Creators, People who are bad and like to ruin Roblox will upload useless items and Make the marketplace awful, I’m a ugc creator and this update will help me a lot!

8 Likes