Open up replies to TL1 members in #feature-requests

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to contribute with my own use-cases etc. to feature requests while still being only a DevForum Member.

Currently, replies in #feature-requests are locked to Regular+, this means that as a Member (and which we can’t get a higher trust level as of now), I am only able to react to a post by ‘hearting it’ which usually shows my support to such feature request. This means that if I have a specific use case that could contribute majorly to a feature request, or think that a feature request may not be the best for a specific reason. I must hope for the best that a Regular+ member has the same opinion on the subject as me.

Let’s take an example of where this is already the case, #feature-requests:talent-hub-features has replies open to Members+. Many non-regulars have contributed greatly to some feature requests, I think that by allowing replying on other feature request categories for members, you could get contributions like this to other feature request that otherwise may not happen.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience using the forum because all members would be able to contribute to feature requests.

21 Likes

agree, also, what are members+?

Members+ are anyone with a higher trust level than member (regular, editor, leader).

2 Likes

understood. Thanks for the info

This seems to largely be duplicating the existing active thread here: Members should be able to post in regular areas, until regular promotions come back

Can be merged together probably?

3 Likes

This feature request is directed specifically at replies in #feature-requests, whether it should be merged is something that I don’t know the answer to.

4 Likes

The only issue I see with this is necrobumps.

Otherwise, I fully support this feature.

3 Likes

Yeah, however this already happens in #bug-reports so this would only be an extra few categories for an existing issue to occur in which personally doesn’t seem like it would be a big issue in my opinion.

1 Like

Necrobumps are only a problem in #bug-reports because the cause is usually different, whereas feature requests are requesting something that hasn’t yet been added, so this shouldn’t pose any problems

3 Likes

Still annoyed that this hasn’t been added, browsing the #feature-requests category right now is incredibly frustrating since I cannot contribute my own feedback to a feature, or even interact with the post further than just ‘hearting it’.

Right now, if I seriously need to get my feedback into a feature request, I have to DM the OP and hopefully they’ll add it to the OP / consider it when writing around the OP. Not only is this not ideal, but it also means that in-cases in-where the OP no longer browses the forum / does not agree with my opinion, my opinion is lost.

8 Likes

I completely agree. There are some posts in the category where I REALLY want to give my feedback, but there’s absolutely no way. No alternatives :frowning:

2 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to support feature requests that would benefit my development experience. As far as I know, members can only reply to topics in #feature-requests:talent-hub-features . Threads in this category have received a large amount of feedback and have not only supported quality requests, but have helped to better polish them.

Even if off topic, low quality, or troll replies are made, they are easier for forum moderators to moderate, considering the lack of criteria to reply in comparison to writing a request- supporting a request is easier than writing one, and it’s a lot more black and white between supporting and trolling.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience developing and using the forum because it would allow me (and other members) to support quality feature requests that have been buried- an example would be here.

(copied and pasted from my post here - which I made before realizing I made a duplicate of this topic. Oops)

2 Likes

This is still the case and greatly impacts my ability to contribute to any feature-requests, practically making it impossible to do so. It’s bad for everyone if members have to message the original feature-request creator (if they even have their messages open) just to have the chance of having their opinion on such feature-request heard. As stated further up on this topic there is no-reason (at least from what the community is aware of) for this to not be the case, however I’d love to hear from a forum-admin if there actually is a reason for why this is the case…

If the reason for this is because ‘we are working on a way for members to rank up’, please don’t wait for that to happen, it’s been just under 2 years without the ability to rank-up (and over 6 months since this request was originally made) so let’s face it, it’s likely not going to happen anytime soon, it’s better to have band-aid solutions now and have the long-term solutions when those solutions are ready. The community should not suffer while you work on that long-term solution.

1 Like

Only a week has passed since I last replied to this topic and I’ve already came-across 3 occurances in where I could not share my feedback on certain features because of the lack of replies for members (in all of these cases, the OP had their DMs closed, so my little workaround won’t work). To re-iterate, I am NOT requesting that #feature-requests should be entirely open for members to create posts in, I am simply requesting that members be allowed to at least reply in the section. This problem seems to be gettting a lot worse as a lot of people are starting to close messages now (possibly due to the fact that members are forced to DM the feature-request creator which requires them to close messages in order to ‘escape the spam’ from members)

It’s incredibly dissapointing to me that as a TL1 member I can’t put any input into any feature requests on the platform, and instead must throw my feedback to the nearest regular in order to get my opinion heard, which is still unlikely to happen anyway. I would love to see staff acknowledge this topic because it’s something that affects everyone who isn’t TL2+, and the lack of response currently feels to me like this issue isn’t being treated seriously enough.

1 Like

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to support feature requests that would benefit my development experience. As far as I know, members can only reply to topics in #feature-requests:talent-hub-features . Threads in this category have received a large amount of feedback and have not only supported quality requests, but have helped to better polish them. Some examples include:

Even if off topic, low quality, or troll replies are made, they are easier for forum moderators to moderate, considering the lack of criteria to reply in comparison to writing a request- supporting a request is easier than writing one, and it’s a lot more black and white between supporting and trolling.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my experience developing and using the forum because it would allow me (and other members) to support quality feature requests that have been buried- an example would be here.

10 Likes

I’m down. Everybody should have a voice

4 Likes

Full support. Limiting people from making suggestions is one thing, but not allowing them to even support already-made suggestions is downright ludicrous and disrespectful.

Serious features that we desperately need for the platform to continue to evolve are going embarrassingly under-supported because there’s simply not enough Regular people to represent the majority of developers as a whole.

Take for example “Developers are not equipped to deal with exploiters”. The thread was originally posted in Development Discussion and gained a lot of attention and support, but now since it was moved to Website Features it’s barely getting any traction. Clear indication of how impactful these restrictions really are.

Examples of requests I want to give support for but simply can’t

3 Likes

Tl;dr

I think in order for this to be viable, there need to be much clearer guidelines in regards to replying to feature requests first.

I think one thing to point out, while I do agree with improving the permissions system on the forums, replies to feature requests are heavily misused, even by the limited set of people with access to reply.

As I understand it, replying to feature requests to “show support” unfortunately just isn’t a good way to show support, it just isn’t how requests are tracked by Roblox. It’s always going to be better to like the request than to make a reply (as counter-intuitive as that sounds) because it leaves less text to process for Roblox staff and leaves more room for replies to be used to highlight things in the feature request itself (either problems, or important considerations that aren’t addressed in the feature request)

It isn’t very productive if replies are a free for all since there’s always going to be strong sentiment one way or the other.

A notable problem, is often people reply attempting to solve feature requests (like scripting support posts). The problem though is this simply isn’t the point of feature requests. It’s okay to note existing alternatives in the engine, but using feature requests to find in-engine solutions to problems would be an inappropriate use so the primary goal shouldn’t really be to find an in-engine solution.

Obviously there are times where feature requests are going to be unnecessary as a result of in-engine solutions, but, as an example, in this request there are multiple replies mentioning things like setting FallenPartsDestroyHeight to NaN and there is a lot of long discussion about this.

Another problem is replies which sort of just shoot down feature requests without providing much reason or really contributing a whole lot. It ends up in an unfortunately very watered down replies section and I have no doubt that this makes it difficult for Roblox staff to deal with the feature requests.

This really isn’t something that should happen so much under feature requests because the point really isn’t to find an existing in-engine solution, it’s to request better solutions (or make previously impossible things possible)

1 Like

The reasoning behind leaving a reply comes more down to bumping the request so engineers will see it prioritized while leaving a single like won’t.

If a thread gets bumped constantly then the likelihood of it being considered is going to increase, but if the only people that have access to that functionality are a select few then barely any change will be made.

1 Like

This isn’t true though as far as I am aware, they use external tools, not the forums to keep track of this kind of stuff.