We’re very excited to announce the Beta release of Packages!
What are Packages?
Packages are a new Studio feature that is entirely focused on improving reusability in Roblox game development.
They allows you to “package” up parts of your game that you want to reuse multiple times, such as a Model that you want to have many copies of around your level, or a collection of Scripts you want to use across different games.
The key advantage of Packages over existing ways to reuse content (like copy-pasting a Model) is that every Package copy retains a link to its asset in the cloud, which means you can make changes to one copy and then propagate those changes to any other copy.
To make your first Package, right-click on an object in the Explorer and select “Convert to Package”:
You can now reuse that Package in different locations around your place, or even in many different places/different games.
Here’s what’s available in this initial Beta release:
- Make game assets reusable by saving them to your account as Packages
- Reuse a Package by making copies across different places & across different games
- Nesting: Packages can contain other Packages to allow for advanced reusability
- See all Packages you’ve created in the Toolbox under “My Packages”
- See all Packages you’ve added to the current game in the Game Explorer
- Make changes to any copy and publish those changes as a new version of the asset
- Update any Package copy to the latest version via “Get Latest”
- Multi-Select Update: Get Latest for all Package copies in selection at once
- View Script Changes: See changes to scripts within a Package before updating
As this is the Beta release of Packages, some flows may change based on your feedback. Here’s the current plan to expand the capabilities of Packages and further improve their usefulness:
- Mass-Update: Update ALL copies of a Package across all of my places (without opening each place)
- Auto-Update: Mark my Package copies to receive updates automatically
- Access Permissions: Share edit-access (or just use-access) to your Packages with others (& Groups)
- More API: Packages-specific insert API to use a particular version via scripts
- Version History Comments: Leave messages to your collaborators about your changes
Please see the DevHub page for more info and examples:
How will you use Packages? Will the upcoming features provide value to you?
Let us know below and help shape the future of this feature!