Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles

Hmm… The update is already out. But why Sponsored experience is still showing Icon not 16:9 experience tiles?

1 Like

They probably haven’t gotten to that part of it yet. With the Agile development methodology, you roll features out over time.

1 Like

Now THIS is awesome

Thanks Roblox, very cool :+1:

5 Likes

Oh thank you!!! Another great decision!

I’m pretty sure this was intentional

Isn’t it important to know if there are actually other players playing a game in some cases? For example, if there’s a minigame that requires 2 players to start.

Either way, not a fan of deferring to only showing the like/dislike ratio for these reasons:

There is still real estate to show CCU. Hiding it due to abuse makes minimal sense, as other aspects can and will always be gamed. If CCU is gamed, deprioritize the game from discovery instead. Making game stats + discovery even more of a black box for users is not user-friendly and feels coddling. It is not a delightful experience, especially for older users, even if metrics show a “positive” change.

5 Likes

How? It will increase player count on generally less populated games because people won’t be joining based on player count.

1 Like

W updateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2 Likes

If a game is actively showing up on the Discover page, I think it’s very unlikely it would have less than 100 players, let alone 0 players. And with this update I expect those games with the least players to have a better shot at getting more players quickly.

1 Like

This change is to the home page, not the discover page. Assuming that was just a mistake in your message, that’s not universally true. Most of the games I get recommended have very few players at any given time, because I spend most of my playtime in niche corners of the platform.

A lot of them are clanning games that only lose out from not having playercount displayed, since they’re not meant to always have people on, but instead rally a good number all at once at specific times. Quite a lot of smaller group games are built around the premise of only being enjoyable when people are online to host events and not being able to see when that is at a glance outside of Discord is lame.

2 Likes

Seems to boost player counts on games that previously had less players.

Screenshot of Live CCUs on an old dying tycoon.

4 Likes

I hope an extension such as ro pro adds this.

1 Like

A moment of silence to devs who have a higher difficulty or complexity games that are being downrated to oblivion by players who want every experience to have an “autoplay” button.

3 Likes

tl;dr Give me genres. Good change though, and welcome to see how it plays out.

I will never believe this as genuine until developer-defined genre sorting makes a return and algorithms favour other factors besides monetisation (they probably do but it feels like they don’t). There needs to be more aggressive steps towards providing niches a chance to shine. This is a great first step in that direction, but I still need the whole package.

Popularity bias still exists in the algorithms and sorts that are not picked out by developers but instead by staff and/or automation, which will continue to be absurd. I hope and pray these are moves towards trusting developers with genre sorts because last time there was a disappointingly unsatisfactory answer about the return of genres.

1 Like

i like the idea of having the 16:9 thumbnails as the icons; however, i really want the player count back when it shows me games.

2 Likes

I know right. Hopefully they can also add an option to affect all games too, so that it isn’t just on the home page but also on discover. @Dice_RoPro

@ivy_poisond @ivy_poisond @ivy_poisond Please … review … this … with … the … team… … … … … … I don’t want to check out any of these newer experiences because I know basically nothing about them! If you think I’m going to use the recommend for you section after this update, you’re wrong. I don’t have the patience to guess which games matter.

This update backfired, so double check your experiments because the comment section here paints a different picture. I wouldn’t be suprised if someone makes an extension to make the improvements such as Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles - #56 by debugMage or
Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles - #66 by idorosem or Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles - #133 by synical4 or Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles - #178 by ittrgrey. These people are not paid to come up with these ideas, yet they somehow came up with better ideas than the team behind this update. Congrats!:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: Simply put, the people behind this update had a job to do and did it perfectly (no shame to them), but when people aren’t being restricted by the ideas of some random person, it’s almost like their job can become more productive. I’m positive someone behind this update disagreed with removing the player count, but their opinion was shut down. I think the picture below sums up my feelings towards this update…

4 Likes

I really wish the home page would stop changing all the time… I just refreshed my page and now I have a totally new font and my home page only takes up like 60% of my screen…

Even with AdBlock disabled there is still so much screen space just left unused, its so uglyyyy

(Shoutout dev forum for just blocking the image, if you click it it loads)

5 Likes

Gotcha, and yep that was a mistake on my part. The unique case of clan games is an understandable objection. But I understand Roblox not weighing that use case very heavily since clans are so niche.

Oh wow, cool!

I fixed it by removing all the bloat. I don’t need to have 4 different categories for recommendations.

2 Likes