Helpful Tips and Advice For Developers From Developers | Part Two

Part One: Helpful Tips and Advice For Developers From Developers | Part One

ExperiencersInternational

ExperiencersInternational is an incredibly talented UI Designer that technically started working on games in 2016 but got a lot more interested in 2020 which is also when ExperiencersInternational joined the forums. Since then ExperiencersInternational has accomplished many things which you find here.

Interview Highlights

In my interview with Splatoon1IsBack, there were a lot of interesting responses and I wish I could highlight them all but I can’t so here is what I think was the best part/highlight. When asked “What advice would you give to developers who are not feeling motivated?”, Splatoon1IsBack responded with the following:
To those developers feeling demotivated, don’t give up. Keep trying. If you get bored whilst working on your stuff, take a break or listen to some music/a podcast. I’ll repeat this but don’t rush.

I listed the full interview below and I highly recommend you check it out because it goes over some cool and useful stuff.

Full Interview

Question: How long have you been developing on the Roblox Platform?
Answer: I’ve been doing it technically since I joined back in 2016, my first game was filled with tons of free models and it didn’t have any purpose.

I started to get more interested in development in 2020, which was when I joined this forum, and one of the first things I did was to get feedback on one of my old games, and since then, I have made some great friends and it led to me getting more interested in developing here.

Question: What is your Proudest Accomplishment?
Answer: I would probably say being able to take part in the Connect Challenge 2022 with @Ty_Scripts, @TeaCem, and @TmsDevv, where all of us won $100 credit for placing well in the game jam.
I would also argue the fact that Roblox invited me to the whole Plugin Marketplace program in August 2022, just one month before it went public was nice as well. Despite this, Roblox has never invited me to leave any feedback about it.
Question: Are you currently working on a project? If so what is it?
Answer: My main project is my plugin auroraSuite, it’s a plugin with a bunch of small tools inside.
However, I may be working on a game that I didn’t manage to complete in time for the Connect Challenge 2023 as well.

Question: What advice would you give to people wanting to create a successful game?
Answer: I don’t think it’s my place to necessarily comment on this considering the biggest game I’ve worked on is Ro-Chat with 5K visits, and a big game development studio unfortunately stole our idea which sucks.

Question: If you have any advice for new developers what is it?
Answer: I think the best advice I could give is don’t rush your project. Make sure that your project is good before releasing it to the public.

Question: What advice would you give to developers who are not feeling motivated?
Answer: To those developers feeling demotivated, don’t give up. Keep trying. If you get bored whilst working on your stuff, take a break or listen to some music/a podcast.

I’ll repeat this again but don’t rush.

Work Showcase

UI Design:

GFX:

Check a game she worked on for connect 23: Feedback on game made for Connect Challenge 2022
More about auroraSuite: auroraSuite - Tools to help create experiences with [v1.5.3]

AmoraFolf

AmoraFolf is a very talented game designer and game maker in general. She has been developing for almost seven years on the Roblox platform. She is most known for her work in her game development studios Rulers Of The Games. She is also known for plugin AmoraFolf’s Tools which you should definitely check out.

Interview Highlights

Here are some of the best parts of my interview with AmoraFolf. I highly recommend you still look at the full interview though because there is a lot of useful information.

• If you have any advice for new developers what is it?
    Don’t jump into massive projects immediately. Start on very small games, and try messing around with code until something works. And if you need a tutorial, watch tutorials on very specific things, not on whole games, because you can become reliant on those types of tutorials instead of learning.
  • Any advice you would share with developers in general?
    Always try to have fun, and take breaks when you need to. Overworking yourself will burn you out for a long time. Also don’t let greed for Robux and money overtake your development.
Full Interview
  • How long have you been developing on the Roblox Platform?
    I’ve been developing for almost seven years (about six and eight months).
  • What is your Proudest Accomplishment?
    Completing a game that people enjoyed, and creating a small development group from it.
  • Are you currently working on a project? If so what is it?
    I’m working on two projects. One I started on a few days ago, and it’s going to be called “Buddy Obby,” where you have to play with friends, and it’s required for the two to be on mobile and computer. Each player will be able to do cool stuff that can only be done on their type of device, like using a phone’s gyroscope to rotate a part for the computer player. The other game I’m keeping secret until it’s ready for release!
    Don’t jump into massive projects immediately. Start on very small games, and try messing around with code until something works. And if you need a tutorial, watch tutorials on very specific things, not on whole games, because you can become reliant on those types of tutorials instead of learning.
  • What advice would you give to developers who are not feeling motivated?
    Take a break if you need it to feel motivated again, and maybe watch content of other people creating because that might spark ideas for projects and get you motivated again.
  • What advice would you give to people wanting to create a successful game?
    Always try to make something creative. Following trends will have your game die quickly once those types of games stop being popular. Take advice and feedback from your players and make changes accordingly, don’t just add stuff you find cool or fun. Your community will stick longer knowing you care.
    Always try to have fun, and take breaks when you need to. Overworking yourself will burn you out for a long time. Also don’t let greed for Robux and money overtake your development.
Work Showcase

Here is a link to AmoraFolf’s plugin! AmoraFolf's Tools | A Plugin

SharpSerious

SharpSerious is a very popular and amazing developer with around three years of experience being a developer on the Roblox platform. He is most popular for being a lead developer in Mano County. When asked what he is currently working on he replied “Yes, I just finished an anime game and now I’m working on a Police game where you can solve crimes committed by NPCs, it’s really entertaining!”, which I look forward to hearing more about.

Interview Highlights

Here are the best highlights from the interview I had with SharpSerious. I highly recommend you read everything in the full interview because he goes over a lot of good and useful information.

Either go in 110% or accept that you won’t be able to make it. Millions of others have the same dream as you, try to find a mentor that can help you and learn through actually good sources that reliably can help you produce results.
    Be prepared to fail, many times. The hardest role isn’t programming or 3D Modeling, it’s Game Designing. Becoming a game designer is through all the times you failed as every game designer thinks and processes information differently. It’s costly and stressful and can eat years of your life.
Full Interview
    Complicated question, maybe 3 years professionally but I started playing with the engine in 2009
  • What is your Proudest Accomplishment in development?
    Probably the fact I make a full-time living by being able to make awesome games sounds like a perfect life to me!
    Yes, I just finished an anime game and now I’m working on a Police game where you can solve crimes committed by NPCs, it’s really entertaining!
    Either go in 110% or accept that you won’t be able to make it. Millions of others have the same dream as you, try to find a mentor that can help you and learn through actually good sources that reliably can help you produce results.
    If you need help finding motivation to reach your dreams, then you need to figure out what’s truly a priority in your life. I feel like demotivation shouldn’t be a factor if you truly believe that this is your goal.
    Be prepared to fail, many times. The hardest role isn’t programming or 3D Modeling, it’s Game Designing. Becoming a game designer is through all the times you failed as every game designer thinks and processes information differently. It’s costly and stressful and can eat years of your life.
    Don’t do commissions, team up with people and get the necessary experience with succeeding by failing. Always think that you’ll come in to succeed, but be prepared to fail and use the newly gained experience to do better. Commissions don’t teach you valuable skills and it’s badly paid for by 99% of people, I understand a couple of thousand robux can be big for you, but what if you had millions of Robux?
Work Showcase

Unavailable

Linux_Detected

Linux_Detected is a very good developer that has been developing on the Roblox Platform since 2016. Linux_Detected specializes in game design and just development in general. Linux_Detected is the CEO of NetGames Official which has created some pretty good games and has over 800 members.

Interview Highlights

During my interview with Linux_Detected he talked about a lot of useful advice that I highly recommend you look at. Here are the best parts of my interview with NetGames_Official.

Take it easy take a 1 / 2 day break play other games then think about ideas for your game then see if you can add it to your project and think about the positive outcome of your game.
    Since Roblox hasn’t made it easy nowadays to make a successful game than what it use to be in 2016 I would say a lot of advertisement and determination and making the game unique helps getting a successful game.
Full Interview
    I started Roblox in 2016.
  • What is your Proudest Accomplishment?
    Netgames hotel
    Super Hard Obby and UK railway Simulator.
    Take the development path slowly try looking for alternative platforms before spending money on Roblox.
    Take it easy take a 1 / 2 day break play other games then think about ideas for your game then see if you can add it to your project and think about the positive outcome of your game.
    Since Roblox hasn’t made it easy nowadays to make a successful game than what it use to be in 2016 I would say a lot of advertisement and determination and making the game unique helps getting a successful game.
    You will come across all sorts of challenges on your development path you’re not the only one I wish you the best of luck.
Work Showcase

Article Highlights (Part 1 & 2)

There was a lot of useful information in this article and I want to go over everything useful that I didn’t put in the Interview highlights that was discussed in the full interviews. So I have decided to put the best parts of the article in a separate section.

• “If you need help finding motivation to reach your dreams, then you need to figure out what’s really a priority in your life. I feel like demotivation shouldn’t be a factor if you truly believe that this is your goal.” - SharpSerious
  • “Make sure you know what you want to create; you can create for the sake of profit or you could create for the sake of progress and to see how far the limits of Roblox can be pushed.” - joelOVIP1
  • “Make a game that you want to play! If you don’t want to play your own game, chances are others won’t either. Make the game for yourself and a few friends. Then try and get more players.” - GilCaked
  • “When I am feeling unmotivated, I always think back to why I started developing in the first place. This allows me to feel the burning passion I had when I started developing.” - Crazed
  • “Keep at it, and keep improving. Make sure to think big and set goals so high that people will call you crazy, and don’t stop until you reach them. Road will be bumpy, but the hard work will pay off eventually.” -EchoWinds
  • “Don’t be scared to fail. Plan big, do big, learn big. Dedicate whatever you have to it; if you give more to Roblox, Roblox will provide more to you; if you give nothing, you get nothing. You sow what you reap, even if the harvest takes a while to come.” - Jevangelise

Editors Notes

If you found this article helpful please consider giving it a :heart: and also sharing it because I may do more publications like this in the future :slight_smile:. I would like to thank everyone who participated in the production and everyone who agreed to be interviewed because this article would not be possible without them. I would also like to list some helpful development resources. This article was hard to write but I really enjoyed writing it and hopefully it was useful.
Development Resources

25 Likes

I thank you again for asking to feature me!
I love how this turned out, and it’s awesome being able to see different answers from everyone.

I also think it’s funny how many of us featured started in 2016 :joy:

7 Likes

Same here!

One thing I do want to quickly mention to the OP if they don’t mind is that I’d prefer to be referred as GamersInternational or ExperiencersInternational rather than my current display name Splatoon1IsBack (context: Nintendo restored servers after 5 months of being downfor a 8 year old Wii U game recently).

You’ve managed to interview some pretty amazing people like @Crazedbrick1 in this so far, interested to see who comes next.

6 Likes

I was wondering why your Display Name was that!

This sounds a lot like something I heard in an AlvinBlox video where he was interviewing Pro Roblox Scripters. I like it!

I will take this into consideration!

I have heard this a lot and plan to advertise on YouTube Shorts.

I am also determined.

Oh, I will be prepared. Believe me. I am just starting and know what to expect from seeing others.

Sounds Wise.

Thank you all for this Motivating and Inspiring post!

I hope you all have a great day!

2 Likes

Love the post and there is 100% good advice. But i cant help to say that I wish you included more advanced developers with bigger and better portfolios. With all of that aside well made post man keep it up.

3 Likes

Thank you for the support. I have a lot of bigger developers (Small Front Page Game Developers) I have secured interviews with that I will be making different articles about stuff such as promoting your game and creating a successful game. The primary reason I didn’t have too many big developers was some people wouldn’t respond, I wanted to get the article done, and it was just easier to have smaller developers. Make sure to also check out Part one if you haven’t already because I have some bigger developers there. Part One.

4 Likes

Its okay to have small developers. What i went over in the post is that i wish you interviewed more experienced developers, Because judging by the work shown the developers interviewed are intermediate.

3 Likes

It’s sorta similar. I watched that video when it came out however long ago, and I definitely took the advise to heart because I remember being very demotivated at the time

I think the issue with me is the fact I have no published work :skull:

I’m just excited to get a full game out for once. I work on one project, get bored, start on another to jog ideas for the other one, abandon the other one, only work on that one, and repeat.
But I’ve been locked into a project (which I mentioned in my interview), and I just started work on a new admin module. The admin module is mainly just to add something to my portfolio… lol

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t expect most big developers to reply via DevForum in all honesty (I assume everyone else was contacted via DevForum).

That’s probably good to be honest, since your published work will probably be high quality.

1 Like

I contacted mostly everyone through devforum because it was a lot easier then finding developers and then having to find their discord but I probably will reach out to developers through discord in the future so I can get more people to respond.

2 Likes

Even if I was one of the most popular developers on the platform I would have. I love being part of this kind of stuff :grin:

1 Like

In my opinion, I definitely think it is quality, but I don’t want to sound like I have a massive ego… I really don’t. It’s non-existent if anything :sob:

But my friends who are part of my QA team and bug testing team all say my work is really good. I hope the public will think the same once I get some out there!

2 Likes

You’ve been making games since you were 7? Sounds a bit suspicious to me…

What’s suspicious about it?

Also your math is wrong, would have been 8 or 9 I assume.

1 Like

I was eight, almost nine. My birthday is in January.

I don’t know what would be. So many people have :sob:

1 Like

I am just judging based on portfolios and previous work and u guys look more intermediate than full-on professional. It is not a bad thing considering I am something of the same level but I don’t see too much creativity or complication in ur assets. In general, though it is hard for me to believe that you have been developing for as long as you have claimed considering that there are people with less than 2 years of experience that have shown a lot more impressive assets.

Like I said, no published work. I have well over 900 places in studio, and most of them are half finished games. I like to get bored, start a new project to spark ideas, then only work on that project. My current published work has absolutely zero level to my skill level or amount of time I’ve been developing.

I’m set on two very big protects right now, though. Even if I get bored or burned out, I’m still going to work on them. I really need to get stuff on my portfolio lol

2 Likes

You might like my newest article because it features some more advanced developers with bigger portfolios. I just made an article about this if you would like to read it. How to Successfully Grow Your Game (Ft. Sensei_Developer & Vikinglaw) | Promoting and Advertising your Game

1 Like