How to Think of Unique Game Ideas

Introduction
If you are reading this you are more than likely trying to think of a good game idea and this is completely normal. There are over 40 million unique roblox games so it makes sense you are having trouble thinking of a unique and high quality game idea. I decided to make this tutorial after noticing that nobody has really made a tutorial on this before and it could be great for new developers. So in this short tutorial I will go over 3 effective methods that can help you think of high quality game ideas.

How to Think of Game Ideas

:thinking: Mind Maps
Mind Maps are a great way to find game ideas. Mind maps are very easy to use and you can find a lot of free online mind map software. You can also use Trello as a way to make mind maps just by writing down small ideas that come to mind and expanding on them. Here is a example of a mind map:
Screenshot 2023-08-07 12.35.19 PM

:video_game: Play Roblox Games
Playing Roblox games can be a great way of thinking of ideas. Now I don’t mean you should copy other games what you can do though is think of inspiration from that game’s mechanics that you can put your own spin on.

Check Out Non Roblox Games
Checking non roblox games or things for inspiration is also very effective if you look at current front page games you will find a lot of what I like to call trend games which gain popularity because they are based off trendy stuff. The only downside to this is that some games like this will die down after the trend is over. Disclaimer: This is not a good idea if you want to make a super original game! I am also not liable if you get a DMCA takedown because of your not so smart actions.

:bulb: Bonus: Use a Game Idea Generator
You can find a game idea generator just by searching Game Idea Generator in your browser. A game idea generator is great for when you are really stuck and don’t know what to make a game on.

What Makes a Good Game?
There are a few things a game needs to be successful.

1. A game must have something that will make the player want to come back to the game.

2. The game must be engaging and make players want to spend time playing the game.

3. The game must be appealing and interesting so people will want to click on the game.

End Notes
Hopefully you found this tutorial helpful if you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will be happy to answer them. I also plan on making more in depth tutorials on planning and designing games in the future.

21 Likes