Increase Range Limit of Lights

they did respond that theyre aware of the light limitations and it is assumingly on their radar as they said, but yet no update really on this post. this thread revived later after a response because nothing was done really after.

2 Likes

Uhh, The latest bedrock preview has Non-RTX shaders now.

1 Like

I love how we talking about how doubling the range limit wouldn’t affect performance
ROBLOX wouldn’t even add things like AUTO-EXPOSURE/EYE ADAPTION, I don’t understand why things like this are too much to ask

FiB have been through strange decisions, they’ve disabled it for mobile and is only accessible through other devices, yet they never want to expand the graphical fidelity beyond FiB

Knowing about the 2015 Hack Week next-generations voxel lighting was the last straw for me

5 Likes

Because its not Roblox’s decision to what developers want to do with their games, lighting can already be jailbroken using exploits and those people have not reported any performance decrease. Powering imagination? More like endorsing limitation because mobile players play adopt me, here’s a picture of my game:

My game is well optimise using scripts and lights that have a range above 10 will be counted from “Closest to player vehicle” and only 10 lights will be drawn at one time unless headlights are on to which the limit is increased to 12, I don’t see why increasing limit from 60 to maybe 256.

13 Likes

Again here! I am just here to say that increasing light’s range limit would come in hand for me and for a lot of people. I’ve already seen a lot of complaints about that and I don’t know changing a DAM number would cost a lot of time to the team. So please, we need a hugest number for the light’s range!

4 Likes

im no judge but you can check the response to my concerns in AMA here
make your own summaries if you want. personally i feel like this suggestion will go nowhere, same as with many others regarding blending or just post-processing limitations in overall.

1 Like

It has to go somewhere because this limit is well… limiting us…

They always say they power imagination, but instead they completely disregard anyone that imagines anything even remotely has an exciting idea or project with limits like these.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Any updates so far?

It’s been dead silent, as always.

1 Like

Roblox is an engine now. It should be up to the developers of a game to optimize it for the players they want, not to have the whole engine be forever weakened to accommodate for everyone. Roblox could really be a powerful competitor in the game engine market but it’s arbitrary limits hold it back. (Alongside other questionable decisions.)

15 Likes

I’m interested in seeing many of the responses to this topic become features in Roblox. The light range limitation is a huge issue in many games and fixing it would drastically improve their appearance. I’m not sure why Roblox hasn’t paid attention to this issue, maybe because of performance or something, but it’s a basic necessity in plenty of games and severely limits their size simply due to the lights. I’m also very interested in seeing lighting becoming improved on Roblox, such as light leakage reduction and better control over shadow softness and such.

5 Likes

If you remember how I asked for the VFX restrictions like light range and other stuff like that, I never received a proper answer other than “GPU-based rendering”.

This is the only legitimate answer to light range concern: Dragger QoL Improvements [Beta] - #32 by tnavarts

bitdancer and tnavarts feel like the only transparent roblox engineers to me, which is why i like them. both engage in some topics and interact with community the most. bitdancer is engaging with community anti-cheat wise while tnavarts feature request wise.

So yeah. There’s some confirmation that they’re working on doing something about it. Pretty sure that’ll come WITH GPU-based rendering. Voxel lighting easily bottlenecks my i5-3570K, so i can see the reason behind it.

6 Likes

We really need this. And if they say it’s bad for performance, is this bad for performance.

8 Likes

I think a big issue is that voxels aren’t very scalable. For example, a headlight with a range of 60 studs might light up an area of about 15x15x60 voxels, but doubling the range to 120 studs will suddenly make it light up about an area of about 30x30x120 (assuming a SpotLight, again very approximate), which is 8x as large.

This forces them to reduce how many voxels are updated per-frame, which isn’t a problem for static lightbulbs in the picture you’ve sent. The issue is that people bring up using these far-reaching lights for dynamic stuff like car headlights, but that’ll simply look way too ugly when the light keeps lagging behind the vehicle due to the slow update rate.

Of course, this is all circumvented with Future lighting, but not everybody uses that. I’m sure that the majority of games use Voxel lighting Technology.

Hopefully they can implement this when they migrate to the new voxel system they put on the Roadmap:

(under “Create rich and lifelike worlds”.)

4 Likes

I enjoy going through this post when I see the notification for it, you get to read the workarounds, issues, complaints, and ideas. One idea I had the other day is if the lighting engine could be changed while in-game via scripts and ideally per client to toggle.

Basically an amazing feature would be to be able to change lighting engines if the player saw suit, or if the context of an area in a game didn’t need complex light at the moment.

Some may doubt this isn’t possible but you can actually just do this in a playtest with roblox studio, it’s just a matter of it not working in live for some reason, though that isn’t too doubt something more complex could be at play for why it is not working.

1 Like

I completely agree with many others that developers should have greater control over their experience on Roblox. The engine has the potential to be excellent if there are fewer limitations.

5 Likes

Ohhh Roblox… Always limiting things on release then forgetting to update and keep them competitive with other engines for years. This is pretty much a classic move of the company. Roblox, please just double the range limit or something. It’s getting very annoying having to place like 6 different point lights in order to cover a decently large area.

And also, this isn’t 2014 anymore. Phones have massively improved in their strength and graphical fidelity. I know it probably isn’t easy to change and configure the lighting engine and make sure it works with other things but just please. At least add it to a calendar or something!

If you want to stay competitive with other engines, please boost this limit!!!

9 Likes

Something that is way too slow based on the hardware we’re given. It should be customizable, or at least prioritized towards a certain location in the world. Camera.Focus does almost nothing.

So, I don’t believe that there is a significant “force” to have a slow update rate, at least one that is not an artificial requirement.

2 Likes

About that limit, it should be an option in the suggestion about Roblox graphics menu (which is basically the bar called “Manual” lol).

2 Likes

I see. Yes, I’ve read that part of the thread, but it is not customizable and light shearing is inevitable even when one voxel light is moving at a rate of 30 studs per second. In my case, I would rather have frame drops than have the lights shear behind.

I simply meant the GPU acceleration.

3 Likes

I’m creating a building interior that’s just about 80 or 100 studs high (and not gonna mention how many studs wide) and the hard capped range on a single light is just 60 studs.

Can I make something big that won’t just make Roblox crap itself? Shouldn’t we be able to break the engine so the engineers can improve it?

2 Likes